• ...and so much more!
  • Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I'll throw this in. My Dan Wesson can't put 2 shots in the same place. My S&W can drive a nail in. So in this case the cheaper gun wins.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I have been very happy with my Ruger so far. I definitely wouldn't say it has taken a beating but it has over a thousand problem free rounds through it.
    Agree with this. I have a couple SR1911 pistols, a commander and an officer's model. Not as fit-up or accurate as my DW examples, but so far every bit as reliable. Gently used SR1911s can be had in the $600 range. My experience with Springfield is much more limited, but I was underwhelmed at what I got in a Springer Elite Series vs. the SR1911.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    this is interesting... normally I’d say buy a TM, but this looks incorrect. At first Inthought it was simply a beaver tail swap, the the frame is incorrect as well as TM should have 20 LPI checkering and Ambi safety. No mention of swapping stuff from what I se in the description.

That's an old gun evidenced by the thick/wide dust cover that they used to do. The TM did have 20 lpi fronstrap and serrated top as well, maybe that was some kind of early pre-cursor?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's an old gun evidenced by the thick/wide dust cover that they used to do. The TM did have 20 lpi fronstrap and serrated top as well, maybe that was some kind of early pre-cursor?

That is definitely an older offering. Both my TM's were stainless with the 20 LPI front strap.

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    I've had experience with some RIA's that weren't bad. Decent little guns can be had around the $400 mark.

Question is, how much shooting would you plan on doing with it?

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    Love, love, love my 1911s.

I don’t have any current interest in a low end 1911. But, I am interested in knowing which low-end 1911s run decently. Never know, I might pick one up on a whim someday.

Either way, I find this thread very interesting. So, it sounds like Ruger is pretty decent & RIA is getting better all the time. Still need to stay away from Taurus for the 1911. :popcorn:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Love, love, love my 1911s.

I don’t have any current interest in a low end 1911. But, I am interested in knowing which low-end 1911s run decently. Never know, I might pick one up on a whim someday.

Either way, I find this thread very interesting. So, it sounds like Ruger is pretty decent & RIA is getting better all the time. Still need to stay away from Taurus for the 1911. :popcorn:

Care to elaborate?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    There one of those Essex/army 1911s for sale on GB for $240 with less than a day to go.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I did one for member RustyHornet. That thing was a tank. Metal as hard as Chinese arithmetic.
    My oldest son has that gun now and he loves it.

I remember the old stories about the early Argie 1911s being made of scrap from the Graf Spee. Interarms always had a good sales pitch.

Top Bottom