• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Don't cerakote it. It takes a lot of work to disassemble stop coat, then a couple hundred break in rounds. You will lose, big time. I hate to say it, but there are cheaper rattle can based solutions from Brownells. Strip it get the frame bead blasted and spray it yourself. Cerakote something you intend to keep, otherwise it's pure loss.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    My Glock 19X that you shot had Talon rubber "grips" on it. A strip of the same material on the front and back straps would cover the nicks.

It also comes in a "granulate" texture but I find that to be way too rough.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    3. I haven't got to the point yet where I'm buying guns I won't get my money out of.

I was talking about not getting your money out of it if you cerakoted it. Though there are times where making a gun yours and customizing it is the way to go. Not sure this one is it, but was just a comment that if you do cerakote it, you will not get your money back out of it (cost of gun plus cerakote).

Don't cerakote it. It takes a lot of work to disassemble stop coat, then a couple hundred break in rounds. You will lose, big time. I hate to say it, but there are cheaper rattle can based solutions from Brownells. Strip it get the frame bead blasted and spray it yourself. Cerakote something you intend to keep, otherwise it's pure loss.

True, but if the gun is a good shooter and otherwise in great shape, and would be something he would keep, then go for it. But yeah, kind of my thinking, would be more than he would ever get out of it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. That's what I figured.
    2. You cannot imagine how little I'm willing to do to make a gun "pretty." I can live with imperfections before I go to all that trouble.

My Glock 19X that you shot had Talon rubber "grips" on it. A strip of the same material on the front and back straps would cover the nicks.
    It also comes in a "granulate" texture but I find that to be way too rough.

3. Now we are talking. Sounds like a simple quick solution.
    4. I just don't want to look at it, if I can put some kind of textured tape over it: consider it done.
    5. Do I goto about
    anygunshop for it, or do I have to order it?
    6. There is a great shop that caters to the police over around 21st/Shadeland Ave.area where I can't even buy a gun, who have to be police, but there
    are great holsters and supplies there.
    7. I bought an ankle holster and a pocket holster there.
    8. Waslookingonlineabout
    themand see they have them for the Glock, and I wonder if there is one specifically for the Beretta 92.
    8. I
    don'tsee how you cut up material a nd apply it w/o a seam,
    butobviously somehow they do, b/c what I'm looking at looks like part of the grip itself.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    1. That's what I figured.
    2. You cannot imagine how little I'm willing to do to make a gun "pretty." I can live with imperfections before I go to all that trouble.

3. Now we are talking. Sounds like a simple quick solution.
    4. I just don't want to look at it, if I can put some kind of textured tape over it: consider it done.
    5. Do I goto about
    anygunshop for it, or do I have to order it?
    6. There is a great shop that caters to the police over around 21st/Shadeland Ave.area where I can't even buy a gun, who have to be police, but there
    are great holsters and supplies there.
    7. I bought an ankle holster and a pocket holster there.
    8. Waslookingonlineabout
    themand see they have them for the Glock, and I wonder if there is one specifically for the Beretta 92.
    8. I
    don'tsee how you cut up material a nd apply it w/o a seam,
    butobviously somehow they do, b/c what I'm looking at looks like part of the grip itself.

I'm pretty sure USDS had them a couple of weeks ago. They've got a fair section of the grip tapes. Call first I"d think.
    Talon does make a nice grip/tape system for the 92 series.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    My buddy just ordered SOG base 92 (NOT HAND PICKED) just what they are selling at the base price. I'll let you know if it looks any better than yours. For what its worth,, that isnt a bad price for what you got but i tend to agree that firearm doesnt look like excellent condition to me.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ... but i tend to agree that firearm doesnt look like excellent condition to me.

FWIW...Excellent = mechanically excellent (not cosmetically).

From their website....

"$269.00 - Excellent (Mechanically excellent, cosmetically may have some wear on alloy frame finish.)

$239.00 - Good to Very Good (Mechanically excellent, cosmetically a little more wear on finish, but still nice pistols.)"

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My buddy just ordered SOG base 92 (NOT HAND PICKED) just what they are selling at the base price. I'll let you know if it looks any better than yours. For what its worth,, that isnt a bad price for what you got but i tend to agree that firearm doesnt look like excellent condition to me.

Please! I would be so curious.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm pretty sure USDS had them a couple of weeks ago. They've got a fair section of the grip tapes. Call first I"d think.
    Talon does make a nice grip/tape system for the 92 series.

1. I Went to the Talon site and they had them for $18 but the Beretta cut-out was in the wrong place

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    It’s easy to make a “custom“ one out of the sheets.

Just take some heavier paper and make a template or whatever method works for you. Wet/dry sandpaper seems to work well. YMMV...

Have you shot it yet? If it is a good shooter, you’ll never see those “character“ marks when you’re holding it.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. I Went to the Talon site and they had them for $18 but the Beretta cut-out was in the wrong place

It’s easy to make a “custom“ one out of the sheets.

Just take some heavier paper and make a template or whatever method works for you. Wet/dry sandpaper seems to work well. YMMV...

Have you shot it yet? If it is a good shooter, you’ll never see those “character“ marks when you’re holding it.

Yep, you can buy grip tape at Walmart or any hardware store. I'd just cover the front grip strap area with it, possibly the rear as well.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I buy skateboard tape. Same basic stuff but less money. You can buy it by the sheet or square foot or sometimes if you go into a shop that sells skateboards they will have a cut off they will give you. I just cut all my pieces that I use with an Exacto knife.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Well, I took it to the range and put it through its paces against the Glock 26.
    In another thread, I put the exact results of my range report of the two.

As I suspected, now that I have the Glock 26 (I ordered the Beretta before I bought it), I am happy enough to use the Glock as a range toy instead of the Beretta which I loved with the wide grip, b/c the Glock has a nice wide grip and with the extensions I bought (along with 12 round mags) it will do fine as double duty as a CC and range 9mm.
    So: bye-bye Beretta.
    Don't need it with the Glock 26, like I didn't need the Beretta Nano when I bought the Glock 26 for a different set of reasons.
    Oh, the journey! :rockwoot:
    I'll put it up for sale when I get around to it unless the guy that said he'd buy it, still wants it.
    I have $330 in it, but Southern Ohio Guns are supposed to give me a $40 credit today, but it hasn't shown up on my card yet, when it does the price will then be $290.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    doddg;............ but Southern Ohio Guns are supposed to give me a $40 credit today said:
    1. I saw my $41.20 credit from Southern Ohio Guns on my credit card today (4.10.18), so they were no problem in honoring the refund for upgrade and handpicked meaning I only paid the basic price of $239, then of course shipping and FFL fees.
    2. I would buy from them again if there was something I needed, but I do prefer to buy locally, even if I have to pay a little more for the privilege, especially if it was a member here and not Armslist.

Top Bottom