• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    The LCP is hands down the worst gun I've ever shot. I hated the recoil and didn't enjoy it for a second. Colt made some bigger government mustangs back in the late 80's ish that are nice to shoot. The XSP line they made was nice for a summer shorts carry gun. The Sig's were basically a copy of the Mustangs.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I went through the whole ordeal looking for a pocket 380, LCPII etc...
    I ended up with a Ruger EC9S barely bigger or heavier than most 380 and 7+1 9mm at my disposal.
    Just say'n

It's quite a bit bigger if you're talking about pocket carry. The appeal of the LCP is that it's tiny.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    The best .380 is a 9mm. Seriously, the recoil with some of these new designs isn't a factor for most people. Unless you have a medical problem, step up.

Agreed. The LCP Custom, which we had two, but now one, seems to be harder to fire than my P365 in 9mm, my 9mm shield and many others. Ive had dozens of 380s, all makes of LCP, Keltecs, etc. In the last ten years, many companies have put out 9mm that don’t have much more perceived recoil, or size, than 380. That being said, if it had to be 380, of the guns I’ve fired, I’d recommend the Glock 42.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Picked up a Glock 42 here on the classifieds with "all the fixes" , part of the "fixes" must not have included being reliable. Aside from that the 42 would be great all around 380 choice - accurate and a soft shooter.

Have an old school Intrerarms Walther PPK/S - a great shooter and totally reliable with everything I have tried in it thus far. Very heavy by todays standards but the 380 I first started out with.

Just picked up a used Ruger LCP II for $129.99 at Gander Outdoors in Ft. Wayne. Looked as new and it is by no means the harsh shooter (at least to me) that some say. Of course I have a Smith 642 Airweight and after firing that most handguns feel pretty mild in recoil.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Have an old school Intrerarms Walther PPK/S - a great shooter and totally reliable with everything I have tried in it thus far. Very heavy by todays standards but the 380 I first started out with.

A German made PPK is a great shooter & totally reliable, AND not as heavy or as large as a PPK/S

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    If you like the size and weight of the Bersa, look at the surplus Beretta 84fs and 85fs models. The 84fs is the double stack and is sold out most places. Classic Arms still has the single stack 85fs for under $400.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/beretta-85f-380-acp-7rd-pistol-good-condition/

Ditto on the Berettas, I have an 84fs. Nice.
    Have stainless Walther PPKS, it is a little heavy for easy carry.

Bought a Kimber 380. Like it much better. Small 1911 style, easy controls, fits in any pocket. Use it in the breast pockets on my motorcycle jackets.

Don

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have thought about buying a Colt Mustang. My gun pusher told me if I wanted a .380 get the Sig P238.

blues bondsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2019
    Michigan City
    I must say that I'm still thinking about the LCP Custom, even my EC9S gets a bit in the way all day at the zoo with grand kids.
    Way better than a double stack but...
    Just not sure about 380 in a crisis and especially if someone is returning fire.

RND

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Westfield
    SIG P232. Several used examples out there worth purchasing. Obtaining a few factory magazines for carry would be advisable and use the cheap PRO MAGS for practice.

Jim1117

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    I'm looking to replace my older Bersa 380. Sadly, the slide broke after close to 20 years. Anywho, I am looking at the Bersa Thunder Plus. Any other recommendations? Preferably, nothing that requires special tools to break down.
    I have had some regular Bersa Thunders and liked them. I now have a Ruger LCPII and love it....as a back up to my Glock 19. I have also had 2 of the Plus's and the thought of 15 rounds was very comforting, but the weight was not. So if you can, try to check out a loaded one before you purchase. Good luck!

380Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    I have had some regular Bersa Thunders and liked them. I now have a Ruger LCPII and love it....as a back up to my Glock 19. I have also had 2 of the Plus's and the thought of 15 rounds was very comforting, but the weight was not. So if you can, try to check out a loaded one before you purchase. Good luck!

The weight is not too much of a problem for me. I'm in a wheelchair, so the gun won't pull my pants down. The bulkiness is a bigger concern for me. According to the specs, the Bersa 15 is only .13 inches wider (I think) than the 7 ct.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I carried a Kel-Tec for years. Had it fluffed and buffed by the factory. Gave it a Cerakote job. It was a solid shooter, as long as I didn't limp wrist it. Now I've gone to a LCPII. Certainly nicer looking, but not a better shooter than the old Kel-Tec. But then, The Ruger didn't have to be F&B by the factory either.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I have thought about buying a Colt Mustang. My gun pusher told me if I wanted a .380 get the Sig P238.

+1 for the mustang. I picked one up a few months ago with the intention of giving it to my girlfriend and, well, I’ll either be buying another or she’ll have to pick out something else. It’s not my primary carry but it’s fun to shoot and a perfect pocket pistol for those times you’re just running down to the gas station or something of the sort.

Top Bottom