• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Its a new app, but it was picked the official app of WHISKIES OF THE WORLD's expo.

I suspect that it will take a bit of time for users to populate the data with enough data to make it worthwhile as a real reference, but you can at least track your own stuff until its got more data.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Jim Beam BLACK LABEL is no longer guaranteed to be aged at least 8 years.

Jim Beam WHITE LABLE is aged for 4 years.

The older bottle still have the "double aged" and "8 year" statement on them.

The newer bottles will have the "double aged" statement but removes the 8 year statement.

That means that some of the bourbon will likely be between 4 and 7 years old, mixed in with some bourbons that are aged 8 or more years. It is very likely that the taste of the bourbon will not change. Depending upon location inside the warehouses the bourbons age/mature at different rates due to temperatures differences, sunlight, air circulation, etc. So it probably won't make any real difference to those of us who have an older bottle and compare it to a new bottle in terms of taste.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Jim Beam BLACK LABEL is no longer guaranteed to be aged at least 8 years.

The older bottle still have the double aged for 8 years statement on them.

The newer bottles will have the double aged statement but removes the 8 year statement.

That means that some of the bourbon will likely be between 4 and 7 years old, mixed in with some bourbons that are aged 8 or more years. It is very likely that the taste of the bourbon will not change. Depending upon location inside the warehouses the bourbons age/mature at different rates due to temperatures differences, sunlight, air circulation, etc. So it probably won't make any real difference to those of us who have an older bottle and compare it to a new bottle in terms of taste.

Noooooooooooooooo, that was my go to mixer.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Im enjoying some Blantons tonight..... Last 23 minutes of my 20's. Maybe I should bring out my 30 year old auchentoshan scotch (def not under $50 dollars though).

Work will be a bit rough tomorrow.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    The BOOKER NOE showdown tonight.

From the Jim Beam Distillery: BOOKERS, which is a barrel proof bourbon that is over the $50 price point. My bottle is 130.8 proof. I already wrote about it. And from the Knob Creek Distillery: KNOB CREEK 100 proof bourbon, which was originally distilled by master distiller Booker Noe and is aged 9 years. Both a nice rich amber color of very similar hue. As for aroma, the Knob Creek has a milder aroma but the BOOKERS has a sweeter aroma.

As for taste, the KNOB CREEK is a spicy bourbon, probably high in rye? It also burns all the way down and burns at the bottom too. Unpleasant experience but a nice flavor. So its an odd combination, you want to taste it but you really don't like it straight. So I dropped an ice cube before bothering to continue. With the cube partially melted the spice is tamed down and the burn all but eliminated. In fact with the cube about half melted the KNOB CREEK is actually pretty boring, like generic vanilla ice cream. Can I drink it? Sure. Will I drink it? Sure. But its a 'mixer' quality bourbon to my taste. It simply is not complex or interesting enough to drink with an ice cube partially melted, and its too hot to drink straight.

The BOOKERS, being 130-ish proof, really is great on ice, it has a bold flavor profile with rich tones that fill your palate and its one of the best mid-priced bourbons on the market, but it really does deserve to be tamed a bit with an ice cube. I love this bourbon. Even with the ice cube fully melted the flavors are bold and full.

While the "NOE" family has a long tradition at the Beam distillery and while Booker went on to Knob Creek, I would have to say that Jim Beam's BOOKERS Bourbon is clearly the winner in this show down. And while its over $50 a bottle, it is roughly 130 proof (varies by batch) so if you water it down a bit it will stretch, and that might actually make it equal to less than $50/bottle so, at least in spirit, it might qualify for this thread.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    well, last night I went to my favorite local place with lots of bourbon. They finally got in some Jefferson's Ocean which I've been wanting to try since I saw it reviewed here. I had planned to try a few others like 'old blow hard', but after my first glass of Ocean on the rocks, I was hooked. I didn't drink anything else. It is definitely my new favorite!!!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    well, last night I went to my favorite local place with lots of bourbon. They finally got in some Jefferson's Ocean which I've been wanting to try since I saw it reviewed here. I had planned to try a few others like 'old blow hard', but after my first glass of Ocean on the rocks, I was hooked. I didn't drink anything else. It is definitely my new favorite!!!

Glad my review of Ocean helped, and also glad you didn't think it tasted like crap :):

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    $9.99 on sale at CVS Pharmacy.

Its a super easy to drink bourbon. Enjoyable cold, at room temperature or (and this is my favorite way) warmed up in the microwave for a few moments.

Its only available in the fall season. There is a similar product from Jack Daniels that will be back on the store shelves, it comes in a bottle over wrapped with a white label and I think its called Tennessee Winter Cider or something similar to that, the Evan Williams is a bit smoother/sweeter. So if you like smoother/sweeter then pick Evans. If you like a bit more whiskey flavor pick the JD.

IMG_4325_zps7a94aaff.jpg

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Bourbon Tasting, 5P-8P next Wed. night, 15 OCT 2014 at the Dupont & Lima Cap N Cork in Fort Wayne. MANY MANY MANY good choices to sample. Just got my Email today. 665.jpg

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    I hope I get a call for a bottle of Jefferson's ocean. I put my number in at a Couple of places, we'll see what happens. I enjoyed a sample of jefferson's reserve recently (thanks Bob) and I really enjoyed it. Next time, I will cool it down a bit with an ice cube, but wow the flavor is great.

I'll be stopping at CVS tomorrow for a couple bottles of the Evan Williams Apple Orchard. I almost bought the JD version but it was $19.99 and 15%... Kinda silly if you ask me...

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    All this reading about bourbon got my taste buds going. All I have at the moment is a handle of Jim Beam Black Cherry (not sure why I have this) and Wild Turkey American Honey... Had a glass of American Honey and now I want to go liquor shopping!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I'll be stopping at CVS tomorrow for a couple bottles of the Evan Williams Apple Orchard. I almost bought the JD version but it was $19.99 and 15%... Kinda silly if you ask me...

Apple Orchard is a very different taste than the JD's Tennessee Winter Cider. I think there is winter version from Evan Williams also, while the EW Apple Orchard is their fall offering.

In any case, about 3 ounces in a juice glass, warmed in the microwave for 20-30 seconds . . . . mmmmmmm

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Thanks Bob. Picked some up a few minutes ago. I think tonights a nice night for a fire and couple glasses of a new drink. I love anything apple usually, so this is probably going to be great.

Have you been able to pick up a bottle of Ocean recently?

Edit: couldn't wait for the fire.. This is a nice drink. Have a tickle in my throat and the warmth feels so good right now.. Love the spice taste. Pretty cool for $10. Now if I just new a place to get a nice cigar.....

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    i just got to taste some single barrel Evan Willams from a barrel pulled specifically for The Keystone Sports review in Indy...
    it is a good sipping bourbon.. they sell it by the bottle for $23 , plus they do pour it so you can try it first..

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Enjoying a bourbon Manhatten tonight. Made with STETSON bourbon, it's not good enough to drink straight. So the STETSON has been relegated to mixer status.

1/2oz sweet vermouth, 2oz bourbon, 2-3 dashes of bitters, cherry and Orange twist. Over ice.

i just got to taste some single barrel Evan Willams from a barrel pulled specifically for The Keystone Sports review in Indy...
    it is a good sipping bourbon.. they sell it by the bottle for $23 , plus they do pour it so you can try it first..

Volume retail buyers can pick a barrel at most of the major distillers and have it reserved for them, in turn they are obligated to buy the bottles that come from the barrel. It's really not all that special, more just a marketing tool that allows them to say it was pulled especially for them.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Wife bought me 3 bottles for my birthday.

Garrison Brothers TEXAS Bourbon
    Widow Jane (distilled in Indiana, finished in NY)
    Barterhouse 20 year old

Sipping on the Garrison Bros. Now while smoking a LUJ Fugitive cigar. The Garrison Bros is aged 2 years, very smooth, very little burn but only after it hits bottom and it's not a hot sustained burn but rather a warm feeling. Not hot. I very much like this!

Garrison https://caskers.com/product/garrison-brothers-texas-straight-bourbon-whiskey/
    Widow JANE https://caskers.com/product/wj/
    Barterhouse https://caskers.com/product/barterhouse-old-blowhard-kentucky-bourbon-whiskey/

Last edited:
    Top Bottom