• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gibby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2014
    Rochester
    I am going to Wyoming for a pretty lengthy camping trip this summer. What are some handguns you would recommend for carrying in the woods? I'm leaning towards a .44 mag so perhaps a s&w 29 or 629, but both are pretty big for my hands. Any other thoughts?
    The 629 with the hottest thing you can get good hits with from Buffalo Boar.

gibby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2014
    Rochester
    I know of a bear guide in Homer Alaska who carries a 500S&W loaded with 700gr. cast bullets. My father in law ordered some of his other cast bullets and was given a couple of the 700gr. monsters. He told us his "load" and said no more than two a day through no less than a 8&3/8 inch barrel. We finally found a brave soul "dumb@$$" to shoot one. He wouldn't shoot two.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Glock 20 10mm seems like a no brainer.
    Lighter gun than some big revolvers.
    Holster options out the ying-yang
    15 rounds in the mag.
    Carry an extra mag or two, and that's a lot of firepower to get you out of a sticky mess.
    and you can mount a flashlight on it

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...a bear-bell, some quality pepper spray and heads up situational awareness would be my choice for dealing with bears...

Sorry in advance, I couldn't help myself...

BearSign.jpg

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    12ga 870 pumper with slugs

I dig the Glock 10mm idea as back up to a good long arm

If money is no object I can think or a few others that would work

Brewster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Bloomington
    This is all great info! I was certainly leaning towards a large caliber revolver, but I would need a lot of practice! A shotgun would be a lot easier for me, especially if I was staying in one spot.

TECKS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 30, 2014
    SPEEDWAY
    Ask the Alaska state troopers what they bring when they go into the bush. Its a 12ga. Sling one on your back and use your edc as back up. Shot placement is key with any animal. Solid bullets are a must. For slugs, steel if you can find them

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Even in remote areas you are not alone, the gun is more for people then bears. Regardless of target, it's a gun that has to be accessible. Between 4 seasons, hunting, fishing, hiking and outdoor work I have a number of options for carrying. I use Glocks. I carry 3 mags, 1 with hollow points, 2 with FMJ's. I never see carrying a 5lb revolver while grouse hunting, kayaking or chainsawing.

With bears we use layers. Watch and listen. Noise. Dogs. Mace. Of course guns. This winter I added slings to 3 shotguns so we are more likely to grab one, they are all filled with slugs. One is fairly light weight and a folder, it's been in all our camps for the past 15 years. The guns are more for wolves. The dogs tend to run off the bears but **** off the wolves.

Years ago I studied how to shoot a charging bear, I feel like that made me a better hunter in terms of shot placement. It also made me realize the handgun is for SHTF (see shotgun above). You may survive, but you will need first aid skills. At night I place my glock on a small white towel, it's easier to find that way.

Just for fun, read the story of the couple who were killed and eaten while in their tent. As I recall it was written by a close friend who went to where it happened and reconstructed it to some degree. It was rather chilling, as these people knew bears, had a shotgun and still never had a chance. I have had critters just outside my tent before, the dog always knows before I do.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    AR pistol in .458 SOCOM. Loaded up with 500+ grain hard cast boolits.:ar15:

I'm not sure who it would hurt more, you or the bear.:dunno:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    As was said in the second post...a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in .45-70. There's a reason they call it the Guide Gun...when you absolutely have to stop that griz now....because it's in camp or killing your client and you'd like to get paid. This round can take anything in America and has taken everything in Africa too.

Regardless of weapon, choose a solid, hard cast, flat nosed bullet. The broader and flatter the meptlat the better. Here's a good article on why: Garrett Cartridges

And something else you might want to peruse: Garrett Cartridges

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    As others noted, definitely have some bear spray first, not the ordinary stuff intended for humans, but the stuff specifically for bruins that comes in what looks like a mini fire extinguisher cylinder.
    Since you'll be in Wyoming, there's a 98% chance that any bear you get close to will be the smaller and less aggressive of the two species found in the lower 48 states.
    With that said, I agree with the others who said forget the handgun and get some real bear stopping medicine by getting a Marlin 1895G loaded with heavy hard cast semi-wadcutters loaded up to the max that a Marlin can handle.
    Buffalo Bore sells such ammo, as does Garrett.
    If you're a knowledge reloader, there are data in the manuals specifically for the Marlin's strong action.

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    If you're hiking with someone else, then .22LR will be sufficient.

:D

Not if they're carrying the .45-70!

Another good source for safari rounds, including +p .45 Colt rounds is Cor-Bon. They offer law enforcement and military discounts if you have access to one of those.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I can't imagine having an animal charge you the way some will. NOT a bear but skip to the end of this video. You know even with getting the shot that the dude had to have crapped himself.
    [video=youtube;tEIGqD80N6U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEIGqD80N6U[/video]

Top Bottom