• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I never should have given up alcohol for lent.

Among other things I gave up whiskey/bourbon for Lent but I allowed myself wine/vermouth/cordials (only on the weekends). I did enjoy a bit of whiskey several nights a week but found giving it up has been ZERO problem.

But the hardest thing for me to give up (so far) is soda pop. Damn, I only drink about 1 can a day on a normal day but its something I crave. I didn't give up cigars this year, that has been a yearly tradition for me, but I've cut back from my 1-or-2-a-day cigar habit to 1 a week so it seemed pointless to give that up.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    My wife had to give up soda pop because we found a connection to her having headaches. She hadn't drank one in years until last weekend. After tasting it, she told me it had totally lost its appeal.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    My wife had to give up soda pop because we found a connection to her having headaches. She hadn't drank one in years until last weekend. After tasting it, she told me it had totally lost its appeal.
    I would not mind giving it up completely but I also don't like unflavored water as a substitute.

Got some Wylers, but it uses artificial sweeteners (just like diet pop) that are not particularly good for you. Tried using various citrus flavored 'bitters' but the flavor is not great in just water. Drinking some Green Tea, but I'm not a big fan of tea. In fact I detest cold/ice tea; hot tea is somewhat acceptable on a good day ... or with Chinese food.

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.

ASPERTINE (sic) is the artificial sweetener in soda. VERY BAD stuff! A few years back I was drinking too much diet coke and was having Migrain headaches to the point that I was going total veg. Process of elimination and quit the soda. NO more problems.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    This weekend I picked up a bottle of George Dickel rye whiskey. First let me say that George Dickel #8 is my go to whiskey. Overall I really like this rye it isn't sweet like like the corn whiskey and has a very nice flavor. No burn in the mouth or in the belly. Overall I like this and will buy it again. I believe Manhattans are in my future. Almost forgot $25 for 750ml.

Old Prof

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2015
    West Lafayette
    I never should have given up alcohol for lent.

I usually give up alcohol and candy. In the last year I only have a couple of drinks on Friday, Saturday and Sunday (alcohol makes me even lazier than I usually am), and gave up the second drink. I actually think it is harder than giving up alcohol completely. The first bourbon almost demands a second.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    So the current bourbon is David Nicholson 1843. It is bottled in St Louis and is 100 proof. A wheated bourbon it has a good alcohol nose and a very nice mouth feel. Bit of a burn going down but nothing uncomfortable. Overall I like it. It was about $25 for 750ml bottle.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Basil Hayden's in my glass tonight.
    A. Because I had a dusty bottle.
    B. To change things up.
    C. I, for the life of me, couldn't remember what it tasted like.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I stopped into Binney's Beverage Depot in Oakbrook, IL on my way home from O'Hare Airport to see what they had.

Now I gave up hard liquor for Lent so I was just looking.

Honestly saw about 25 brands that I didn't recognize. Seems like everyone and their brother has jumped into the bourbon business. "Peated" bourbon? WTF!?! Way too many experiments, way too many young bourbons. Not enough quality.

Only bottle that interested me was Jefferson's OCEAN CASK STRENGTH was the only interesting bourbon. Didn't buy it. Should have.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Honestly saw about 25 brands that I didn't recognize. Seems like everyone and their brother has jumped into the bourbon business. "Peated" bourbon? WTF!?! Way too many experiments, way too many young bourbons. Not enough quality.

Only bottle that interested me was Jefferson's OCEAN CASK STRENGTH was the only interesting bourbon. Didn't buy it. Should have.

I've had several of the latest generation which are pretty good but my rule of thumb is that if it doesn't say "Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey" on the bottle I don't buy it. Many of these new bourbons are made using grain alcohol coming out of Lawrenceburg, IN rather than coming up with their own mash bill and doing it the way God intended. :D

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I've had several of the latest generation which are pretty good but my rule of thumb is that if it doesn't say "Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey" on the bottle I don't buy it. Many of these new bourbons are made using grain alcohol coming out of Lawrenceburg, IN rather than coming up with their own mash bill and doing it the way God intended. :D

I don't have an issue with bourbons from Midwest Grain Products. They have produced many award winners. So I could care less if it says "Kentucky" on the label. There are 3 very good New York bourbons in my cabinet, one of which is blended from I don't know what product or where it was sourced, the other 2 are distilled and aged in NY. I've got an awesome Ohio bourbon. And excellent Colorado bourbon (or 2).

The key to me is that nothing ages a bourbon better than age. So if they say its aged in micro-barrels ... I avoid it; tried it, tastes young. If they say its aged in Florida heat and that ages it in "dog years" then I will avoid it ... tried it, it tastes young. I'm not into gimmicks.

But I'm also not all that worried about where it was distilled. Carl J from Starlight in Indiana is an amazing bourbon, about $35, and stands up to Pappy 12 for taste. But its obviously not a Kentucky Straight.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Gave Blanton's a try recently. Not bad. Cool bottle.

I rarely put rocks in my alcohol, but this one's a bit strong with the smoke. One or two cubes cuts it down nicely.

B_original.png

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't have an issue with bourbons from Midwest Grain Products. They have produced many award winners. So I could care less if it says "Kentucky" on the label. There are 3 very good New York bourbons in my cabinet, one of which is blended from I don't know what product or where it was sourced, the other 2 are distilled and aged in NY. I've got an awesome Ohio bourbon. And excellent Colorado bourbon (or 2).

The key to me is that nothing ages a bourbon better than age. So if they say its aged in micro-barrels ... I avoid it; tried it, tastes young. If they say its aged in Florida heat and that ages it in "dog years" then I will avoid it ... tried it, it tastes young. I'm not into gimmicks.

But I'm also not all that worried about where it was distilled. Carl J from Starlight in Indiana is an amazing bourbon, about $35, and stands up to Pappy 12 for taste. But its obviously not a Kentucky Straight.

I'm not saying good bourbon can't be made from the grain alcohol but too many of the new bourbons have little to no information available. There are standards which must be met to put KSBW on the bottle which makes it easy to know what's happened with the contents of the bottle.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I'm not sure what you are saying about 'grain alcohol' at all.

Bourbon, by law, is well defined. And the law does NOT require it come from Kentucky.

Bourbon must be no less than 51% corn. Its often closer to 70%. The remainder is typically rye, barely or wheat. When distilled it is clear, not brown/amber/golden in color. Totally clear.

Bourbon cannot be distilled to a proof higher than 160.
    Bourbon cannot enter the aging barrel at anything higher than 125 proof.
    Bourbon cannot be sold in a proof lower than 80.

Bourbon must be aged in new, charred, oak barrels; the gold/amber/brownish color of the finished bourbon comes from the barrel. It must be all natural and cannot contain any flavorings so basically only water can be added and that is done to adjust the proof to the desired bottling proof.

Bourbon aged at least 2 years is "Straight" bourbon. Any bourbon aged LESS THAN 4 years is required to have an age statement but many seem to violated not only this but other label requirements.

An Indiana Straight Bourbon Whiskey, or California, or Colorado, or Wyoming, or Ohio, or a New York Straight Bourbon Whiskey can be every bit as good, or even better than, a Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. Straight is simply an age statement indicating that it is at least 2 years old. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'm not sure what you are saying about 'grain alcohol' at all.

Bourbon, by law, is well defined. And the law does NOT require it come from Kentucky.

Bourbon must be no less than 51% corn. Its often closer to 70%. The remainder is typically rye, barely or wheat. When distilled it is clear, not brown/amber/golden in color. Totally clear.

Bourbon cannot be distilled to a proof higher than 160.
    Bourbon cannot enter the aging barrel at anything higher than 125 proof.
    Bourbon cannot be sold in a proof lower than 80.

Bourbon must be aged in new, charred, oak barrels; the gold/amber/brownish color of the finished bourbon comes from the barrel. It must be all natural and cannot contain any flavorings so basically only water can be added and that is done to adjust the proof to the desired bottling proof.

Bourbon aged at least 2 years is "Straight" bourbon. Any bourbon aged LESS THAN 4 years is required to have an age statement but many seem to violated not only this but other label requirements.

An Indiana Straight Bourbon Whiskey, or California, or Colorado, or Wyoming, or Ohio, or a New York Straight Bourbon Whiskey can be every bit as good, or even better than, a Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. Straight is simply an age statement indicating that it is at least 2 years old. Nothing more. Nothing less.

YEP!^^^^

I covered all of that in my English paper on bourbon, specifically Buffalo Trace's marketing program.

Bourbon is actually very well defined. I believe all bourbons could be considered whisky's, but not all whisky's are bourbons due to the legal limits set on defining bourbon.

It is funny how many people think it HAS to come from a certain state, or that it MUST be a certain type of Oak. It doesn't even have to come from America, if I recall correctly.

Regards,

Doug

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    ... Bourbon is actually very well defined. I believe all bourbons could be considered whisky's, but not all whisky's are bourbons due to the legal limits set on defining bourbon.

It is funny how many people think it HAS to come from a certain state, or that it MUST be a certain type of Oak. It doesn't even have to come from America, if I recall correctly. ...

Bourbon is an "American Spirit" and I believe (99% sure) that somewhere there is a law that requires it to be made in America if it is labeled as BOURBON.

Bourbon is considered Whisky. It is also considered Whiskey. So 100% of the Bourbon produced is Whisky/Whiskey. But as Whisky/Whiskey can also include Scotch, Rye, and probably White Dog (un-aged), in addition to Bourbon, it stands to reason that NOT all Whisky/Whiskey is Bourbon.

I believe its traditional to use White Oak, but I am not sure if that is required, I don't believe it is. However for it to be Bourbon it must be aged in newly made (unused) Oak that has been charred. There are many different levels of 'Char' and all standard levels of Char are acceptable.

Top Bottom