Crown Point

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I shot a lot of 45 ACP in the '80s & '90s, most of that through Colt and Kimber hardware. I had 6 or 7 Chip McCormick Shooting Star (CMSS) 8-round magazines; they served me well for 300-500 rounds a month for several years. The best testimony I can offer is: About 3 years ago I cleaned out my safe. I found 2 8-round CMSS buried in the back of the safe when we moved. Both had been fully loaded, laying the back of that safe for about 20 years. A trip to the range, with a well-worn RIA 1911, those magazines, and several boxes of also-20+ year old reloads yielded this: Those 20-30 year old magazines, that had been topped off for about 20 years, still worked just fine. So did the old RIA, and a couple hundred rounds of LSWC reloads. I can't comment about other magazines... never used any others.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    For my 45acp Ronin I have 8rd Wilson Combat, 8rd Metalform, and 8rd Mec-Gar which is what it came with.
    So for no problems with any of them.

My dad has Chip Mccormick mags for his, they work great also.

10mm I have whatever RIA sent with it, and the rest are 9rd Wilson Combat.
    I had a little problem with the original RIA magazine the first few loads, but after that it ran fine. I noticed that it wore a little off the feed lips, so I'm thinking the magazine was a little out of spec. The Wilson Combat magazines have ran well.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke

Is there any practical difference between the wilson 47d and ETM?
    The WC ETM's are designed around 8rds, they are a little longer than 47D's.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    In 1911 mags. I have Metalform, Wilson, and Tripp for 9mm, 45acp, and 10mm. Best i can remember, all my Dan Wesson's came with metalforms. Have not had an issue with any brand i have.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    I run nothing but GI issued mags in mine. I scored a deal several years back on a box of 20, still in the colt GI paper wrapping in a wooden box of straw for 100 bucks.

That said, aftermarket wise, I like the Chip mags. They’re really smooth operating

CCPLuvr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Elkhart
    Mags for my competition 45 are Metalform with feed lips adjusted by my gunsmith. 38 Super compact mags for the carry gun also come from him. My general use 45 uses Chip McCormick mags.

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My DW Valor came with 8 rd Checkmate mags marked “DW Made in USA”.
    Ed Brown and Sig are also from Checkmate.
    I’ve got them from all three. All are 100% identical including the follower’s with the same patent numbers with the only exception being the body markings.
    The Sigs have no markings at all but the patent # on the follower.
    Welds, base plates, springs and follower’s 100% identical.
    All have ran flawlessly.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I really like Wilson Combat 47D mags for my 1911. I did have some Chip McCormick shooting stars and one of their Power Mags but I prefer the followers in the Wilsons and sold the Chips.

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    McChip with the Shooting Star followers are all I own (in 8rd) aside from factory mags. Wilson’s are universally regarded as the best, but I’ve never tried them. Not for that price (and the ugly slot windows in the tube).

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I have 1 Mec-gar that came with my Springer Ronin. I’ve since bought Ed Brown and Wilson mags and they perform flawlessly.

Top Bottom