• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Usually is not an issue. Yes, there are several springs available but if you hold on the gun and run it (not run away from it) they will eat most anything you feed them.

Guys who run 18lb recoil springs have trouble shooting soft bullseye loads sometimes. The recoil spring is too stiff for the low recoil impulse.

45acp223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    SE IN.
    USA - Remington R1 Basic Model
    Old Colt Series 70's are good platforms to build off of.
    If building from scratch: I own, and like Caspian Arms frame and slides

Imports - Rock Island or American Tactial Imports (ATI), I've handled a few
    ATI's and have been really impressed with the build quality, trigger pull, and slide smoothness.

Let us know what you end up getting!

Springs and loads I like to use:
    Hardball: 16-18 lbs. 230gr. FMJ, 5grs. Bulleye Powder
    Bullseye 10-12 lbs. for 185 gr. Star Match SWC, 3.4-3.6grs. Bullsey3 Powder with Red Dot, 3.7-3.9 with bomar rib iron sights.

Last edited:

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Metro Arms

I shot a friends Metro Arms, and thought it was fantastic. All who shot it that day, said it was superior to the Remington we were shooting.

cbko4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Danville
    I'll keep this updated, all very valuable information and I appreciate all the input. Think I will save up around $150-$200 more and make a purchase.

cbko4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Danville
    I would have to get a new slide if I got a Taurus, for some reason that etching just is extremely unappealing to me.

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    There has been some talk of colt, kimber and some higher end springfields and was wondering why no one has brought up s&w. Although the price of these guns would probably knock them out of entery level.I always thought s&w produced a fine gun.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    There has been some talk of colt, kimber and some higher end springfields and was wondering why no one has brought up s&w. Although the price of these guns would probably knock them out of entery level.I always thought s&w produced a fine gun.

S&W makes some great 1911's. I don't know why they aren't more popular. :dunno:

cbko4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Danville
    Anyone know if cash talks or if they are firm on their pricing? Might have to take a road trip up in the morning lol :)

HollidaySlim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I think they are pretty firm as they wouldn't budge on the pricing on the Kimber I bought, although it was the best price I had seen it.

That was my first ever purchase from them and the first time in the shop so..:twocents:

BudS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Jeffersonville, IN
    I own 1911s from Kimber, Sig, Springfield, Colt and Rock Island. The RIA 1911s stand very well in the company of the others. They are a great pistol and have proven to be every bit as reliable, and even more in some cases, than the others in the collection. That's where I'd put my vote for an entry level 1911.

I would have to agree! I own a CS- Tactical and right out of the box I was surprised at the reliability of it. I have since done a trigger job, throat and polish, and it feels and shoots as sweet as my Colts or Kimber.

For an entry into the 1911's, I would start with a full sized Gov Model, and then if you want something a little more concealable, go for the 3.5" barrel models. But, I think you would be very happy with the RI. At least it will get used, not become a High Priced Safe Queen!

cbko4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Danville
    I'm not to the point of collecting yet where I would do safe queens, anything I purchase I am willing to get dirty and marred.

cbko4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Danville
    Well after a great trip to the 1500 I have acquired my first 1911 for the collection.....

Springfield Armory 1911 .45ACP Range Officer :rockwoot:

20130119133518hdr.jpg

Glad that I waited a little bit instead of grabbing one of the few I knew of around the city, saved a nice chunk of change. Just need to pick up some Wilson mags, and a ton of .45ACP for the spring. Probably do a few small tweaks for customization but for the majority I'm happy with it right out of the box.

Thank you everyone for the tips and suggestions, greatly appreciated.

cbko4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Danville
    100 off the Indiana Gun Club price, no negotiation. He only had two left, and was the only vendor I saw with them in stock, and gave me the total NIB that hadn't be handled on the table so I left well enough alone lol.

Top Bottom