• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Ruger Blackhawk 45 lc loaded with a top load under a Lyman 452651 325 grain hard cast bullet. I've seen this bullet go through a whitetail diagonally, left front shoulder and out the right hindquarter, breaking bones along the way. This came out of a Henry rifle, but I'm assuming your range will be closer.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    No one had said .25 and aim for the eyes yet? Hmmm.

A .25 seems overkill. .22 with a good soild bullet and aim for the glare in its eye.

Personally, I would prefer my 629 Smith with a good 300+ gr. hard cast gas checked solid at full magnum load or as close to it as I felt comfortable with.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Bought my G20 for wilderness hunting in the west. I like the Buffalo Bore - little extra pop. If you're hiking a lot and have the handgun on your side, the G20 is relatively light even though there are 15+1 rounds. The weight of the handgun was a consideration for me as well as the reputation of the G20 in Alaska (The 10mm Auto Pistol).

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Of a serious note, the recommendations for Garrett cartridges are good. They are hard to beat. Just be sure and follow the ballastic recommendations. For instance, some of their loads are too long for rifles. Some are recommended for only certain pistols. You'll notice that the S&W's are missing from the lists. Also some recommend at least a 4 inch barrel. That would leave out the Ruger Alaskan.

Bottom line is you need to do your homework.

Brewster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Bloomington
    I have decided to get a .44 mag, likely a model 29 or 629. I do appreciate all the opinions. I love the idea of getting a shorter barreled 12 gauge to keep in the tent as well, especially something like a serbu super shorty.

Brewster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Bloomington
    Also, of course I will carry bear spray. That's always my first line of defense when dealing with any bear, black or brown. I'd prefer to chase something off than shoot it any day.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    How about 11 rounds of .22 to the face?

Sounds about right. I've never seen a bear volunteer to get shot with a .22, its all about shot placement, a hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44, which you left in your nightstand drawer anyway, etc.

To repeat a truism I've seen around the Internet: Gun forums are the place where caliber is irrelevant to defend yourself from humans but incredibly relevant to defending yourself from bears.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I have decided to get a .44 mag, likely a model 29 or 629. I do appreciate all the opinions. I love the idea of getting a shorter barreled 12 gauge to keep in the tent as well, especially something like a serbu super shorty.

I am a big fan of the 44 mag. It is a very versatile round if you handload. I would suggest a Redhawk or Super Redhawk. The Alaskan model might be best for carrying. There are loads with a heavy bullet that are rated for the Rugers, but not the S&Ws. I have both a 629 (5") and a Redhawk (7.5"). They are both great guns, but the S&W has its limits when it comes to powerful loads. Even with lighter loads, the recoil from the lighter 629 is more noticeable than from my Redhawk. I would load up some 300-350 grain hard cast bullets. There are loads out there for the Rugers that are pretty fast with those large bullets. Not only will the big Rugers hanlde the loads, but they will also reduce recoil due to their weight. :twocents:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Also, of course I will carry bear spray. That's always my first line of defense when dealing with any bear, black or brown. I'd prefer to chase something off than shoot it any day.

Careful with the spray. When you're close enough to use it if it fails you may be too close for much of a second chance with the firearm. I'd recommend drawing on it then spray with the other hand if you can so if it doesn't turn or just gets more angry you have immediate recourse to plan B.

Also, watch the direction of the wind...

Top Bottom