• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    That's a great bourbon, and Willett is a great small distillery. Last time I visited them, they were in a huge growth phase, lot of construction.

If you haven't had it, try their Noah's Mill. It can be found for around $45, but is often more than that. One of my favorites at any price.

They also have one called Rowan's Creek. Never seen it here, but picked up a bottle in Kansas City last weekend. It's just OK.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Meijer has shuffled around their bourbon lineup. This makes me sad. :(

I do not see a spot for Blanton's (not that it was ever on the shelf. Could sometimes be found "behind the service desk").
    I do not see a spot for Bookers. I like this stuff damnit!
    I do not see a spot for another one of my favorites, Four Roses Single Barrel in the squarish bottle (they do now have a select that I've not tried yet).
    I do not see a spot for Rabbit Hole Cavehill (they have others available but not the new Heigold).

They do, however, have Kentucky Owl Confiscated. I haven't opened mine yet. I hear mixed reviews & hope it's good.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Meh, it's OK. Way overpriced, IMHO.

:): You made me open it and take a swig.

You're on target. Not much on the nose. A bit of alcohol vapor burn in the nose. Light, mild oak & cinnamon flavor, only a little burn, decent vapor effect. Mild burn down the throat, not hard to swallow, slight numing lips effect. An almost, not a bourbon but just a whiskey flavor.

At >$100/bottle, it's a pass. Anyone that wants a sip can come on over.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I bought a bottle of Legent for $49.99 while on a day trip to Bardstown today. It’s definitely a Beam product because there is an unmistakable peanut note in it. I don’t get a ton from the sherry and red wine casks, but it’s still tasty nonetheless.

I learned that some people pair bourbon and country ham. I am obsessed with country ham, so I picked up a few pounds to give it a shot.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Yeah, I hand it out pretty freely too.

While I hide my EC 18 year.;)

Well... the Owl is a bit better now imo. Still not >$100/bottle better but at least enjoyable. Maybe there's something to this "neck pour" silliness I've heard about.

Back on subject (almost) and very close to the OP's $50 bottle target is a great Basil Hayden Caribbean Reserve Rye. Too bad this is a limited release and is close to impossible to find. Scored a bottle in FL when driving my parents back to IN. Deep dark plum notes in the nose and pallet. If you find a bottle, buy it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I have a cabinet full of expensive bourbon, limited edition bottles, etc.

One thing I have reminded of during the whole Covid lockdown is that Makers Mark is still the best under $50 bourbon on the market and is the one brand by which all others should be judged for value, flavor, smoothness and drinkability.

Irukanji

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    SW Indiana
    Blanton's is about $50 when you find it worth the extra $5.

Weller's Special Reserve
    Wild Turkey 101 is so good!
    Four Roses Small batch
    Henry McKenna bottled in Bond
    Willet's (the tall skinny bottle)
    Knob Hill of many types!

Try some Scotch! Glenlivit, Glenmorangie, and other single malts are excellent to a lot of bourbon peoples pallets and come in well under the $50 mark.

Enjoy!

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I used to buy Old Rip Van Winkle Bourbon years ago, when we COULD buy it here. Id buy their rye too. I used to get it for maybe $55-60 per bottle at the liquor store on 96th Street, the one sortof out in front of Walmart. I started buying it because tastings.com rated it number one in their rankings. This was probably 15 or better years ago. Since then I saw someone who had a bottle of it and I recounted to them that I had drank several bottles years ago. They insured me that I was incorrect and that you CAN'T buy it in Indiana. Whatever? Anyway, I later decided that bourbon shouldn't be haughty toity and now I just buy Wild Turkey or Makers instead.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Anyone had EH Taylor? Worth hunting for, or no?
    Which one? EH Taylor Barrel Proof? Or Single Barrel? Or ??? They have a bunch of different and limited offerings. Not sure any are under the $50 mark, maybe the Single Barrel? For the most part I buy EH Taylor whenever I see it in stock, but the Single Barrel is probably the easiest to find and least desirable.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Which one? EH Taylor Barrel Proof? Or Single Barrel? Or ??? They have a bunch of different and limited offerings. Not sure any are under the $50 mark, maybe the Single Barrel? For the most part I buy EH Taylor whenever I see it in stock, but the Single Barrel is probably the easiest to find and least desirable.
    You mean small batch right?
    The single barrel is not easy to get. At least not here.
    Secondary on single barrel is $100 to 150.

I love EHT. If you can ever find the unicorn, EHT barrel proof, buy it. Well worth it. Maybe not at secondary though which is now up to 300 to 350 for it.

The small batch retails for $48 I think. It taste better than the $60 single barrel and they are the same proof.
    Barrel proof is 127 to 130 I think. The one I have is 127. Yummy.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    You should come over and try some. I have single barrel, small batch, and barrel proof eht.

If you find the 4 grain or amaranth of the gods or any other EHT's buy them too! The rye is good too.

Well worth it imo

Taylor and Weller are the only hard-to-find bottles on my list (besides Pappy). I may have a source for some samples of a couple Weller iterations soon.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom