• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Of the guns you listed, I only have experience with the XD line and the LCP. No question in my mind about the reliability of either one.

The XD line of pistols, to my knowledge, does not come in .380, but I would highly recommend the XDS in 9mm or .45. I found it to be very concealable when necessary, ergonomic to my hands (which are rather large) and only marginally larger than some of the .380s you listed (though size is a matter of perspective as well). Recoil is also quite tame. My somewhat inexperienced 13 year old son is able to fire my XDS45 comfortably.

the LCP I found to have ergonomics that remind me of a paint stirrer. very small, flat, and not designed to be held for very long. As far as concealable, you can't do much better, but ergonomics is a deal breaker for me.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I have also needed true discreet carry, settled on a LCP in a pocket and it works great. I liked the kahr cw380 a lot but I had an issue with dropping the mag while shooting. I also have an LCR and it is much larger

BFR50-110

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Personally I really like the Ruger LCP 2. It has a good trigger, is light, and it's been reliable for me. I had the LCP 1 and personally I feel like the LCP 2 is much nicer, not that the LCP 1 was bad, just that the LCP 2 is that much better. As far as .380 defense ammo goes there is a very helpful YouTube video series titled .380 ammo quest wherein almost every known .380 defense load is tested in ballistic gelatin with and without denim. Based on that series and other research I carry the Hornady XTP in their American gunner line. I would also carry Speer Gold Dot in .380. I hope this helps, good luck!

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Of the guns you listed, I only have experience with the XD line and the LCP. No question in my mind about the reliability of either one.

The XD line of pistols, to my knowledge, does not come in .380, but I would highly recommend the XDS in 9mm or .45. I found it to be very concealable when necessary, ergonomic to my hands (which are rather large) and only marginally larger than some of the .380s you listed (though size is a matter of perspective as well). Recoil is also quite tame. My somewhat inexperienced 13 year old son is able to fire my XDS45 comfortably.

the LCP I found to have ergonomics that remind me of a paint stirrer. very small, flat, and not designed to be held for very long. As far as concealable, you can't do much better, but ergonomics is a deal breaker for me.

You’d have to be wearing some serious pants to fit an XDS in a pocket.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    While I'm at it, what is the best .380 acp personal defense ammo to go along with it...CorBon, Double-Tap, federal HST, Hornady, Remington Golden Sabre, Winchester PDX-1...etc?

S&B ball is actually not a bad choice on the budget side. Like all relatively low velocity ball, it can skip off round bone depending on angles but it's got enough oomph to break a femur and it penetrates well. Hydra-shok works basically like a semi-wadcutter. It won't expand, but it doesn't glance off quite as easily. No expanding round available, to my knowledge, passes the entire FBI protocols. If you can only get penetration or expansion, err on the side of penetration.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Some great suggestions given...and all are greatly appreciated!

I've had 2 Bersa Thunder .380's...and loved 'em...very accurate...easy to shoot...fit in my small hands quite well...etc. Unfortunately, they're just a mite too large to hide completely in a pocket without showing something.

The Ruger LCP II does feel better in the grip than the LCP I...I think I want to be able to shoot one before I decide.

The SA .380's, both the Springfield and the Sig Sauer, are nice pistols, but I think I want to stay away from an SAO pistol, at least one that will mainly be carried in a pocket.

Good suggestions though...

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    S&W Bodyguard. I carry Cor Bon 90 gr. Admittedly, I have little experience with .380's. I carry mine as a BUG in a Galco pocket holster on my left side.

BBI, I agree about ball vs JHP for small calibers. I'm still on the fence about .380, but in anything smaller, I definitely go with ball. I am going to do research and testing and I may end up switching. Cor Bon is not a pleasant round out of a small frame gun anyway. And if ball will outperform it, the choice is easy.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Some great suggestions given...and all are greatly appreciated!

I've had 2 Bersa Thunder .380's...and loved 'em...very accurate...easy to shoot...fit in my small hands quite well...etc. Unfortunately, they're just a mite too large to hide completely in a pocket without showing something.

The Ruger LCP II does feel better in the grip than the LCP I...I think I want to be able to shoot one before I decide.

The SA .380's, both the Springfield and the Sig Sauer, are nice pistols, but I think I want to stay away from an SAO pistol, at least one that will mainly be carried in a pocket.

Good suggestions though...

I've got an LCP II you can try out anytime. PM

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    S&W Bodyguard. I carry Cor Bon 90 gr. ...if ball will outperform it, the choice is easy.

Cor-bon 90gr don't reliably expand, either, and is very similar to Hydra-Shok of the same weight. You basically get a semi-wadcutter. I won't say ball out performs it, just that it performs equally with the very slight exception that the HP rounds (or SWC rounds) are a bit more resistant to glancing off round bone. There's just not enough case capacity for .380 to really benefit from the current state of bullet technology. You can't make the bullet heavy enough, keep an OAL that will allow it to chamber, and still have room for enough powder to drive it to the speeds it needs, at least not within SAAMI specs.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Ended up gettin' a Glock 42 .380 acp...
    I'm familiar with the Glock platform...
    It fit in my grip comfortably...
    It disappeared in the pocket well...
    Can add tritium front sight...
    Keepin' it simple! :)

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008

Sounds like the logical choice for you! I think you will also be surprised at how well it shoots - right on par with a full size pistol. Mine also fits my hand quite well. Very enjoyable gun to shoot.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn

Sounds like the logical choice for you! I think you will also be surprised at how well it shoots - right on par with a full size pistol. Mine also fits my hand quite well. Very enjoyable gun to shoot.

I should add, I found one for under $400...when other places had them for $50 - $75 more...

Top Bottom