• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I will say the Nano I had did not have any malfunctions at all.
    I just didn't care for it, plain and simple.
    I too bought it for a pocket carry. I know the .380 is not a "Mans" caliber, but I have a Sig P238 and a Glock 42 (recently purchased from another member) that I will pocket carry.
    Most likely the Glock 42 will be the one I carry most often.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Tyler the piker that I sold my Beretta tip-up barrel to told me that he had a friend with the Nano who has put thousands of rounds through his w/o issue.
    I am not even worried (yet) about it. And, I'm a certified worrier. :ugh:

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    One nice thing about the Nano is that the serial number is on the lower frame chassis which can be removed from the plastic grip frame. This means the grip frame can be easily changed to a different color with no FFL involved. I think they cost 30 or 40 bucks each.

Nano.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    One nice thing about the Nano is that the serial number is on the lower frame chassis which can be removed from the plastic grip frame. This means the grip frame can be easily changed to a different color with no FFL involved. I think they cost 30 or 40 bucks each.

Nano.jpg

1. Interesting on the colors. Strangely enough, I think I like the green better. If you're going to have a non-metal gun, it might as well have a color to it, as long as it is a manly "earth" tone, none of that pink or lavender that I've seen. :ugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    All the cool kids are getting a Sig P365...Looks like a few guys are getting them for $500.

Double (more or less) your price range and look at the Sig P938 (SA only)...all metal and I think they have SS models. Very similar to your long kept Colt Mustang but in 9mm. The 938 is my go to CCW when I am in and out of non-carry places during the day. Its perfect in dress pant pockets with a Sticky Holster.
    Picture credit to: https://www.texasguntalkcom/threads/pocket-nines-a-visual-comparison.51382/
    SxQYkWF.jpg

1. Your pic here inspired me to line up my semis to see how they "stacked up."
    2. I put my S/W M/P Bodyguard .380, Beretta Nano and Shield 9mm (didn't get out the Beretta .32).
    3. It was like: small, medium and large, but with only small differences.
    4. the difference between the Nano and shield were surprisingly little: about 1/2 inch longer and 1/2 inch less height, width about equal.
    5. Even though I love the Shield, if the Nano turns out to be acceptable despite the negatives some have experienced, instead of being just like all the other small 9mms that I tried, there would be no reason to keep the Shield for a carry: can't wait to find out.
    6. Then there is the Sig 365 someone just brought to my attention:
    p365-left.jpg

7. If it turned out to be "the holy grail" it would be a possible carry and replace the Nano and/or Shield.
    8. What I don't know that is out there is immense, but I'm not going to pay the going $500 it takes to get this gun even if is "the one."

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. Your pic here inspired me to line up my semis to see how they "stacked up."
    2. I put my S/W M/P Bodyguard .380, Beretta Nano and Shield 9mm (didn't get out the Beretta .32).
    3. It was like: small, medium and large, but with only small differences.
    4. the difference between the Nano and shield were surprisingly little: about 1/2 inch longer and 1/2 inch less height, width about the same.
    5. Even though I love the Shield, if the Nano turned out to be acceptable instead of being just like all the other small 9mms that I tried, there would be no reason to keep the Shield for a carry: can't wait to find out.
    6. Then there is the Sig 365 someone just brought to my attention:
    p365-left.jpg

7. If it turned out to be "the holy grail" it would be a possible carry and replace the Nano and/or Shield.
    8. What I don't know that is out there is immense, and I'm not going to pay the going $500 it takes to get this gun even if is "the one."

I'm not espousing the 365 because I have no first hand experience with it, but at some point, you need to realize there are trade offs of multiple sorts with a carry gun. Size, capacity, price, holster and mag availability, etc just to name a few. What has a lot of folks hyped about the 365 and considering it the new hotness is the size to capacity ratio for a middle of the road priced gun, with other good qualities (presumably but will wait to hear reports on reliability, durability, etc).

Carrying around that NAA 22 magnum you have talked about not being able to hit anything with really isn't viable for carry. That said, the Shield, the Nano, the snubbie revolver or others you have certainly can be, if you train with them and can hit what you need to, and also can carry it (i.e. not leave it at home) and prove reliability with chosen carry ammo. A good holster (whichever method you want to carry in) and extra mags, or speed loaders, etc and a good belt should round things out, along with of course being proficient with whatever you choose.

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    1. I wish I'd known that 10 hours ago. :wallbash:
    2. No, my research did not bring up consistent negatives: most were positive.
    3. There were a few who had issues as you described, but most spoke positively.
    4. Now I really can't wait to get to the range with it to see if I got one that works or not.
    I hope you're one of the lucky ones my friend. Other than the malfunctions I really loved my Nano.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I made a comparison photo. Springfield XDS, SCCY CPX-2, Keltec PF-9 and Beretta Nano. The trigger on the CPX-2 is horrible and it is double stack (10 rounds).

PP-_Compare.jpg

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Avoid 115-grain cheap ball ammo when breaking in a Nano... Use 124-grain 9mm NATO instead. Or at least be ready to switch to the latter if you have stoppages during break-in.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Avoid 115-grain cheap ball ammo when breaking in a Nano... Use 124-grain 9mm NATO instead. Or at least be ready to switch to the latter if you have stoppages during break-in.

1. Crap: that's all I have! :ugh: Perhaps I'll break down and buy a box at the range, so as not to get a bad attitude prematurely.
    2. I'm going tomorrow am before the wife gets up and I have to put kitchen door handles on. :dunno:
    3. Ah, domestic life: it does interfere with one's hobbies. :laugh:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My husband picked up a Nano a couple of years ago from the used pistols at the gun shop we frequent. He loves it. He has had zero issues with it and has found it to be comfortable and accurate.

I love the XDS I got at Christmas. He nearly took it from me after shooting it and putting two bullets in the same hole with his first two shots, but I got it back and haven't let him shoot it since! LOL

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I like my Nano. Not one malfunction with maybe 700 rounds through it mostly 125g reloads. The one thing I don't like is you can really feel the extended mags moving when you are shooting. OP I have read several of your threads and don't really understand what you are trying to accomplish other than obsess about what you are paying for things.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I hope you're one of the lucky ones my friend. Other than the malfunctions I really loved my Nano.

1. I'll find out this am at 8 am, but up since 5:15 waiting for them to open up (before my vacation "work day" begins with the wife) so I can go find out if I have the good, the bad or the ugly (ugly OK at my age :lmfao:
    2. "Other than the malfunctions I really loved my Nano" = oxymoron for me. :dunno:

I made a comparison photo. Springfield XDS, SCCY CPX-2, Keltec PF-9 and Beretta Nano. The trigger on the CPX-2 is horrible and it is double stack (10 rounds).

PP-_Compare.jpg

3. The SCCY is not on my radar (like Keltec). I thought it was a 3rd tier gun to be avoided (although I have noticed the price and kept away b/c of own experience with "bargain brands), perhaps even lower than the Taurus semi-automatics (had personal bad experience with 709 Slim and an inox PT22).
    4. The guns shown all look the same to me in dimensions, so it would be:
    price,
    reliability and resaleability for me.

My husband picked up a Nano a couple of years ago from the used pistols at the gun shop we frequent. He loves it. He has had zero issues with it and has found it to be comfortable and accurate.
    I love the XDS I got at Christmas. He nearly took it from me after shooting it and putting two bullets in the same hole with his first two shots, but I got it back and haven't let him shoot it since! LOL

5. Reassuring.

I like my Nano. Not one malfunction with maybe 700 rounds through it mostly 125g reloads. The one thing I don't like is you can really feel the extended mags moving when you are shooting. OP I have read several of your threads and don't really understand what you are trying to accomplish other than obsess about what you are paying for things.

6. Accomplish: Having fun experiencing different guns for different purposes:
    range and CC, not collecting.

7. I do "obsess" about price:
    getting the best value for something gives me joy, paying more than necessary makes me feel like I didn't do my job researching.
    8. I have paid "too much" for something I really wanted for whatever reason
    :
    usually I anticipate it to be a long-term acquisition, so price not as relevant (Ruger GP100 22LR: $600 (new), for example. (could not find it used, or the Smith 617 22LR).
    9. Items that are not long-term b/c I don't know how it will turn out (keeper or not), I will look for value:
    that doesn't mean the cheapest, but the "storyline."
    For example:
    I paid $350 for a $250 GSG 1911-22 b/c of $500+ in upgrades (never fired, from ZR Tactical): value (to me).
    I
    wiil keep it long-term and resale not a major issue.
    11. I did buy a $180 Taurus Slim 709 just b/c of price:
    lesson learned.
    12. I have learned to be careful about buying used guns w/o warranty.
    The Beretta Nano with only a 1 yr. warranty and only from the purchaser does concern me (hopefully if I'm wrong in my understanding, someone will correct me).
    13. Again: my purpose is mostly fun.
    When I bought my 1st CC (Charter Arms SS
    snubbie), which I
    no longer own),
    and my 1st 22LR range toy (Smith Victory, I think, no longer owned)
    that was all I "needed."
    Everything else has been the fun of "the hunt." Upgrading, and trying out other "flavors" of the same thing.
    14. Like, when I got my Walther PPS with the 6, 7 and 8 round mags for $300, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven (name/brand/ price, functionality/reliability, and magazine sizes),
    but it hurt my middle finger when shot.
    Now I have the kinder, gentler and also reliable Shield 9mm ($280)
    :laugh:

Last edited:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A

Very good point, when I took mine out I ran 124gr. ball through it.
    I have very few boxes of 115gr 9MM left, when I buy now it is all 124gr. or 147gr. in 9MM.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Very good point, when I took mine out I ran 124gr. ball through it.
    I have very few boxes of 115gr 9MM left, when I buy now it is all 124gr. or 147gr. in 9MM.

1. At Point Blank in Greenwood where I went this am to shoot, all the grains you mentioned were all the same price: $12.34/box/50: 24 cents each.
    2. I have 1000s of 9mm, but not in the 147 grain, so I bought and ran it through: I'll put it into my "Range Report"

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    6. Then there is the Sig 365 someone just brought to my attention.
    8. What I don't know that is out there is immense, but I'm not going to pay the going $500 it takes to get this gun even if is "the one."

Proving without a doubt that some people know the price of everything, but the value of nothing.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I enjoyed my LC9 that I had for a few months till I up traded for a S&W 3913 single stack compact 9. I did buy the new non adjustable sight EC9S for 225 shipped to my dealer which was also doing a promotion of free transfers for December. If I don't carry my glock 19 or 3913 its the EC9s that goes with me especially when you're around people who hate guns.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Proving without a doubt that some people know the price of everything, but the value of nothing.

1. That's why I've been driving Corollas for 30 yrs., when I could be driving the Lexus: I know the price and think I think the value, but I settle for less luxury, less bells and whistles and less respect from all who don't drive the lowly Corolla. :dunno:
    2. How do I ever live with myself? :ugh:
    3. How do I live myself owning the Smith and Wesson guns I have instead of the more expensive better guns with the occasional Ruger and Beretta in the mix? :laugh:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    1. That's why I've been driving Corollas for 30 yrs., when I could be driving the Lexus: I know the price and think I think the value, but I settle for less luxury, less bells and whistles and less respect from all who don't drive the lowly Corolla. :dunno:
    2. How do I ever live with myself? :ugh:
    3. How do I live myself owning the Smith and Wesson guns I have instead of the more expensive better guns with the occasional Ruger and Beretta in the mix? :laugh:

1. A Sig P365, a pistol that holds 10+1 and is the same size or smaller than pistols that hold 7 or 8 rounds at most, and comes from the factory with standard night sights, is not worth $500 as a tool to be carried every day for defense of yourself and loved ones. :dunno:

2. But $600 for a Ruger GP100 in .22lr makes perfect sense. :n00b: :rolleyes: :nuts:

:): :laugh: :chuck:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    1. A Sig P365, a pistol that holds 10+1 and is the same size or smaller than pistols that hold 7 or 8 rounds at most, and comes from the factory with standard night sights, is not worth $500 as a tool to be carried every day for defense of yourself and loved ones. :dunno:

2. But $600 for a Ruger GP100 in .22lr makes perfect sense. :n00b: :rolleyes: :nuts:

:): :laugh: :chuck:
    Or I could get 2 Ruger EC9s's for roughly the same price and have 16 total

Top Bottom