• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    NOT battle of the sexes. that game is sexist, the girls question will be "whats bigger a soft ball or a baseball". the guys question will be "whats oprahs third cousin's sons middle name"

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Apples to Apples.

It's fun for just about any age and you'll laugh until you cry.

Buy it, wrap it, give it for a gift and wait for your "thank you." I've never met anyone who didn't enjoy playing.

Benny, that is an excellent idea! Apples to Apples is a riot and combined with your analytical mind Rambone, it will be hillarious! :D

GM_Geezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    My fav is Scattergories for a large group. The family has been on a dutch blitz frenzy since last summer.The little ones like trouble.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Apples to Apples.

Buy it, wrap it, give it for a gift and wait for your "thank you." I've never met anyone who didn't enjoy playing.
    I come from a game playing family. We've played nearly every game mentioned in this thread and I thoroughly enjoy most of them.

However, give a choice between Apples to Apples and any other activity, I will always choose other, even if that means a trip to the proctologist.

I hate that game and don't even like to be within ear shot while others play.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I come from a game playing family. We've played nearly every game mentioned in this thread and I thoroughly enjoy most of them.

However, give a choice between Apples to Apples and any other activity, I will always choose other, even if that means a trip to the proctologist.

Then you're too competitive.

NOT battle of the sexes. that game is sexist, the girls question will be "whats bigger a soft ball or a baseball". the guys question will be "whats oprahs third cousin's sons middle name"

It is without a doubt 100% geared towards females. My family played on Christmas Eve and at LEAST 90% of the female's questions were 50-50 and maybe 5% of the males were.

A good portion of the males questions the females couldn't even answer.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011

Amen to that. My Mom has made us play that the last couple years and we all hate it

Wingcollector

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Zionsville
    Apples to Apples.

I agree! We play it with the kids and adult friends. Although the kids don't understand why the adults crack up sometimes! :):

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    Would you rather. It's best played by teenagers or higher but if your family doesn't have kids too young then its a blast. I've played it with friends over and its never dull. You have to chose options about would you rather never shower again or would you rather never be able to use toilet paper? And tellI the groupguy why. Then you have challenges when a player makes up his own question so it gets funny.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I've found Ticket to Ride, Settlers of Catan, and Dominion all to be excellent strategy games, playable by either 2,3, or 4 players. (And I think Settlers might have an optional 5th and 6th player expansion). Having one child, the 2 or 3 is desirable, and now she frequently has her friend over, so the 4th player is a great way to engage everyone.

These games are simple once you have the rules down pat (remember how hard Euchre seemed before you played a few rounds?) but it might take a couple botched rounds to figure out the subtleties. So, they require just a bit of patience to study the rules or muddle through, or having someone else teach you how to play (which takes them all of about 30 seconds).

Also, there is a local store in Bloomington and Indianapolis called Game Preserve (The Game Preserve Stores: Hand-picked board games, cards, chess) that seem to be staffed by knowledgable gamers. Any time I've gone in and named a few games I like, they have been able to quickly recommend something that has been a big hit.

:+1: on Settlers of Catan (Yes there are 5 - 6 player expansions) & Ticket to Ride.

Also lookup Puerto Rico, Scotland Yard, and an italian card game called Bang!

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    NSJFRdK6r2MOGN6RFfvLhi7CBXplE_ZNN97HvPWcA70yxkkvRL77-DruuVN-mAddk8pYerZ3G4NZP7Qa9AS_P3yTqRJqmHgpDyyyioSd03odd0fn5gil4lQ4VdMWTZ-c3n6D7tl_QrZM6me1Bws

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    We've got a bunch of card and board games, but fall back on the old school ones like yahtzee, monopoly, life, scrabble, boggle, UNO and Phase 10. When the kids were little it was lots of shoots and ladders, candyland and chinese checkers.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I'm dying to know how you draw this conclusion based on my saying that I enjoy a lot of games, but not one in particular. Based on?

Because a 7 year old playing for the first time can win against a bunch of older veterans of the game.

I prefer skill/intellectual games myself, but I usually LMAO when I play this one, so that's why I suggested it.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    We've got a bunch of card and board games, but fall back on the old school ones like yahtzee, monopoly, life, scrabble, boggle, UNO and Phase 10. When the kids were little it was lots of shoots and ladders, candyland and chinese checkers.
    you chase bad guys down the fire escape, or just a freudian slip? sorry for the grammar police post, but it made me laugh

Top Bottom