• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    As to the mags, only use MecGar mags! That is who makes the mags for Beretta. But you can usually find them a little cheaper separately than buying them through Beretta. They are very high quality and do not have the drop free and jamming issues the cheaper government contract mags have.

ALSO.....

You can now make ANY 92F gun or newer into a decocker only model for just $55 using the Beretta conversion kit.

Beretta M9 - 92/96 G Conversion Kit

It seems that Beretta USA is out right now. But I have been able to find them on other websites too.

This helps a ton and now I like my 92F (not FS) more than ever before. The kit I got was very well built and seems to be durable as well. It is all metal with no plastic parts and even extra springs and plungers in case you loose one.

Well...well worth the $55 IMHO!

I'm hoping there will be some milsurp m9's some day. I'd love to have one. I'd be sorely tempted to get one and do exactly as you describe.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    The Beretta 92FS is my favorite handgun to shoot, tied with my S&W 19. The sights are good and the wooden grips on it make the gun fatter and fits my big hands better. Shooting steel targets at 50 yards eith it is fun. I have had only one hiccup with mine. It failed to feed one jhp, i was using a 96 mag in it though when the malfunction occurred. The safety is something you can train with or just get the decocker kit

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    One change you will find many 92FS owners do is replace the factory F hammer spring with the spring from the D. Much lighter trigger pull.

Also about the trigger, many people complain about it being slightly gritty out of the box. Then they report that after shooting a few rounds through, or using a snap-cap to dry fire, the trigger polishes itself very nicely.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    One change you will find many 92FS owners do is replace the factory F hammer spring with the spring from the D. Much lighter trigger pull.

A standard 1911 Government main spring will also do the trick. This was "discovered" by the ARMY Marksmanship Unit and this trick even cleans up the trigger on the Beretta copies from Taurus. I did the spring swap on my dads T-99 and he was astounded at the difference a spring change made.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    A standard 1911 Government main spring will also do the trick. This was "discovered" by the ARMY Marksmanship Unit and this trick even cleans up the trigger on the Beretta copies from Taurus. I did the spring swap on my dads T-99 and he was astounded at the difference a spring change made.

Interesting, THANKS!!!!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

a 17 or 18 lb 1911 mainspring will work w. About any major brand primer (should incl cci), but may not work w. Eastern block stuff.
    16 or 17 should work with fed or win primers
    15 will work with fed only, expect a 1-5% failure with win primers
    15 lb will be 100% reliable with federal primers, you can even cut a couple coils off (with 2 coils cut, it’ll be stupid light, but lock time starts to really suffer, so I used uncut 15 lb springs)

all that that testing was done with the lightened Elite series hammers. Regular hammers may not hit quite as hard so ymmv.

-rvb

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    It's a reliable, robust, and proven design. Spare mags and holsters are everywhere.

I found that the grip felt larger than it was, and I had trouble manipulating the slide mounted safety. I have an old injury on my thumb that limits my motion, so it was probably me and not the gun.

Solid service weapon that I wanted to like, it just didn't fit me well.

jfw46544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Hot Springs Village, AR
    As to the mags, only use MecGar mags! That is who makes the mags for Beretta. But you can usually find them a little cheaper separately than buying them through Beretta. They are very high quality and do not have the drop free and jamming issues the cheaper government contract mags have.

ALSO.....

You can now make ANY 92F gun or newer into a decocker only model for just $55 using the Beretta conversion kit.

Beretta M9 - 92/96 G Conversion Kit

It seems that Beretta USA is out right now. But I have been able to find them on other websites too.

This helps a ton and now I like my 92F (not FS) more than ever before. The kit I got was very well built and seems to be durable as well. It is all metal with no plastic parts and even extra springs and plungers in case you loose one.

Well...well worth the $55 IMHO!

Thank you. I was not aware of this upgrade. I just ordered one to try it out.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    As much as I wanted to hate the Beretta 92 AKA M9 when I was forced to give up my S&W model 15 in the USAF I can't. They ran and ran. All the "problems" a lot of folks complained we didn't see with ours and I carried one Almost daily from 1990 ish til 2000 and as a Guardsman several months at a time activated until 2007 plus all the training was gave they ran with minimal issues (and considering most Military trips would tear yp an anvil with a sponge if left alone for 5 min that's saying something)

Also have used the 92 DAO Vertec as an agency issued fun and they work but my only critical issue is they put polymer triggers in newer ones so if I got my own I'd replace with a metal trigger. The polymer trigger is the weak link on newer stock Beretta (at least that's what breaks if they do on our training guns

JimmieG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2017
    South Bend
    Absolutely love my vertec. Can shoot it all day long without fatigue. Very accurate. As said before, you master the slide mount safety easily, without using both hands.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    As much as I wanted to hate the Beretta 92 AKA M9 when I was forced to give up my S&W model 15 in the USAF I can't. They ran and ran. All the "problems" a lot of folks complained we didn't see with ours and I carried one Almost daily from 1990 ish til 2000 and as a Guardsman several months at a time activated until 2007 plus all the training was gave they ran with minimal issues (and considering most Military trips would tear yp an anvil with a sponge if left alone for 5 min that's saying something)

Also have used the 92 DAO Vertec as an agency issued fun and they work but my only critical issue is they put polymer triggers in newer ones so if I got my own I'd replace with a metal trigger. The polymer trigger is the weak link on newer stock Beretta (at least that's what breaks if they do on our training guns

From what I have been told, that polymer trigger uses a steel skeleton with a plastic coating over it. It is not one piece plastic and very unlikely to break. Why Beretta went to that I can't figure, since weight savings is negligible, and there can't be much of a savings over the old solid metal trigger.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    From what I have been told, that polymer trigger uses a steel skeleton with a plastic coating over it. It is not one piece plastic and very unlikely to break. Why Beretta went to that I can't figure, since weight savings is negligible, and there can't be much of a savings over the old solid metal trigger.

They are poly throughout and we have several become "Dead Triggers" each year. In fairness those we're used as Training ng guns. Our duty guns are good to go I'd just prefer a meteal trigger. Issue is A gouge gets rubbed I to them and they will not reset. As far as the M9 (and Centerians we have as well) metal triggers and never an issue. And even the Beretta Armorer when certifying our Armorers even recommend changing to a metal trigger.

We are going to M&P's at some point unless the contract gets changed.

Top Bottom