• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What!?!How could the great church mouse get this one sooooo wrong. Congratulations
    You, Are in error, Sir.

I would say cheap buying should never be far from the discerning gun buyers mind. After all, when it comes to making waves in the gun world, economic market forces are second only to tragedy induced panic. And some would say the two are one in the same. (But that's for another thread.)

I would argue that "Cheap building practices"
    are what the gun buyers should focus on.
    Everyone has been making suggestions based on buying the best gun for the money. With an emphasis on the build quality regardless of the original MSRP.

To the OP, if you want a cheap 1911, by all means please buy one, but if you want the most bang for your buck I would say your thread title needs changed.

Let's say
    "What used 1911 should I buy if I only get $600 bucks to spend

In error…….Me...……..maybe. But in the understanding of my comment. Not in its purpose.
    The word "Cheap" makes my hair curl up. Looking for the best deal is absolutely acceptable in my eyes. Shop/research/find/purchase. The absolute best for the least one can pay is not "Cheap" it is smart.

Being cheap s looking for and gathering up the "Cheapest" pile of parts one can find. Possibly your cheap build remark fits in here. Tripping over $5 bills to pick up quarters as it were.

In all of this it is, in the end, you money so put it where it will do you the most good or serve your needs/desires. No knocks from me. Maybe a giggle or 2 when I see someone stepping in the same Poo pile I have had to clean off my shoes.....:):

Heres is a thought. Open up and inspect enough of those bargain basement 1911's and your eyes will clear up a bit. Again, until you actually see it the clarity is not there. We tend to over look things when price is an issue.

88 covered this as did gm.

My opinion here is based solely on my personal experiences with those offerings. Some folks have thousands of rounds trough RIA's with little to no issues.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    rhino remains skeptical of the intent of this topic, but rhino will be a good citizen.

The best 1911 for under $600 is one of the brands under the Armscor umbrella, such as Rock Island Armory. I have no direct experience with Ruger, so I can't comment on them. I would not pay money for a Taurus 1911 (assuming they are under $600). I am aware of no others to consider with that price limit when new.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Is a Ruger SR1911 considered cheap and unreliable?

Its all in context man... Is the Ruger cheap and unreliable compared to what? Another $600 1911? No, I've personally already mentioned I think its a decent buy for that level of production gun it is. Is it considered cheap and unreliable vs other stuff like a $10K Chuck Rogers gun... 1000%.

Unreliable also needs to be put into context... unreliable in the sense that you can go to a range and shoot 200 rounds of 230 ball, and probably have zero issue 100%. Unreliable meaning you are running some 230 HST jacketed hollow points through a 2 day training class where you are running the hell out of the platform and burning through 1500-2000 rounds? Well thats a whole different story.

The SR is fine for what it is...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Years ago I remember people selling Essex frames with milsurp slides, unknown parts in between for low money. Never shot one, but I don't remember anybody complaining.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Years ago I remember people selling Essex frames with milsurp slides, unknown parts in between for low money. Never shot one, but I don't remember anybody complaining.

A good friend has been putting his box-O-parts together for a long time and on a seriously limited budget. H handed me the Box-O-Parts asking for my assistance. I fit all the bits and pieces together for him not knowing what or where any of those parts came from except the frame. It was an Essex. Apparently his dad had it and the slide with some odds and ends. Man it was rough. A lot of hand work involved and some time on the mill but he was and still is a good friend.

To my knowledge that gun has ran well for him. If not I would have known....:):

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Its all in context man... Is the Ruger cheap and unreliable compared to what? Another $600 1911? No, I've personally already mentioned I think its a decent buy for that level of production gun it is. Is it considered cheap and unreliable vs other stuff like a $10K Chuck Rogers gun... 1000%.

Unreliable also needs to be put into context... unreliable in the sense that you can go to a range and shoot 200 rounds of 230 ball, and probably have zero issue 100%. Unreliable meaning you are running some 230 HST jacketed hollow points through a 2 day training class where you are running the hell out of the platform and burning through 1500-2000 rounds? Well thats a whole different story.

The SR is fine for what it is...

Pretty much sums up why you should buy a modern polymer pistol. FN, Glock just a few that will run out of the box without the worries of getting a lemon 1911.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Pretty much sums up why you should buy a modern polymer pistol. FN, Glock just a few that will run out of the box without the worries of getting a lemon 1911.

I have asked once that this be avoided. This is a 1911 thread. We do not come into the G**** threads and do this. Please refrain from doing it here. If we wanted a piece of Tupperware we would buy one. A good 1911 will run right out of the box as will many of these entry level guns.

Stow the Tupperware comments please.

And there are lemons out of the box with Tupperware in them as well.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My father has a Llama 1911 45acp he got about 20 years ago. Has over 1,000 rounds through it. I think he got it new for $200. It even runs with hollow points. Its accurate as well. So I guess he got lucky.

I've seen 3 RIA from different friends not run at all. All got sent back one was fixed the other 2 went to a gunsmith to get them running.

INgunowner

ARC Solutions
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Henry County
    Man it was rough. A lot of hand work involved and some time on the mill

This is the point I am trying to make.
    The factor that separates a $$$ 1911 from a $$$$ 1911 has less to do with the basic materials (admittedly there is a difference) and much more to do with the assembly and more importantly the QC of the manufacturer.

I'm not suggesting that you have to buy a Glock (insert flavor here) if you only have $600 to spend.
    Rather that you would be better served buying a second hand gun that faced more scrutiny from the manufacturer.

I played the "cheap" 1911 game and won, but know others who lost to varying degrees.
    I suggest you always play the "value" game.
    Your odds of winning are much higher.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    You might run on to a Norinco at a gun show in that price range. Some people have had good luck with them.

Top Bottom