Normandy
    ceramic-mug-black.jpg

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Hands down the Wicked Edge. Everything about it is easy and it makes everyone able to sharpen knives well. With time and practice, you can sharpen knives really well. The only thing not so easy about it is paying the price to buy one.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I use a very simple set of 10" medium grit ceramic rods for dull knives. Nothing beats a quality sharpening steel for quick and frequent touch-ups. End the day with a few passes on strop of your choice and you're gtg.

I do like a nice set of Japanese wet stones when I'm really working a knife, but they are a bit more effort to get out:)

Last edited:

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Picked up a Work Sharp a couple weeks ago, and love it. Always struggled with free hand stone sharpening. The Work Sharp does a fantastic job with "tune-ups", but also great for re-profiling an edge. Also gives me the freedom to free-hand a bit.
    And it works great on my axes, shovels, and hopefully lawn mower blades soon.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Most of us can't afford a Wicked Edge.

Sharpmaker is affordable to most, and produces great results (as long as you have steadier hands than Michael J. Fox).

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    The most critical part about sharpening an edge is maintaining the correct or desired angle. Unless you have a lot of experience and that particular set of skills, free handing will lend itself to compromising the angle and producing uneven edges. For people without a lot of sharpening experience, I always recommend a sharpening system that allows you to set the correct angle and maintain that angle through out the sharpening process.:twocents:

I personally don't sharpen my own blades. INGO member "7.62" does all of my sharpening. He uses a Wicked Edge system and his prices and turn around time are great.:yesway:

Vince

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Ripley County
    Work sharp Ken Onion edition is on the list but for right now it's a Spyderco Sharpmaker. The Wicked Edge is great but damn it's pricey. I had one for a short time but couldn't justify the price so I sold it. It is one of the better sharpeners out there. Very fast.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I've got a Ken onion and it is doing a great service for me, last weekend we butchered 7 hogs and the edge lasted through 5 hogs and I touched it up and finished the rest with the sharpest knife in the shop, (that's not much of a standard),

I did check one knife after pealing 4 hog heads it would still cut my arm hair.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Great discussion. Researching some of the suggestions I ran into this video. I thought it was very interesting:

[video=youtube_share;zleVA9yxdm8]http://youtu.be/zleVA9yxdm8[/video]

Top Bottom