• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Tried of a bit of this last evening. Indiana Bourbon that is aged and bottled in Holland Michigan. So I presume that means the mash is made in Indiana and then transported across the state line in vats to be casked and aged??? Or maybe its all done INSIDE the state of Indiana and the process is simply managed by New Holland Brewing, which is based in Michigan? They don't really say, other than the fact that its Indiana Bourbon.

imagejpg3_zpsceb64f21.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsbad9197d.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsd73fb955.jpg

Tried some of it straight up and some with a single ice cube.

There was some alcohol burn straight up that was all but eliminated with the single cube of ice. Flavors seemed to open up a bit with the ice as well, making for a very pleasant and drinkable bourbon. Not as sweet as I thought it might be.

I believe this is the polar opposite of their Dragon's Milk.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    High West American Prarie Reserve.

High west is most known for their Rye Whiskey but this bourbon is amazing.

You can never go wrong with Makers Mark, or Makers 46

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Tried of a bit of this last evening. Indiana Bourbon that is aged and bottled in Holland Michigan. So I presume that means the mash is made in Indiana and then transported across the state line in vats to be casked and aged??? Or maybe its all done INSIDE the state of Indiana and the process is simply managed by New Holland Brewing, which is based in Michigan? They don't really say, other than the fact that its Indiana Bourbon.

imagejpg3_zpsceb64f21.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsbad9197d.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsd73fb955.jpg

Tried some of it straight up and some with a single ice cube.

There was some alcohol burn straight up that was all but eliminated with the single cube of ice. Flavors seemed to open up a bit with the ice as well, making for a very pleasant and drinkable bourbon. Not as sweet as I thought it might be.

might have aves to give this a shot. How much did it cost and where did you buy?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I think it was around $30, maybe $35. I picked up 3 different bottles and the total price was right at $100, Spring Mill was cheapest at about $27, Willett was the most expensive of the 3 bottles so this bottle had to have been $30-$35.

Picked it up at St John Wine & Spirits at the St John/Crown Point border.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Stopped at a different liquor shop on the way home from a condo flip that we are finishing up and found another local distillery that makes small batch bourbons. This is also an organic product. This is from 3 Oaks Michigan, which is on the Michigan/Indiana border at Lake Michigan. No, I didn't try it yet. Probably Friday evening?

IMG_0783_zps58b34047.jpg

IMG_0784_zps7a90703f.jpg

I found some W.H.Harrison Governor's Reserve, at about $55/bottle, which is another Indiana made Bourbon. There were a few bottles on the shelf. I also found a distributor who has a few bottles of the W.H.Harrison Presidential Reserve, at $110/bottle. The liquor salesman, who is also INGO member aclark, sells this particular brand. Aaron says the Presidential Reserve is very good. The Governor's Reserve is sort of iffy. And their standard product, which is unavailable at this time due to production/bottling issues, and only a bit over 1/2 the price of the Governor's, is a much better tasting bourbon. So I passed on the Governor's Reserve and am debating on spending the cash for the Presidential Reserve.

Last edited:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I had a bit of the Elijah Craig 12yo (mentioned earlier) tonight followed by a bit of Wild Turkey's "Forgiven" bourbon/rye blend. Both are definitely worth a try - both explore more the "high rye" end of the bourbon continuum.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I found some W.H.Harrison Governor's Reserve, at about $55/bottle, which is another Indiana made Bourbon. There were a few bottles on the shelf. I also found a distributor who has a few bottles of the W.H.Harrison Presidential Reserve, at $110/bottle. The liquor salesman, who is also INGO member aclark, sells this particular brand. Aaron says the Presidential Reserve is very good. The Governor's Reserve is sort of iffy. And their standard product, which is unavailable at this time due to production/bottling issues, and only a bit over 1/2 the price of the Governor's, is a much better tasting bourbon. So I passed on the Governor's Reserve and am debating on spending the cash for the Presidential Reserve.

Thanks for this new info. I have been trying to find a way to get a bottle of the prez reserve! This is the one that bottled less than 1000 bottles as a one time production right?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Thanks for this new info. I have been trying to find a way to get a bottle of the prez reserve! This is the one that bottled less than 1000 bottles as a one time production right?

The President's Reserve is the very limited production, I think 918 bottles or something like that. INGO member 'aclark' is a salesman at the company that distributes this stuff, there are a dozen bottles in his warehouse, if you want a bottle you need to send him a PM and he should be able to help you get it delivered to your local liquor store. He works in NW Indiana, so he'd have to contact a salesrep in your area to arrange for it to end up at a store in Hamilton county.

fochman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Stopped at a different liquor shop on the way home from a condo flip that we are finishing up and found another local distillery that makes small batch bourbons. This is also an organic product. This is from 3 Oaks Michigan, which is on the Michigan/Indiana border at Lake Michigan. No, I didn't try it yet. Probably Friday evening?

IMG_0783_zps58b34047.jpg

IMG_0784_zps7a90703f.jpg

I have sampled this whiskey at the distillery in Three Oaks and IMHO it is worth the price. Journeyman makes a variety of whiskey, gin, rum & vodka. Great place to visit and enjoy a few flights of their products. They are located in the same building as the Acorn Theater.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OK, dinner is over so let the bourbon begin...

Journeyman from 3 Oaks, Michigan ~vs~ Spring Mill from Indianapolis, IN.

Both are 90 proof.

Spring Mill has a medium caramel color tint to it, while the Journeyman is noticeably lighter in color. Neither bottle indicates how long either was aged in the casks, but its likely that the Spring Mill has been aged longer simply because of the darker color.

All bourbons are aged in new, charred, oak barrels. The color comes from the aging in the charred barrels and while it is not an absolute certainty, the darker the color is often an indicator of a longer period in the cask.

Journeyman has a pleasant, almost sweet, aroma to it while the Spring Mill seems to have some more pronounced aroma with stronger hints of alcohol. Both were sniffed after breathing in glasses, neat, for several minutes.

While nearly sweet to the smell, there is no sweetness to the taste, the Journeyman clearly has an alcohol bite that is sharp on the finish causing a tingling on the lips and inside the mouth. There is also an alcohol burn all the way down to the stomach.

Switching over to the Spring Mill I found a much smoother flavor with none of the sharpness or alcohol bite in my mouth. There was a bit of alcohol burn, but far less than the Journeyman, it was more of a warm feeling instead of a burn. A second sip confirmed my findings that the Spring Mill is clearly the smoother of the two bourbons.

A single cube of ice was added to the Journeyman while I sampled the Spring Mill. With some of the ice melted into the Journeyman I began sipping again and found the drink to be somewhat acrid in flavor and it still maintained the alcohol burn on the way down. With ice I am finding the Journeyman to be LESS pleasant to drink and I wasn't overly impressed with it before the ice went into the glass. I think the Journeyman will be relegated to mixed drinks. I'll probably compare it to something in the future, but its not good enough for sippin'

With a sip of water between each of the drinks each time I switched, I went back to the Spring Mill, this time with a single cube of ice partially melted into the bourbon. Something bad happens to the Spring Mill when it is diluted. It actually picked up a bit of mouth bite, but it remained smooth as it went down. Waited a bit and allowed the ice to melt about 50% and the Spring Mill then mellowed out and became a pleasant drink on the rocks.

Overall, I'll pick the Spring Mill any day over the Journeyman.

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Bourbon goes from the still to the barrel. Because JD "charcoal mallows" the white dog before barreling, it can NOT be called bourbon.

also, I believe this is a stumbling block given the charcoalish taste imparted in the process.

My cabinet is not allowed to run out of Makers, Knob Creek, Basil Hayden or Woodford. I like the Makers 46 and Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve quite a bit. Also a fan of Willet.

Lately, have been drinking more from a small distillery near where I grew up at in southern MO, Copper Run. 7.62, maybe we'll set up another cigar night and I'll bring some along for you to try.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    OK, dinner is over so let the bourbon begin...

Journeyman from 3 Oaks, Michigan ~vs~ Spring Mill from Indianapolis, IN.

Both are 90 proof.

Spring Mill has a medium caramel color tint to it, while the Journeyman is noticeably lighter in color. Neither bottle indicates how long either was aged in the casks, but its likely that the Spring Mill has been aged longer simply because of the darker color.

All bourbons are aged in new, charred, oak barrels. The color comes from the aging in the charred barrels and while it is not an absolute certainty, the darker the color is often an indicator of a longer period in the cask.

Journeyman has a pleasant, almost sweet, aroma to it while the Spring Mill seems to have some more pronounced aroma with stronger hints of alcohol. Both were sniffed after breathing in glasses, neat, for several minutes.

While nearly sweet to the smell, there is no sweetness to the taste, the Journeyman clearly has an alcohol bite that is sharp on the finish causing a tingling on the lips and inside the mouth. There is also an alcohol burn all the way down to the stomach.

Switching over to the Spring Mill I found a much smoother flavor with none of the sharpness or alcohol bite in my mouth. There was a bit of alcohol burn, but far less than the Journeyman, it was more of a warm feeling instead of a burn. A second sip confirmed my findings that the Spring Mill is clearly the smoother of the two bourbons.

A single cube of ice was added to the Journeyman while I sampled the Spring Mill. With some of the ice melted into the Journeyman I began sipping again and found the drink to be somewhat acrid in flavor and it still maintained the alcohol burn on the way down. With ice I am finding the Journeyman to be LESS pleasant to drink and I wasn't overly impressed with it before the ice went into the glass. I think the Journeyman will be relegated to mixed drinks. I'll probably compare it to something in the future, but its not good enough for sippin'

With a sip of water between each of the drinks each time I switched, I went back to the Spring Mill, this time with a single cube of ice partially melted into the bourbon. Something bad happens to the Spring Mill when it is diluted. It actually picked up a bit of mouth bite, but it remained smooth as it went down. Waited a bit and allowed the ice to melt about 50% and the Spring Mill then mellowed out and became a pleasant drink on the rocks.

Overall, I'll pick the Spring Mill any day over the Journeyman.

Thanks for the review!

Top Bottom