• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CharlieZulu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Not your typical bottom shelf Rebel Yell. If you prefer wheater's, as do I, this version is fantastic! Mashbill constists of 68% Corn, 20% Wheat, 12% Malted Barley. Assumed to be juice from Heaven Hill, aged 10 years, bottled at 100 proof. Thought this would be a difficult one to find since it's a limited run but I found the 1st bottle at $49 a little over a month ago. Subsequently found 2 stores last week that had recently shelved a case. One priced at $44 the other at $42. Has recieved pretty glowing reviews, which I would agree with. At $42-$45 I would definitely consider this one a must have.

1bbe3e18-9082-4319-a71c-cbe200c4e829_zpsa7daxqhd.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Not your typical bottom shelf Rebel Yell. If you prefer wheater's, as do I, this version is fantastic! Mashbill constists of 68% Corn, 20% Wheat, 12% Malted Barley. Assumed to be juice from Heaven Hill, aged 10 years, bottled at 100 proof. Thought this would be a difficult one to find since it's a limited run but I found the 1st bottle at $49 a little over a month ago. Subsequently found 2 stores last week that had recently shelved a case. One priced at $44 the other at $42. Has recieved pretty glowing reviews, which I would agree with. At $42-$45 I would definitely consider this one a must have.
    I picked up a bottle about a month ago but have not cracked the seal on it yet. I've been wondering about it so its nice to hear from someone who enjoys it. Might open it up today.

raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    Sorry, it is not less than $50 but Whistle Pig rye is my new favorite. I went to the liquor stores get some Bulliet 10 year, still awesome, and saw the Whistle Pig. Buy both if you have the chance.

Last edited:

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    The wife and I completed the ENTIRE Bourbon Trail in 4 days this summer. This included 9 facilites and Buffalo Trace (which is not on the trail). We traveled from Louisville to Lexington and had a great time as well as sampled some fantastic bourbons and ryes. Unfortunately for me, my wife's favorite was a 25 year Evan Williams that runs $500 a bottle if you can find it.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    My wife and I checked out the Evan Williams Experience in Louisville a couple years ago and picked up a bottle of the 12 year. (sadly, Not under $50, but excellent for sipping neat, even better with a few drops of water, or on the rocks).

a big thanks to everyone who has contributed here, especially melensdad for all of his reviews. I've read most of this thread since I started lurking on INGO a couple months ago, and it has been a great experience.

I think my favorite under $50 so far would be Angels Envy. (If you can find it under 50). Though I did recently grab a bottle of Eagle Rare That I am finding quite enjoyable for the $30 price tag. I typically keep some Jim Beam (white label) in the house for cooking and the occasional shot, though I will use Early Times for cooking if I can't find Beam on sale.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    A friend stopped by with a bottle of Stranahans. It was surprisingly excellent especially for $30 a bottle. To me it tasted like Blantons but cheaper. I would highly suggest Stranahans

JamesV

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    The Region
    The wife and I completed the ENTIRE Bourbon Trail in 4 days this summer. This included 9 facilites and Buffalo Trace (which is not on the trail). We traveled from Louisville to Lexington and had a great time as well as sampled some fantastic bourbons and ryes. Unfortunately for me, my wife's favorite was a 25 year Evan Williams that runs $500 a bottle if you can find it.

Wow, my gf and I were looking into doing that next year. How was it?

My wife and I checked out the Evan Williams Experience in Louisville a couple years ago and picked up a bottle of the 12 year. (sadly, Not under $50, but excellent for sipping neat, even better with a few drops of water, or on the rocks).

We'll be down in Louisville this March for the weekend and are planning on doing the Evan Williams Experience.

I'm a total newbie to bourbon and looking thru this thread is really helping me out.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    A customer of mine used to be a liquor salesman.....Back in the 1980's and 1990's he would go hang out with Booker Noe and even go fishing with him at Bernheim Forest...At that time the distillers always invited (local) liquor salesmen for BBQ's and such....He got this one in 2002 (per the date) and brought it by to give my wife and myself for Christmas....She just left for Argentina for two weeks and before she left she looked me dead in the eyes and said, "Do not crack the seal on this one until I get home...Got it? This is OUR bottle of Bourbon...":)

Wild_Turkey_Rare_Breed.jpg

It sure has a beautiful color.....

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    A friend stopped by with a bottle of Stranahans. It was surprisingly excellent especially for $30 a bottle. To me it tasted like Blantons but cheaper. I would highly suggest Stranahans

Didn'tcarforthestuffandmyspacebarisnotworkingonhere,whattheheckistheissue?

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Wow, my gf and I were looking into doing that next year. How was it?

We'll be down in Louisville this March for the weekend and are planning on doing the Evan Williams Experience.

I'm a total newbie to bourbon and looking thru this thread is really helping me out.

It was amazing. Make sure you get a passport or download the app so you can get the free t-shirt when you complete it!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

I have 2 different versions. Both in the over $50 range. Don't like either one of them. Its much more 'scotch' tasting than bourbon tasting in flavor profile.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    So. 10 yr. old Rebel Yell I am on day 2 of...it is similar to something I can't put my finger on...in the meantime, for some reason it give me the same (albeit lighter) warming sensation as a cognac.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    A customer of mine used to be a liquor salesman.....Back in the 1980's and 1990's he would go hang out with Booker Noe and even go fishing with him at Bernheim Forest...At that time the distillers always invited (local) liquor salesmen for BBQ's and such....He got this one in 2002 (per the date) and brought it by to give my wife and myself for Christmas....She just left for Argentina for two weeks and before she left she looked me dead in the eyes and said, "Do not crack the seal on this one until I get home...Got it? This is OUR bottle of Bourbon...":)

I'm fond of the Rare Breed but I had no idea its been around that long. I just "discovered" it in 2012.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne

Wild_Turkey_Rare_Breed.jpg

I'm fond of the Rare Breed but I had no idea its been around that long. I just "discovered" it in 2012.

I just picked up a bottle of the Rare Breed Barrel Proof (112.8 proof). An extremely good bourbon!

I was pleasantly surprised that it was only about $39. A good price for an excellent product.

Regards and Merry Christmas,

Doug

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I just picked up a bottle of the Rare Breed Barrel Proof (112.8 proof). An extremely good bourbon!

I was pleasantly surprised that it was only about $39. A good price for an excellent product.

Regards and Merry Christmas,

Doug

Thank you....And Merry Christmas to you as well Doug!!!!

I have a friend that works up at Huber's and he gets their Carl T Huber Bourbon half price...I had him pick me up a couple bottles for the Holiday's...If you all have not tried it it is not bad....Good flavor for being as light as it is....Plus it's "Hoosier Bourbon"....(And the folks across the river are none to happy about it...:))

img_5644.jpg

carlt2.jpg

Here is a review from a former local...

https://bourbonbill.com/2016/08/23/...ht-distillerys-carl-t-bourbon-borden-indiana/

RIP Carl T...

40535623_1421889006.jpg

636022018547652458-Huber-011.JPG

Top Bottom