• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Base522

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Considering the p3at or lcp so far. Which of these two would you go with for a pocket gun? Any others that i should consider?

Thanks for any input in advance.

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    Ive had no malfunctions with the P3AT shooting hardball, Corbon and Critical Defense ammo. No experience with any of the others. I am looking at the S&W 380 Bodyguard and the Kahr P380 but both of those would be above your price limit.

truegrit

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Highland,IN
    I sold my kel Tech to buy my LCP. I never really cared for the Kel Tech fit and finish. It always felt like it was rattling around in my hand. After a couple jams I sold it. I've never had a problem with the LCP.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If it were me, I'd look for a used Kahr P380 first...

And then an LCP...

Then KelTec.

The S&W Bodyguards have been plagued with problems; and I've recently read (another thread here on INGO...can't re-find it!) that they're already making a 2nd Gen with slightly different frame; supposedly better)

Notice that I didn't say anything about the Diamondback... I've read way too many "problem threads" about them on various message boards.

-J-

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I shot my son's LCP a few times. It did not work well. Problem may have been the Tul-ammo he was shooting, though. He replaced it with the Taurus TCP, which we broke in yesterday. I will let him do the range report, but it seems that after some initial break-in challenges (FTF, FTE) the TCP is smoothing out to be a useful weapon.

At this point, I would skip the entire .380 line and go with the Taurus 709 Slim or G26 in a High Noon tuckable holster. Concealment is just as good as the TCP or LCP, just won't fit in a pocket, with far better performance and cheaper ammo. (I was surprised to discover that .380 is more expensive in the Fort than 9mm!) :twocents::ingo:

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I bought a Walther PK380 a month ago. I put about 500 rounds through it and have had no FTF's. Its a small easy to conceal weapon, and very, very light. Even the wife liked shooting it. It cost me about $340

Last edited:

navarre1095

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Meth Vernon
    I often carry an LCP. I love it. My buddy has the TCP. Hr really wants to trade it for an LC9. The fit and finish on the LCP is better than the TCP or the Kel-Tecs I've handled.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I bought a Walther PK380 a month ago. I put about 500 rounds through it and have had no FTF's. Its a small easy to conceal weapon, and very, very light. Even the wife liked shooting it. It cost me about $340

That's one .380 that just melts into a smaller hand. I've held it, but never shot one. How does it compare to the smaller "pocket" .380s that kick like a mule?

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Your probably gonna laugh but the best 380 I've ever shot was a Bernardelli. The worst one was a Bersa as far as pocket guns go. Second best was a CZ 83.

slmlrd

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I bought some .45 TulAmmo at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago. I haven't used it before and thought it was the cheapest practice rounds they had. Out of a box of 50 I had 7 miss fires. Dented primers. I am shooting a Glock 36 that I have put a about 200 rounds through and never had a problem until this box of ammo.

RobbLG

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    I bought some .45 TulAmmo at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago. I haven't used it before and thought it was the cheapest practice rounds they had. Out of a box of 50 I had 7 miss fires. Dented primers. I am shooting a Glock 36 that I have put a about 200 rounds through and never had a problem until this box of ammo.

What exactly did that have to do with the price of tea in China? or this thread for that matter? To get this back on topic... I don't know if you qualify but if you meet any of the "first responder" categories you can order the bodyguard 380 here under $300 which is a smoking deal imho....

JD31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    What exactly did that have to do with the price of tea in China? or this thread for that matter? To get this back on topic... I don't know if you qualify but if you meet any of the "first responder" categories you can order the bodyguard 380 here under $300 which is a smoking deal imho....

See post #7 in this thread.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    My Bersa Thunder 380 has been a great pistol. Very reliable and accurate, great
    price also. Having said that, don't buy any 380. Ammo is way to expensive.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My Bersa Thunder 380 has been a great pistol. Very reliable and accurate, great
    price also. Having said that, don't buy any 380. Ammo is way to expensive.

+1 on the Bersa Thunder 380. I've got one in nickel and absolutely love it.

Actually, MidwayUSA's price on Magtech 95 grain FMJ is usually reasonable.

Top Bottom