• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I love my yugo sks, but its got the detachable 30rd steel mag, dont really like the mag though if you load it all the way up it will not chamber the first round. So i may an try an get a 20rd for it an see how it does. But all in all I would love to have another one, but any more from what Ive seen for not much more money you can get an Ak.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Not an intermediate cartridge, but a Service Grade Garand from CMP for $595?? It's certainly battle proven.
    CMP ammo. Some on bandoleers, some in 240 rd spam cans and some loose in .30 cal. cans. What is available changes at times.
    Buy some (several) extra en blocs, a CMP cartridge belt and a few spare parts.
    USGI Alice suspenders are not period correct of course but will work with the above M1923 cartridge belt and are easy to come by.

Last edited:

fergie22

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    walkerton
    these are all good guns but the mags for the sks are sometimes hard to get seated with the long front tab my gun of choice is the mini 14 not to pricey and reliable jmo

semper fi

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    Most of the good .308s have been mentioned, but if you're willing to look at a bolt, the Ishapore Enfield in 7.62x51 is a good gun witha quick bolt. It also will carry 13 rounds of ammo.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I picked up a DPMS sportical (I think) at an Indy 1500 last year for around $725.

In your price range, I'd go with an SKS, AK, or AR15. The mini-14 is another option, that was my first rifle purchase.

After-market magazines can be iffy with any gun. Practice, practice, practice with whatever combination you get, so you can toss the bad mags (or sell them.) I've had mags that wouldn't function properly in my rifle function fine in a friends.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Not an intermediate cartridge, but a Service Grade Garand from CMP for $595?? It's certainly battle proven.
    CMP ammo. Some on bandoleers, some in 240 rd spam cans and some loose in .30 cal. cans. What is available changes at times.
    USGI Alice suspenders are not period correct of course but will work with the above M1923 cartridge and are easy to come by.
    Look no further. You will not go wrong with an M1.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Some people shy away from the Garand because you have to have en blocs for it. Here's the way I look at it, though I'm not up on current prices.
    En blocs cost $1.00 - $1.50 - $2.00 each.
    3 en blocs hold 24 rounds, for say $6.00 clip cost.
    1 FAL 20 round mag cost around $20.00
    1 M1A 20 round mag cost over $20.00
    Cetme mags (aluminum) are faily cheap. Steel Cetme I don't remember off hand but they are higher, for good reason.

There are loadout methods that will allow you to carry many en blocs, in fact more than you'd want to carry in some cases.

Plus when an M1 runs dry, there is no mag change in the traditional sense. Just ram home another en bloc and let fly.

I hear a lot of bad things about the low cost FAL and Cetme rifles. I've looked at several but could not bring myself to buy one because of what I consider the strong risk of ending up with a bad one.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    A good and I stress good (as in properly assembled) CETME is hard to beat for the money and $.97 20 round mags really sweetens the pot.

ndawoods25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have both the FAL & a Romanian AK-47. Hands down its my Century Arms FAL. I bought it 3 years ago off someones shoulder at Knob Creek for a wopping $500. I also have a Bushmaster Ar-15, Remington LTR sniper rifle and Remington 700 long range custom. I would take my FAL 1st out of all of them

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    VZ2008 From Century. Hands down the best combat carbine I have ever seen for the money ($350-$400). Accurate, inexpensive to shoot, easily upgradeable, 30 round magazines, last round bolt hold open, light weight (6.5lb empty), milled steel receiver, plenty of places to get accessories for it. Better than the AR, AK, FAL, HK, M1A, etc as far as simplicity and design goes.
    vz 2008 - Google Search

My two choices are the VZ from 0-400m, and the PTR 91 out to ~1000m.
    Oh, and G3 steel mags are ~$3 or so IIRC

Last edited:

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    I'd say the AK edges out the SKS as the best budget battle rifle. Both have rugged durability, unquestionable reliability, and shoot a very popular and effective cartridge (7.62x39). The AK's advantage is of course in the detacheable magazine vs. the fixed box on the SKS.

SKS's are typically less expensive than AK's, and would get my vote for best budget battle rifle if the budget is the number one criteria.

SKS!!!!!!!:rockwoot:

23mar03

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I've got to do it........
    With $700, buy 5 Mosin Nagant 91/30's and ammo to arm you and 4 of your friends.
    This way you protected 4 other families and you all can hit targets in the next county.
    This Battle Rifle proved itself for the Commies, it can do it for you.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    With $700, buy 5 Mosin Nagant 91/30's and ammo to arm you and 4 of your friends.
    This way you protected 4 other families and you all can hit targets in the next county.

Think there is a good motivational pic out there something like that...

motivator2040884mu2.jpg

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU

I think the OP wanted a semi-auto:D I like the bolt guns for shooting L O N G distance:yesway:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    USGI Alice suspenders are not period correct of course but will work with the above M1923 cartridge belt and are easy to come by.

My thought also :yesway:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton

^^
    This gets my vote, plus if you have the time you can drive to port clinton ,the north store, and pick out the one you want. I bought a feild grade this way ($495) and am totaly happy with it

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    If you are looking for a self loader military style firearm, $700 is real close to an Arsenal AK or a PTR91G1 .308 at CDDN ($899).

Both of these rifle styles are battle tested and winners. A choice between intermediate or high power cartridge.

Magazines are also plentiful and affordable for each of these choices.

Top Bottom