• ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Next, need new pots!

Ok, I placed a bid on a set on eBay. Pending bidding in the next few hours, I should have a decent set of 4 pans. Griswold & Wagner, a pair each.

Secondly, I'd like to replace my pots. I'd like something equally health-conscious. And good quality. I make soups a lot. What do you guys use? Stainless steel?

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    +++1 for cast iron.

My grandmother just gave me her cast iron. That is what we cook most things on. I have a nice pan that looks like black glass. The seasoning is so thick and smooth.

She also gave us a Griswold dutch over. it doesn't have the lid which was common back then. However a correct lid alone can run over 100 bucks.

we use the salt and a scrubby to clean. mostly just a paper towel is all that is needed to clean up the well seasoned pans.

The ones that we got with rust . I took a brass drill brush and got the pans to the metal and we re-seasoned. Some need to be done again since there is rust is some odd spots, but not on the main cooking area.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Ok, I placed a bid on a set on eBay. Pending bidding in the next few hours, I should have a decent set of 4 pans. Griswold & Wagner, a pair each.

Secondly, I'd like to replace my pots. I'd like something equally health-conscious. And good quality. I make soups a lot. What do you guys use? Stainless steel?

If you're looking on ebay, search seller "bigbuycity", they have tons of enamel coated cast iron pans, very reasonably priced, low shipping costs, and in various sizes from 3 quarts up to 12 quarts last time I checked. I bought a 3, 5 and 7 quart from them a few years back.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

Yep. Stainless is the way to go. It doesn't leach and is pretty neutral and forgiving. You can wash them anyway you want and they'll last for years and years. If you can find them, spend the few bucks more and get a decent set of Revere ware. You can get them on Amazon, if you can't find them locally. I love mine. Get a series of them from 2 qt on up. You won't be disappointed with them. Nice thick bottoms (some are copper clad, too).

Edit: NY has a point. A nice enamel clad is good, too. A Le Creuset is kinda pricey, but well worth it in the long run. I've got a knock off I'm happy with, tho. Very useful for everything from pot roast to beans and stews. And it works on my electric.

Mog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Stainless steel!

Good luck on the bidding!

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    As far as I can tell. It just doesn't seem to cook right on the flat top. An old coil electric would work fine, tho.

Hmm...I know an actual flame is preferred, but I use a glass top with my cast irons and they seem to work just fine; I may have to let it sit for a bit longer before it's hot, but I've never had any issues.

Heck, I've even fried chicken in this cast iron pan that the only way to describe it is a dutch oven without legs(and didn't use a lid) and it turned out perfectly.

Ebay for cast iron, really? Isn't that going to cost an arm and a leg in shipping costs?

Mog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have all cast iron pans-- several from my grandmother that are still going stronger than ever. The larger skillet from my grandmother (10", unknown pedigree) is just smooth as butter-- no modern teflon could ever come close! I use them on my gas stove, charcoal grill, campfire, whatever-- they go from one to the other and back without a hitch. I swish 'em out with hot water and a scrubbie, or coarse salt and oil or crisco if it looks a little "dry". I've trolled garage sales and flea markets- and don't overlook the Feast of the Hunter's moon and similar events. I've found some of my best cookware there!! I got a really abused ugly looking rusty thing several years ago-- SOS pads and liberal applilcation of elbow grease, little crisco-- and it's now one of my favorite pans.

Stainless steel for pots, although I have one enamelled cast iron one that I really like. Teflon and aluminum-- that stuff is crap!

I use it almost exclusively. The only other thing I have is stainless steel. Not that steel coated aluminum stuff either.
    As far as Teflon...stay the heck away from that crap.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    LOL. My guess is that Rambone would love to take a trip to the Phillipines to pick up his set. :rockwoot:

I guess if he really wants to.. I got mine at a show in the Coliseum. It's just a tad closer than the Philippines and the stuff is made here in the USofA anyhow...

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Revere Ware

Yep. Stainless is the way to go. It doesn't leach and is pretty neutral and forgiving. You can wash them anyway you want and they'll last for years and years. If you can find them, spend the few bucks more and get a decent set of Revere ware. You can get them on Amazon, if you can't find them locally. I love mine. Get a series of them from 2 qt on up. You won't be disappointed with them. Nice thick bottoms (some are copper clad, too).

I had trouble with a Revere Ware pan (one that I intend to replace). The cooking surface is covered with these fine little grooves that form concentric circles. Food gets stuck in there every time I use it. Scrambled eggs are the worst. Its a pain to clean.

Maybe the pots don't have this problem?

Looks like this on the pan surface:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I had trouble with a Revere Ware pan (one that I intend to replace). The cooking surface is covered with these fine little grooves that form concentric circles. Food gets stuck in there every time I use it. Scrambled eggs are the worst. Its a pain to clean.

Maybe the pots don't have this problem?

Looks like this on the pan surface:

Yeah, none of my Revereware pans have anything like that. Just a smooth stainless surface. That reminds me of Circulon or something like it. T-Fal or the like. I've never seen a pan with patterning.

Mog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My mother had Revere Ware- she LOVED it, and so did I-- but she refuses to give it up. She got hers as a wedding present or shortly after they were married-- uh, few years ago. Near as I can tell it's just not the same now-- I'm not impressed with any of the modern Revere Ware I've seen. I have one all clad stock pot that's a GREAT pot-- not sure of the vintage, though.

I had trouble with a Revere Ware pan (one that I intend to replace).

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I can't tell you of any good american made brands because I don't own any. But i do own a slough of Texsport brand cast iron, and they are all amazing and cheap.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US

Edit: NY has a point. A nice enamel clad is good, too. A Le Creuset is kinda pricey, but well worth it in the long run. I've got a knock off I'm happy with, tho. Very useful for everything from pot roast to beans and stews. And it works on my electric.

The only thing you CAN'T wash stainless with is warm bleach water. Chlorine will react with the stainless and ruin the pan. The warmer the liquid, the faster it destroys.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    another con: NOT suppose to use cast iron on newer style flat top electric ranges.

:dunno: :scratch: :n00b:

I use it almost exclusively. The only other thing I have is stainless steel. Not that steel coated aluminum stuff either.
    As far as Teflon...stay the heck away from that crap.

:+1:

As far as I can tell. It just doesn't seem to cook right on the flat top. An old coil electric would work fine, tho.

Mine works just fine on my glass cook top stove. I use my cast iron skillet almost exclusively when cooking meats. ( I bake chicken in corningware glass baking pans sometimes).

Hmm...I know an actual flame is preferred, but I use a glass top with my cast irons and they seem to work just fine; I may have to let it sit for a bit longer before it's hot, but I've never had any issues.

Heck, I've even fried chicken in this cast iron pan that the only way to describe it is a dutch oven without legs(and didn't use a lid) and it turned out perfectly.

Ebay for cast iron, really? Isn't that going to cost an arm and a leg in shipping costs?

I also use a glass top on my cast irons with no issues.

Usually for steaks I get the pan very hot and sear the steaks on every side, then toss the whole pan in the oven @ 350 until medium to medium well. Burgers get a lower slower cook all up top on the cooktop under a glass lid.

I get rave reviews for both my steaks and burgers from friends and family.:dunno:

:twocents:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I have been collecting cast iron cookware for about a year now. I got started when DHolder cooked up some awesome food for us at the survival class last year in his dutch oven. It intrigued me so I started buying it up at yard sales, flea markets, etc. I like to cook. my wife sucks at cooking even in the microwave so i just let her call in our orders now. I dont cook often but hopefully will use it this year for camping.

Top Bottom