• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    With the approach of my 30th birthday, I guess I fell for the 30 year old boomer meme and bought a springfield 1911.

What would the most reliable 8 round magazine be?

This isn't going to be a primary carry/defensive gun, but I am going probably have it in my car a lot of the time as I cheaply handload .45 and will be shooting it pretty regularly and it may be called into use if i'm not comfortable out and about just carrying my J frame.

Also, what would a good oil be for a parkerized finish to keep it from rusting?

Should a pelican case with some desiccant be good to go?

KomboJoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2013
    Paragon
    They used to be cheaper, but I got Mec-gar 1911 magazines. They are great mags. A lot of companies outsource to them for magazines and just rebrand them.

Sdiersing

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 20, 2021
    Indianapolis
    It looks like I’ll just be an echo in this thread, but you really cannot go wrong with the Wilson mags. I have also had good results with the Chip Mccmorick mags. They were bought out by Wilson not long ago and are often a little cheaper.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

If you are going to store it in a Pelican get this as well, it prevents rust issues. The open cell foam holds moisture and can cause rust issues inside the case if not monitored. I have one in my Browning 725 case and it has worked very well.

Also only buy Wilson Combat magazines they are the undisputed best.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    If you’re ok with plastic followers and weakened witness sides Wilson has a good mag. I prefer heavier metal on body and follower as in Chip McCormick or Ed Brown. Just me.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    It looks like I’ll just be an echo in this thread, but you really cannot go wrong with the Wilson mags. I have also had good results with the Chip Mccmorick mags. They were bought out by Wilson not long ago and are often a little cheaper.
    This is true. May be a cost saving there.
    I have had good luck with Chip Mccormick as well

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Since the OP asked for Opinions I still stand by my post #11. I’ve seen too many other mags that don’t reliably lock the slide back or jettison a round through the open chamber when doing an mag change and the plastic followers grow crud and deteriorate over time. Not to mention the flex in the mag body. Trying hard to not upset the sensitive snowflakes that defend their choice as I am sure mag longevity/ dependability is directly related to round count and long running experience.

Also, I use BreakFree CLP on all finishes.

By all means use what you think is best.

Good luck to all.

See you on the range

IMG_0493.jpeg

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Since the OP asked for Opinions I still stand by my post #11. I’ve seen too many other mags that don’t reliably lock the slide back or jettison a round through the open chamber when doing an mag change and the plastic followers grow crud and deteriorate over time. Not to mention the flex in the mag body. Trying hard to not upset the sensitive snowflakes that defend their choice as I am sure mag longevity/ dependability is directly related to round count and long running experience.

Also, I use BreakFree CLP on all finishes.

By all means use what you think is best.

Good luck to all.

See you on the range

View attachment 308249
    For those that would like to trade into Ed Brown mags:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Had good luck with Wilsons but the plastic followers are well documented to have a finite service life. Probably would have gone CMC in retrospect.

My grab bag of Shooting Stars, Kimbers, Rugers, Act-Mags, and no-names run varying degrees of okay but frequently don't lock back.

ShrikeInc

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2023
    South
    I use only WC ones. Have few which are probably 10y old (second hand) and thousands rounds through - still going strong, no problems with the spring, follower or bottom plate (dropped on rocks/concrete even when full). Those things are almost immortal and reasonably priced.

Top Bottom