• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbko4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Danville
    I am in the market for my first 1911 and am wondering that the opinions are on the "best" entry level 1911 for the money. I would rather get something with less bells and whistles (to keep the initial point lower), but still a very solid piece that I can upgrade and customize over time. Anything I should positively bypass? I want to get a Springfield 1911 Mil-spec parkerized. I would like to keep with full-size .45ACP also, (got big 'ol banana hands).

HollidaySlim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I have a Range Officer Springfield and love it, I am currently looking for another right now and am hoping to find a TRP or Trophy Match to grow my Springfield collection.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I bought an American Classic II a couple 2 or 3 years ago for under 400.00. Very solid and reliable gun for the price.

Still have it and love taking it to the range.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I bought an American Classic II a couple 2 or 3 years ago for under 400.00. Very solid and reliable gun for the price.

Still have it and love taking it to the range.

I had 2, traded one. Shouldn't have, but I did.

The one we kept I paid well under what they are selling now for. The ACII Hard Chrome was listed at $679. It's a very tight gun, and fit and finish is on par with much more expensive guns. It's made in the Philippines BUT their presses and schematics are based off the old GI 1911's we left there. They are g2g

Lep36

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    North side
    Saw a Regent the other day, cheap. Didn't buy it cause I had never heard of it before. Came home and researched it, turns out I should have snatched it up... went back and it was gone.

Taurus PT1911s gets a lot of hate but, after break in, I have never had an issue...

cbko4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Danville
    Anyone have first hand experience with RIA warranty? What does it cover, customer service in general? Also does it only apply to first owner, or follow if purchased used?

00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville
    Taurus PT1911s gets a lot of hate but, after break in, I have never had an issue...

My vote for a starter/value priced 1911 is the PT1911. I have not had any FTF or FTE with this one yet, 300 rds. Accuracy is good, but the trigger on it is amazingly nice, no creep and very slight over travel on mine.

I have had a Rock Island and can not speak as highly about it. That does not mean that RI 1911 is bad, but mine was not as good as the PT 1911.

downey151

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Though I have yet to fire one, I have heard nothing but great things from friends with the base model Remington R-1. Rock Islands are great for the price, but for a couple hundred more bucks, you get an American-made gun and certainly one with noticeably better craftsmanship.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I own 1911s from Kimber, Sig, Springfield, Colt and Rock Island. The RIA 1911s stand very well in the company of the others. They are a great pistol and have proven to be every bit as reliable, and even more in some cases, than the others in the collection. That's where I'd put my vote for an entry level 1911.

HollidaySlim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I own 1911s from Kimber, Sig, Springfield, Colt and Rock Island. The RIA 1911s stand very well in the company of the others.

If you had to discount one of the manufacturers in terms of fit and finish, which would it be? I ask not to start a "my 1911 is better than yours" fight but to get input on someone who owns a diverse collection.

I love my 1911 and would like to collect more.....thus the question.

This is not an entry level 1911 question BTW.

Top Bottom