• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You got a steal at $175. I bought mine a few years back at around $395 new. Kids liked it. Good start out gun for new shooters to get used to semi-auto and then still good plinking fun later. My only complaint is the sights are kind of crappy. Not as much adjustability as I would like. Rear sight tends to move a lot even with Loc-tite. Can be picky on ammo also but so does most .22 semi-autos. I never put a red dot on mine but seeing the other posts on here that might be a good idea.

1. Someone has another used one for sale for $300.
    2. I can get them new for under that.
    3. I wouldn't buy it if it wasn't for the price: too much acquisition lately (and I'm supposed to be trimming :dunno:).
    4. I won't be spending $100 ish for a red dot on a $175 gun, but if it would fit on my S/W M/P Compact 22, I might go down that road if I could figure out what to buy (I'll not spend $200 for a good one).
    5. I don't care about "accuracy" on anything but a 22, although, having the right scope on my Henry Rifle would be cool, since I can't even see the sights at the end of the barrel, and forget about the target 50 yrds. down the pike. :laugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range time with the Beretta Neos: loved it.
    It is different enough, and a little unique: the look of it, magazine release is with index finger on the right side instead of on the left side, the angle of handle more pronounced.
    It is heavy enough; I like the finish on it, the only thing better would be if it was a SS. :dunno:
    Accurate: I was pleased, very pleased.
    I took it up to 40 feet (quite a bit for me), groups were great (for me) and it didn't seem to pull any particular way.
    I couldn't compare it to my beloved S/W M/P Compact 22 b/c I forgot to take it to the range since I was mainly there to test the Neos and the Taurus PT22 tip-up stainless that I bought literally 10 minutes after buying the Neos (another thread).
    If I would have paid $300 I would not be so excited about it probably, but I'm that cheap that a $175 pistol that is fun, unique and has something different to offer me is my idea of a good time.
    I used Remington HV copper-plated 1250 fps ammo: absolutely no issues.
    I wanted to put in some standard-velocity CCI that I had but it was not copper covered so I didn't want to dirty my new toy up.

dmazzio, who I bought it off of here on this site was a great guy and I enjoyed talking to him about his wife's gun picks and especially his daughter, who he started out young and she has had pink and blue barrels on different guns (you got to love our daughters! :laugh: ).

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Range time with the Beretta Neos: loved it.
    It is different enough, and a little unique: the look of it, magazine release is with index finger on the right side instead of on the left side, the angle of handle more pronounced.
    It is heavy enough; I like the finish on it, the only thing better would be if it was a SS. :dunno:
    Accurate: I was pleased, very pleased.
    I took it up to 40 feet (quite a bit for me), groups were great (for me) and it didn't seem to pull any particular way.
    I couldn't compare it to my beloved S/W M/P Compact 22 b/c I forgot to take it to the range since I was mainly there to test the Neos and the Taurus PT22 tip-up stainless that I bought literally 10 minutes after buying the Neos (another thread).
    If I would have paid $300 I would not be so excited about it probably, but I'm that cheap that a $175 pistol that is fun, unique and has something different to offer me is my idea of a good time.
    I used Remington HV copper-plated 1250 fps ammo: absolutely no issues.
    I wanted to put in some standard-velocity CCI that I had but it was not copper covered so I didn't want to dirty my new toy up.

dmazzio, who I bought it off of here on this site was a great guy and I enjoyed talking to him about his wife's gun picks and especially his daughter, who he started out young and she has had pink and blue barrels on different guns (you got to love our daughters! :laugh: ).

Funniest thing is when I saw that go up in the classified, I somehow figured (without knowing much of anything about these) that you would end up with it. It was less than $200, was a 22 and was just funky enough that i figured you would be interested.

Glad you are enjoying the new acquisition.

Keep the reviews coming.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Funniest thing is when I saw that go up in the classified, I somehow figured (without knowing much of anything about these) that you would end up with it. It was less than $200, was a 22 and was just funky enough that i figured you would be interested.

Glad you are enjoying the new acquisition.

Keep the reviews coming.

1. That is so funny! You got me!
    2. I really wasn't looking for any cheaper 22LR semi-autos after getting my Smith Compact.
    3. Revolvers: yes, and maybe the "perfect" 1911 22LR (whenever I figure what that is).
    4. There was a Walther 22 for $250 that I thought of buying, but I thought it wouldn't have anything up on my Compact.
    5. I shot the Ruger SR at the range and wasn't impressed and I figured the bulk of the small 22s would be about the same.
    6. I am pleased that the Beretta Neos is a different flavor. When I find something else that brings more joy, I'll pursue it, as you know by now.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    1. Someone has another used one for sale for $300.
    2. I can get them new for under that.
    3. I wouldn't buy it if it wasn't for the price: too much acquisition lately (and I'm supposed to be trimming :dunno:).
    4. I won't be spending $100 ish for a red dot on a $175 gun, but if it would fit on my S/W M/P Compact 22, I might go down that road if I could figure out what to buy (I'll not spend $200 for a good one).
    5. I don't care about "accuracy" on anything but a 22, although, having the right scope on my Henry Rifle would be cool, since I can't even see the sights at the end of the barrel, and forget about the target 50 yrds. down the pike. :laugh:

If you do decide to ever get a red dot I recommend the Bushnell TRS-25 for $39.99 on Amazon. I never used them on my Neos but I have them on some other guns of mine and I highly recommend that as a low cost accurate red dot. When I bought my Neos a few years ago they were relatively new on the market. My sons used the Neos sometimes for 4H Youth shooting competitions. When I say accuracy matters they were shooting dum dum suckers at 7 yards. One competition the rear sights would hold true, the next competition the rear sight would be getting loose and it doesn't take much to throw off accuracy shooting dum dums. I used Loc Tite several times and just seems to be a recurring problem. Overall, it's still been a good purchase. It's easy to clean also.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If you do decide to ever get a red dot I recommend the Bushnell TRS-25 for $39.99 on Amazon. I never used them on my Neos but I have them on some other guns of mine and I highly recommend that as a low cost accurate red dot. When I bought my Neos a few years ago they were relatively new on the market. My sons used the Neos sometimes for 4H Youth shooting competitions. When I say accuracy matters they were shooting dum dum suckers at 7 yards. One competition the rear sights would hold true, the next competition the rear sight would be getting loose and it doesn't take much to throw off accuracy shooting dum dums. I used Loc Tite several times and just seems to be a recurring problem. Overall, it's still been a good purchase. It's easy to clean also.

1. That does pique my interest since I know nothing about pistol red dots, and barely know anything about a scope on a rifle (think I had one on one of 22 rifles back in the late 80s.
    2. Heard about the rear sight issue.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range report on comparing my Smith Compact 22, Beretta Neos and gmcttr's Mark 3.
    Short version:
    In the "bullseye" at 10 yrds.

Mark 3: 8/9
    Beretta Neos: 8/9
    Smith Compact: 6/9

I ran out of time to do another round of testing, which I think my Smith would have improved: I was getting tired and lost concentration imo,
    but, I'll have other opportunities to do a more extensive comparison between my Shield and Beretta, I just won't have the luxury of gmcttr's Mark 3.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Fired the Beretta Neos again this evening: the more I shoot it the more I love it!
    This could be a keeper like the old H & R I bought off someone here 2-3 weeks ago.
    There are very few things I would not sell b/c they are unique and this Beretta Neos is one: Looks (odd but interesting, weight, length (6"), accuracy).
    If I would have bought this new ($290ish) I would not have been disappointed, but since I got it used for $175 just makes my day. :rockwoot:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    It is one of those firearms that grows on you the more you use it. That is one reason I bought a second to install in the Carbine kit.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Note that you can also buy a 2nd barrel of a different size (they have 4.5" and 6" barrels and are interchangeable on the gun). There is also a hard to find Carbine stock that you can insert the Neos into. Lots of options.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I'm always on the lookout for buying another 22LR especially in revolver and since I bought my S/W M/P Compact 22 I didn't think I'd be buying another semi-auto 22LR b/c I really only wanted a great 1911 22LR to replace the Sig Sauer 1911-22 that I traded for my Judge.
    I have recently bought three 22s: H & R 22LR revolver ($200 with 525 rounds, S/W 351 Airwieght snubbie 22 magnum revolver ($450), and a Taurus 971 22 magnum ($350 with 150 rounds) in the past 2 weeks, and I wasn't looking for any other 22s right now.

But, I have always been curious about the Beretta Neos, and I found one here in the classifieds for a good price ($175) so I had to buy it: supposed to pick it up Tuesday.

If there were any doubt before, you have officially caught the bug, my friend! The action/style seems very similar to a Buckmark, and those things are workhorses as long as you keep them semi-clean.
    Looking forward to more details/reports.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Note that you can also buy a 2nd barrel of a different size (they have 4.5" and 6" barrels and are interchangeable on the gun). There is also a hard to find Carbine stock that you can insert the Neos into. Lots of options.

1. I was thrilled to stumble on to the longer barrel!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If there were any doubt before, you have officially caught the bug, my friend! The action/style seems very similar to a Buckmark, and those things are workhorses as long as you keep them semi-clean.
    Looking forward to more details/reports.

1. Since I have want a Buckmark and a 1911 style 22LR Has wonder now with the Neos if I should just settle with having it and not pursue the others?

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    My suggestion is to enjoy what you have for a while and learn to shoot them as well as you can before buying more. No point in burning up all of the new gun happiness in 12 months. :)

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Just to muddle things up a bit, when the Neos first came out there was also a 7.5 inch barrel version! Wish I picked one up before Beretta stopped making them.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My suggestion is to enjoy what you have for a while and learn to shoot them as well as you can before buying more. No point in burning up all of the new gun happiness in 12 months. :)

1. It is a pleasure to recognize a moniker. I can't keep track of who says what except for about 3 people. :ugh: Especially when I have met them personally.
    2. This will not make sense to you, but I enjoy the hunt for acquisition more than the range time. :dunno:
    3. The thrill of being a good shot has eluded me at this point in my life, although when I used your Dan Wesson and one of my first shots with a fresh magazine it was dead-on. Of course, the next shot was 6" away: I should have taken a pic. :laugh:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I certainly understand enjoying the hunt. It's why I have way too many toys and a new one on the way.

I guess my advice was one of those 'do as I say and not as I do' sort of suggestions.:laugh:

Top Bottom