• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 85Cosmo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 18, 2016
    West Lafayette
    One to consider and rarely talked about is the Ruger LC380, same size as the LC9. I know some complain about the long trigger pull, but for personal protection, maybe not a bad thing. Accurate and comfortable to shoot. I believe the were only made a few years (2012-2015) but are still available new on line.

PLANEMECH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    Bersa is a solid gun. Never had issues with mine but really don't carry it much now that I have a Shield (about same size) or my Bodyguard 380. I was surprised being DAO that I find the Bodyguard 380 very accurate and the trigger pull is not bad at all. It is my EDC pretty much.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Once you get past the question of reliability, there are still too many questions for an off-site keyboard consultant to answer. There's a lot of variation in size between an LCP and a PPK (or snub .38) and it's not hard for a subcompact pistol to get too small for your hand. If it's so small that you can't properly grip it and control the trigger, what's the point? likewise, what kind of pocket do you intend to carry it in: "dockers" in an office; cargo pants; coat pocket; jeans? the shape and size of the pocket is just as relevant to concealing--and drawing--it as hand size or pistol size is.

FWIW, my Kahr CM9 is hyper reliable and I've printed 5 rnd, 1 hole groups with it at 20'. I imagine their .380 would be similar. Be advised, the CM .380 is a bit smaller than the CM9 and even though my hands are "medium-small", I have to push my finger PAST the first joint in order to press the trigger straight back.

I've found using a tuckable belt holster to be much more effective than pocket carry. I'd suggest you consider that, before a .380 in a pocket, because you can carry a larger gun AND IMO it's a faster draw--depending on the size of hand, pistol, and pocket, of course.

Last edited:

SarahG

Snow Shovel
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2017
    Morgan County
    If you can get a Glock 42 that works that would be a good all around 380 , small enough to conceal , real useable sights and easy to shoot accurately . I bought G42 off the classifieds here and the gun has not proven to be 100% reliable. If it were I would carry it quite often.
    Out of curiosity, what number is on the bottom of your magazines? Some of the earlier magazines, marked 01 or 02 on the bottom, had some issues that could be affecting reliability. If that's the case, maybe get a 03 marked magazine and see if it runs better for you. :) :twocents:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Out of curiosity, what number is on the bottom of your magazines? Some of the earlier magazines, marked 01 or 02 on the bottom, had some issues that could be affecting reliability. If that's the case, maybe get a 03 marked magazine and see if it runs better for you. :) :twocents:

Mine are early magazines with no number on the bottom. Just today a new magazine I ordered arrived and it is marked 03. I will try more of the ammo that was not reliable next range visit in my both mags . If the 03 magazine has no malfunctions and the old ones still do I will probably contact Glock and see what they say. I would like this G42 to be more than just a range fun gun.

SarahG

Snow Shovel
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2017
    Morgan County
    Mine are early magazines with no number on the bottom. Just today a new magazine I ordered arrived and it is marked 03. I will try more of the ammo that was not reliable next range visit in my both mags . If the 03 magazine has no malfunctions and the old ones still do I will probably contact Glock and see what they say. I would like this G42 to be more than just a range fun gun.
    Sounds like a good plan. From what I've heard Glock will replace older magazines if you send them in, so hopefully that's your only issue! The only ammo I've had any issues at all with in my 42 was Armscor. Everything else: cheap Walmart ammo, self defense ammo, etc. all runs like a champ.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I carry a G42 every day. I have polished the feed ramp, chamber, rails, trigger bar and connector. My G42 will choke occasionally if I let it get excessively dirty. With that in mind, I take it apart and clean it every 100 rounds or so and it does fine. I shoot it in GSSF and also shoot it quite a bit at the range so it does not take long to get dirty. I shoot primarily Fiocchi through it, which is is fairly dirty. I used to shoot Midwest through it, which was really dirty. I have a threaded barrel for it, and shoot it with my buddie's Octane suppressor occasionally. Does not take long and it is filthy with that.
    I have out over 2000 rounds through the gun and have tried various SD loads. Hornady Critical Defense, Hornady Custom, Hornady American Gunner, Remington Ultimate Defense, Magtech and Sig V crown. All have proven reliable. I carry the Hornady Critical Defense for SD.
    For the range I have shot Midwest, Fiocchi, Sig, Remington, Tula, Winchester, and PMC. Again, all have proven reliable.
    I carried a Ruger LCP for awhile which proved to be a reliable. I traded it for the G42.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I really enjoy the Glock 42 and Kahr CW380, but for pocket carry and being fully concealed and comfortable I personally prefer the lcp. I personally prefer back pocket holster carry and it prints just like a wallet if anything. To me the 42 and cw380 are much better shooters, better trigger, better sights, better grip...but the lcp just conceals better for me comfortably. Just my :twocents:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I really enjoy the Glock 42 and Kahr CW380, but for pocket carry and being fully concealed and comfortable I personally prefer the lcp. I personally prefer back pocket holster carry and it prints just like a wallet if anything. To me the 42 and cw380 are much better shooters, better trigger, better sights, better grip...but the lcp just conceals better for me comfortably. Just my :twocents:

In-the-grip, comfort, for me, it was down to between the Glock 42 and the Remington RM380...

I didn't like the 'straight-up' feel of the grip on the LCP, the Kel-Tec, or the Kahr... others do, but that's not a grip-angle I'm comfortable with.

Two other guns I looked at were the Smith-Wesson 638 (shrouded hammer) and the LCR in .327 magnum...but, with revolvers, you lose the 'flat' concept which goes along way in helping to carry concealed in a pocket!

If I had the option to OWB carry, I'd carry a .38 snubbie all day!

Good thing there's lots to choose from.... :)

AmateurE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2017
    NWI
    I really like my S&W Bodyguard 380, slim and compact, it disappears in a pocket. I've never had an issue with the DAO pull length (and I doubt it would be of concern in a SHTF moment), I used to carry a model 36 snubbie and the DAO pull is familiar. I did buy pinkie extensions for all my mags as I have XL hands, they really provide for a good purchase.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    I was walking through Cabelas one day and they were having a friends and family sale going on.

I saw a Taurus TCP738 on sale and I figured "What the neck?"

I got it for < $150. Mind you, I am no fan of .380 at all and I am not into Taurus guns.

The thing disappears in a pocket. It had feeding issues for about 250 rounds and its run like a well tuned sewing machine ever since(~800 rounds.)
    Aftermarket Mec Gar magazines work great with it.

I'm not a pocket carry type of guy but it makes for a great BUG.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

thewoods868

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2017
    Paoli
    I'm not, typically, a big .380 acp fan, and I can't believe I'm asking this question, but in your opinion, what is the better / best platform available for pocket carry for in a nylon or leather rear pocket wallet? I'll be wanting a stryker-fired or DAO style pistol...no SA pistols at this time.

I've had a few suggestions given to me, Glock 42, Springfield XD, Ruger LCP I and II, Kahr, Remington RM380, etc.

Based on everyone's experience, which is the best overall pistol, best trigger, most reliable, etc.?

While I'm at it, what is the best .380 acp personal defense ammo to go along with it...CorBon, Double-Tap, federal HST, Hornady, Remington Golden Sabre, Winchester PDX-1...etc?

Which would you recommend and why? Thank you!

My lcp2 or my non laser bodyguard are the 2 I carry most. As far as the best ammo it would have to be Underwood extreme defender 60 grain +p. It creates damage more than a hollow point but doesn’t rely on expansion to do it. Watch the Mac channel utube video and you’ll be convinced too.

robcor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Indiana
    RugerLCP II with Sig Sauer JHP ammo.
    Another option would be worth looking at is the .380 revolver from Taurus. 5 shot though

fnpfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Larwill
    I do not much care for .380, I own one.. a Browning BDA.380 and the only reason I own that is because it is an FNH:twocents:

Fallschirmjaeger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Noblesville
    I should add, I found one for under $400...when other places had them for $50 - $75 more...

I love my G42. Got it last year at Point Blank in Carmel, which had it in the used gun cabinet. It was like new with the Nickel Boron slide and 3 mags for $275(!). I about ripped my pocket getting my wallet out.

Mine has had zero function problems with everything from regular Remington and Magtech ball up through Winchester silver tips. It may not be the most concealable .380 out there, but it is a comfortable, accurate little gun.

Top Bottom