• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've got a Ken onion and it is doing a great service for me, last weekend we butchered 7 hogs and the edge lasted through 5 hogs and I touched it up and finished the rest with the sharpest knife in the shop, (that's not much of a standard),

I did check one knife after pealing 4 hog heads it would still cut my arm hair.

:spend:Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Thanks X10...:rolleyes:

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Well I know that opinions run deep on knife sharpening, AND EVERYONE thinks that they do it right and everyone else is wrong, (that's how I am) But I also have different standards for different needs.

If I have to make a perfect edge I would spend an hour with my stones and Razor's edge guides, But when your working with them you need sharp and you need reasonably fast.

out of 8 people who were there helping with hogs, only 2 people used a steel correctly, the rest flopped it around in the air and didn't do much more than make themselves feel better.

1 guy didn't like picking up my knife because it cut through too fast and he kept cutting through the skin when we were skinning and he wouldn't even use my knife to Gut,

lol

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The last time I went squirrel hunting, we cleaned and skinned all of them together at one time. The other two guys wanted to use my knives.

Well I know that opinions run deep on knife sharpening, AND EVERYONE thinks that they do it right and everyone else is wrong, (that's how I am) But I also have different standards for different needs.

If I have to make a perfect edge I would spend an hour with my stones and Razor's edge guides, But when your working with them you need sharp and you need reasonably fast.

out of 8 people who were there helping with hogs, only 2 people used a steel correctly, the rest flopped it around in the air and didn't do much more than make themselves feel better.

1 guy didn't like picking up my knife because it cut through too fast and he kept cutting through the skin when we were skinning and he wouldn't even use my knife to Gut,

lol

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If you don't have one, you're going to need a strop and some polishing compound. Once you create convex edges on all of your knives, that will be the best way to finish and maintain them.

Daggy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2014
    South Bend
    I use DMT Aligner kit. It's not outrageously expensive, yet it has more grades of whetstone than Lansky. The original set only comes with extra coarse, coarse, fine, and extra fine stones. I added an extra extra coarse stone that can quickly reprofile knives of softer steel, and an extra extra fine stone that gives hair-catching semi-polished edge.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If you don't have one, you're going to need a strop and some polishing compound. Once you create convex edges on all of your knives, that will be the best way to finish and maintain them.

I have and use leather belts hanging in the house and shop. Would I gain anything by going with a wider razor strop?

Top Bottom