• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Found someplace to put a Nikon 2x20 scope I picked up a year ago and have used on a couple of guns, but I bought red dots for them.
    I can't wait to get it dialed in next week so I can see how it shoots against the SW 41.
    It had at least better beat a Ruger Mark 3 I picked up in a rifle combo awhile back that I put a Dagger Defense red dot on.

gy5rjl4.jpg
    l48gWAU.jpg
    D4kznWi.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Wow OP, I'm impressed! That is a difficult model of Beretta to come up with...yours is beautiful! :cool:

Got lucky: timing is everything. :)
    Right place, right time, great "profile," decent price: never saw it in a shop before, only online in other states on Armslist or Gunbroker.
    Got some wooden grips coming for it just for fun!

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Nice Beretta , I think the shop over in Muncie had one last time I was in there. That was earlier this year. The 2X Nikon should really show the accuracy of the 87 at least when shooting from a rest. Shooting free handed might be more challenging if your are not used to shooting with a scope.

I am going to use a Leupold 2X on my 617 today since I am sending the Venom red dot that was on there back to Vortex this week. At least it will give me a chance to see what ammo the revolver really likes taking the human factor out of the equation when I try some rested targets.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Nice Beretta , I think the shop over in Muncie had one last time I was in there.
    That was earlier this year.

Be interested to know the price. Asking $850, or more, maybe?
    Hopefully, buyers will know the story/profile of the gun before buying, which I like to know.

The 2X Nikon should really show the accuracy of the 87 at least when shooting from a rest.
    Shooting free handed might be more challenging if your are not used to shooting with a scope.

I always shoot from a rest anymore, unless I'm shooting my CC (Sig 365 w/safety).
    I have experienced the frailty of shooting with too much magnification w/o rest.

I am going to use a Leupold 2X on my 617 today since I am sending the Venom red dot that was on there back to Vortex this week.
    At least it will give me a chance to see what ammo the revolver really likes taking the human factor out of the equation when I try some rested targets.

I would love to put an optic on one of my revolvers: SW 17 or Dan Wesson .22 (the beast: 8" barrel & 54 oz. w/sweeeet trigger).
    Both bought from members here that I've bought & sold to before.

At least post 1 pic of your range time: it would be cool.
    I post some of mine with some being pitiful, some fair, some OK: I haven't captured that "cloverleaf" I keep reading about. :laugh:

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Good to know! :thumbsup:
    I'm curious as to what other semi-autos he outshoots with the 87T.
    Also, does he use Standard Velocity as Beretta recommends b/c HV will damage the 87T (like the SW 41).
    He has an assortment of ammo so no telling what he has run through it. He was shooting against guys with high standards, Rugers, smith 41s. There was a variety and he was the only Beretta. Most of the guys shooting indoors were running 45ACP 1911s and he went with a Beretta 92 and was able to hold his own with handloads.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Hopefully, buyers will know the story/profile of the gun before buying, which I like to know.

I'm not thinking it was that high , I'll try to go in there this weekend but it was a couple of months ago last time I was in there so its likely not there.

At least post 1 pic of your range time: it would be cool.

Some 25 yard 12 shot groups today. Not as good as I had hoped for but there were some focus issue with my eyes using the scope despite adjusting the scope multiple times. Really NEED to get a new prescription! The first target target is CCI Blazer and the last two are with Federal Target. The last target was actually fired first and I moved the windage to fire the middle target. I will try again after giving the gun a good cleaning and a few other things I want to try.

Attachments

• a 617 25 scope 1.jpg
      a 617 25 scope 1.jpg
      14.2 KB · Views: 2
    • a 617 25 scope 2.jpg
      a 617 25 scope 2.jpg
      13.9 KB · Views: 3
    • a 617 25 scope.jpg
      a 617 25 scope.jpg
      13.3 KB · Views: 2

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The guy whose gun I bought got back with me & I got the answers to my questions.
    Gun was bought a year ago in 2019.

The older man who owned it (meaning older than myself :)), only put 200 rounds through it & said he had no issue with the ammo he used.
    He said he used Federal SV (black & white box) that comes in packs of 325.
    He said if he would have had my issues with it he would have thrown it out into the yard (love the communication style of old men).

I don't know whether the firing pin & its chamber can be gummed up in only 200 rds., if let sit for a year?
    I'll continue to shoot it to see if it gets better or worse.
    Since I'm not going to tackle taking the gun down to the firing pin & out of its chamber & cleaning both I'll find someone to do it if necessary.
    It's over my pay grade. :dunno:

I tried searching Youtube for a video on bolt disassembly and/or firing pin replacement for the Beretta 87, but there's precious little information out there on them. All I found were basic field strip instructions.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Now I see what you were talking about. Very interesting find. I have never seen one of these. Congrats and thanks for the Uberti. :ingo:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Beretta User Manual - not much help but thought I'd link it in case you don't have it.

Exploded View - Might be helpful

Beretta Web
    - resource for stuff Beretta.

Want a new 87T? In stock here for $800.

I have some of it in my research, but I'll add it to my Beretta 87 Target file!
    Thanks! :thumbsup:

I have seen the 87 for sale for $800 & even a few bucks less, but then there is the shipping, FFL fees & taxes, of course.
    When I wanted to buy one on Gunbroker for $855 it ended up being $1015 with all the fees (including lifetime warranty/$42).

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Sold the today Uberti Stallion .22LR & with the Mark 4 Target selling tomorrow will help pay for the "expensive" unexpected appearance of the Beretta 87 Target in my life. :spend:
    Yes, that's me, the thrifty one on a budget. :dunno:

Since I wanted the Uberti Cattleman with a 12 round cylinder anyway: no sacrifice there.
    I can wait to get a Cattleman later, especially since I got the "new" super-revolver' (SW 17-4) to have fun with.
    The Mark 4 Target I enjoy shooting, I've had 3 of them, but with the 87T (& with a scope mounted), I can live w/o it.

Range time tomorrow, after getting the scope adjusted & seeing how well it shoots, I'll probably lose interest in shooting the Browning & it will go next.
    Hopefully, I'll have time to see how it shoots against the SW 41: let the games begin.:rockwoot:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    3rd range day with the Beretta 87 Target with a Nikon 2x20 scope & comparing it to the SW 41 with a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot & a Ruger Mark 3 with a Dagger Defense red dot.

At 21':
    Beretta 87T = 11 "points"
    SW 41 = 19 "points

At 30':
    SW 41 much tighter groups.

Beretta 87 T with a Nikon 2x20 scope shooting at 21' & 30' compared to the SW 41 with a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot.
    6qtKuQG.jpg

3rd range day with the Beretta 87 T & comparing it to the Ruger Mark 3 .
    At 21':
    Beretta 87T = 16 "points"
    SW 41 = 21 "points"

At 30':
    Beretta 87T clear winner with one of the best groups all day. This would indicate that it is not the gun, but my eye/hand that is the problem in getting the best from it.

Beretta 87 T with a Nikon 2x20 scope shooting at 21' & 30' compared to the Ruger Mark 3 with a Dagger Defense red dot.
    aMZz4xA.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Got my walnut wood grips in quickly!
    My wife liked the black plastic ones better, even the way they felt. :dunno:
    Bonus was they only cost about $10 more (if memory serves) than the wood grips I got for the Beretta Tomcat that I can't part with.

Es3ESyq.jpg
    ZLGZXnp.jpg

r3Gh1QJ.jpg

YDRpXBT.jpg

Last edited:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008

Went to the shop in Muncie and the Beretta 87 was still there , price was $599. Thought of buying a used Beretta Neos they had there at $199 but ended up with a Ruger LCP II 22lr bought at Rural King. Hope to test it out later today.

Top Bottom