Best deer hunting areas in Brown County, IN.?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Ha. Nobody who knows is gonna say anything.

There's only two types of hunting areas in southern Indiana: Private property, and places with no deer.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Where are the best hunting areas in Brown County, IN.?
    Best thing to do is go ask farmers if you can hunt on their property. Some will say no, some will say yes and some will say yes for a fee.

The biggest things you need to convey to them is you'll not shoot up the out building, house, equipment.
    You'll not leave trash, feces, or tear up the place if you hunt it.
    Don't bring buddies to hunt if you are the one approved.
    You are responsible for your actions, they are the ones that pay for irresponsible actions. So you might get turned down more often then you will hear a yes.
    It takes gas, and leg work. Along with being a decent mannered person.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Find somewhere else. There are no deer here.
    Purple? Lol

Very little private ground that isn’t already hunted. Plenty of state and federal land. Most is over hunted for deer, especially firearms season.
    Big deer are few and far between.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Nipprdog, don’t see how you could say that. He posted 13 times in a decade.

witch brings up another thought, how did he remember his password? I can’t remember mine from one day to the next.

Sorry for off topic.

analogwars

ANALOGWARS
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    somewhere in time
    Best thing to do is go ask farmers if you can hunt on their property. Some will say no, some will say yes and some will say yes for a fee.

The biggest things you need to convey to them is you'll not shoot up the out building, house, equipment.
    You'll not leave trash, feces, or tear up the place if you hunt it.
    Don't bring buddies to hunt if you are the one approved.
    You are responsible for your actions, they are the ones that pay for irresponsible actions. So you might get turned down more often then you will hear a yes.
    It takes gas, and leg work. Along with being a decent mannered person.
    Yes, always, I have a few good friends with farms as well that allow hunting

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    There are no deer in Brown County. Now go away and tell all your hunter friends not to waste their time hunting in BC. On a more serious note, it is said that deer hunting in BC has, for whatever reason, become less fruitful. Guys all have their theories as to why, but the common talk is that it isn't the deer shangri-la that it once was.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Loss of habitat, a lot of the big properties have been subdivided and sold off. More houses and people. Also, nobody wants to give permission for someone they don't know to unit their property. I'm sure there are other reasons but these seem to be what I always come back to.

We used to have a lot of little deer. Finding big bucks took a lot of walking. I have a nephew that still kills nice bucks on public land. But he has to work hard for them.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Yeah, as one who hasn't hunted, I wonder sometimes when I hear talk of poor deer hunting if they mean lack of deer, lack of trophy deer or just bad deer to clean, eat, etc. I've been intimately familiar with BC since 1979. I do see less deer now than in years past. Unscientific, but noticeable enough that I can believe hunters when they say BC deer hunting isn't as good. I recently got turned-around (aka lost) on the Bottom Road area, Monroe/Morgan county area at about midnight. Flat farmland mostly. I couldn't believe the number of deer spotted. They seemed to be everywhere. Big, small, antlers, no antlers. The number of deer seemed profound.

Top Bottom