• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dockem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    W Indyanner
    I think all gas grill manufacturers are in a conspiracy to build a gas grill that lasts a few years then requires a replacement or at best a bunch of parts. We have owned Ducane and Webers and the low end Charbroils. While the high end grills do last longer I am not sure the extra investment is worth it. Having said that. We currently have a Charbroil infra red grill. I really like it. We have had it for a year and never had a flame up. I think it was $299 on sale at Lowes last year.

+1
    Just put $90 worth of parts in mine, 4 years old. I've had some that needed parts after 2 years. Mainly rust catches up with them. I have a good cover, but it stays out in the elements year round.

woodwalker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Brownstown
    I would go with a Holland grill. Doesn't flare up. Just put meat on and set a timer when to turn. Easiest grill I've ever used and I was a die hard charcoal guy. Anything you put in an oven you can cook on it. I've made pizza, biscuits, eggs and bacon etc... All taste delicious .

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Love the charbroil infra red.. Mixed reviews from friends.. But they didn't take care of it. Cooks even.. Less gas and a smaller it doesn't take up as much space. Cooks quicker no flare ups at all . Skeptical at first but love mine. I will buy another.

I have one of these. Love it. Other way to go is a webber. Depends on your budget.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I bought a charbroil ? at Lowes back around '05ish for 80 bucks (down from over $400 - scratch and majorly dented). Has all the burners and stuff on the side but for the price I couldn't turn it down. My dad still has it and uses it with no issues.

I'd try the brand again if I had to.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    We had three Weber gas grills and one Weber charcoal grill over the years then bought a Lowe's house brand gas grill and were quite disappointed with the Lowe's. We went back to a Weber Spirit E320 with its three controls. It heats up fast and is controlable with three heat zones.

Bigdog357

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Indiana
    I had a bunch of different brands of gas grills, the one I have had for the past seven years is the Weber Q. I love this grill it has a heavy cast iron grate, No flare ups and even heat. Comes in a small and large version, I have the small one and I can fit six large steaks or eight med steaks. I cooked four huge Rib eyes on it today for Easter dinner, and they were delicious.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I love my Weber Genesis. I'm not sure if mine will be as long-lived as some, it sits under our porch uncovered all year. I grill year 'round. I used to cover it, but then we got sneaky puppies that tear up such things outdoors the minute our backs are turned. I think they might be better now, but haven't tried it again yet...

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I've had one for five years that has been great, but I genuinely didn't know what brand it is. Turns out it's a Weber Genesis. The push button ignitor went out after about a year, but I would rather use a lighter than buy more of those cheap crappy replacements.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I've owned/used Holland, Weber, and cheapos, I haven't found the perfect grill yet. Below are my pluses & minuses of the Holland & Weber

Holland grills
    Plus: Nearly impossible to burn food, in my entire lifetime I've only seen 1 flare-up, Stainless models last well (~20 years and going on the one I've used), parts are available
    Minus: only 1 heat level, hot spots around the edge of the drip tray (must rotate food for even cooking if it's located near the edge), cannot do anything fancy (sear, low & slow etc)

Weber grills
    Plus: last forever (mine is 3rd-hand, at least 15 years old), parts are available, multiple burners & multiple heat levels
    Minus: can flare-up pretty bad unless you clean the flavor-bars and drip-pan religiously (major PITA), cast aluminum housing is susceptible to corrosion (especially where flavor-bars rest due to dissimilar metals), Due to connected-tube style burner my front & back burner are hard to control independently without getting hot spots at either end of the burner

Caveat: my Weber grill is 15+ years old, they may have improved them significantly but I have not been, and I still am NOT impressed with the Weber. Maybe I'm too demanding but I think there has to be a better grill out there...

Things I would like to see in a grill:
    #1 more burners, shorter burner tubes (this reduces gas-pressure differences that cause hot spots at the end of the burner closer to the valve)
    #2 As a carry-on of number 1, the burner tubes would be front-to-back instead of right-to-left (this will allow one side to be hot-zone and other side to be warm-zone)
    #3 Long-life & parts available
    #4 nice-to-have: sear burner for that hot, fast sear right before the steak comes of the grill
    #5 well constructed, preferably made in USA (or other country known for good design/construction)

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Love the charbroil infra red.. Mixed reviews from friends.. But they didn't take care of it. Cooks even.. Less gas and a smaller it doesn't take up as much space. Cooks quicker no flare ups at all . Skeptical at first but love mine. I will buy another.

Love my new Charbroil infared, cooks fast, meat stays juicy, and tender, and best of all no flair ups, throw your meat on, walk away, flip once, and you're done.

I got the small two burner version for $197 at lowes, I'll never buy another non-IR grill again.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    I've owned/used Holland, Weber, and cheapos, I haven't found the perfect grill yet. Below are my pluses & minuses of the Holland & Weber

Holland grills
    Plus: Nearly impossible to burn food, in my entire lifetime I've only seen 1 flare-up, Stainless models last well (~20 years and going on the one I've used), parts are available
    Minus: only 1 heat level, hot spots around the edge of the drip tray (must rotate food for even cooking if it's located near the edge), cannot do anything fancy (sear, low & slow etc)

Weber grills
    Plus: last forever (mine is 3rd-hand, at least 15 years old), parts are available, multiple burners & multiple heat levels
    Minus: can flare-up pretty bad unless you clean the flavor-bars and drip-pan religiously (major PITA), cast aluminum housing is susceptible to corrosion (especially where flavor-bars rest due to dissimilar metals), Due to connected-tube style burner my front & back burner are hard to control independently without getting hot spots at either end of the burner

Caveat: my Weber grill is 15+ years old, they may have improved them significantly but I have not been, and I still am NOT impressed with the Weber. Maybe I'm too demanding but I think there has to be a better grill out there...

#1 more burners, shorter burner tubes (this reduces gas-pressure differences that cause hot spots at the end of the burner closer to the valve)
    #2 As a carry-on of number 1, the burner tubes would be front-to-back instead of right-to-left (this will allow one side to be hot-zone and other side to be warm-zone)
    #4 nice-to-have: sear burner for that hot, fast sear right before the steak comes of the grill
    #5 well constructed, preferably made in USA (or other country known for good design/construction)

The current Weber Genesis E-330/EP-330/S-330 hits all of your points.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Love my new Charbroil infared, cooks fast, meat stays juicy, and tender, and best of all no flair ups, throw your meat on, walk away, flip once, and you're done.

I got the small two burner version for $197 at lowes, I'll never buy another non-IR grill again.

"Infrared" it is not. A true IR grill is significantly more than $197.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    The current Weber Genesis E-330/EP-330/S-330 hits all of your points.

Have they improved the design of the flavor bars and drip tray to reduce flare-ups? As it stands, even with brand new flavor bars installed I absolutely cannot leave the grill unattended with anything remotely fatty (pork, hamburgers, steaks, etc) unless I did a 100% top-to-bottom clean-out prior to lighting.

Don't get me wrong, my Weber grill is a nice grill for what I paid ($75 on craigslist) but I would NEVER buy one new for the flare-up issue.

fst aslp

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Zionsville, IN

Holland grills

Weber grills

Check out Titan Grills from Family Leisure. I have one now and it checks all of the boxes. Not cheap, but again, checks all the boxes.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    "Infrared" it is not. A true IR grill is significantly more than $197.

I know the charbroil ir's, are only a gas burner, under a stainless plate filled with holes, not a true IR emitter, but damn it works well. I don't have any illusions of the grill lasting 10 or 15 years, but for $200 I'll enjoy it while I can.

Top Bottom