• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    This whole question is like saying which tool would you use to tighten a nut? but you can only pick between a blade of grass and a mud pie. The 2 rifles you eliminated are the 2 main choices. and they are the main choices because thats what they were built for. both in caliber and functionality. Now each has their drawbacks but thats why you can own both.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    Well, with no choice of AR or AK, I would go with:

#1: SKS - no mags needed, plenty of stopping power for larger game. The drawback is that it would not be good for small game.

#2: 12 Guage shotgun of your choice - Most common shotgun caliber, with a slug barrel included, you could take any game you wanted. Small game with smaller shot, and larger stuff with slugs. Also good for self defense with #4 or larger buckshot.

#3: 22 Magnum: A lighter compromise for the two listed above. Good game taking ability, even deer with a headshot. A large step up from .22 LR. Would be a poor choice for self defense, but would certainly beat a sharp pointy stick.

nfranke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Westport
    i dont know if any one thought of this but what about the fn fs2000, compact uses the 7.62 great for defense and large game not so much for small game

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    i dont know if any one thought of this but what about the fn fs2000, compact uses the 7.62 great for defense and large game not so much for small game

FS2000 uses 5.56, not 7.62. Also, they run you about $1700 at this point.

I have one. While I love how compact it is, it's got a some annoyances. One is that you are limited on magazine choice. It works great with GI Aluminum mags, but the mag well is so tight and deep that you can't use most of the newer polymer mags. Also, you can't use 20 round mags either (too deep).

The trigger also leaves a lot to be desired. It's got a long pull and is a bit gritty and mushy at the same time (well mine is). Not horrendous, just not nice and crisp. Finally, while I've found it to be generally very reliable, if it does misfeed (probably mostly a mag issue, since I'm stuck with ancient GI mags), there is no real easy way to get at the chamber. It's deep in the guts of the gun and is a pain to deal with. You can flip up a panel near the rear site and see into the chamber (which is good to check if it is loaded, but you can't really get at anything in there). Now that being said, most of the time when I've had issues, pulling the mag out and racking the slide clears it.

Also, it might be just mine, but I've noticed that if I load my mags all the way to 30 rounds, it often fails to strip a round off the mag and into the chamber. But if I load down to 28, it works perfectly. Probably more mag issues. I wish I could use my PMAGs in it.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    With a budget of $1000, I would probably have to split for two guns:

- a small, light .22 for hunting like the Henry Mini Bolt Youth (only 3.25lbs) or even a lightweight 10/22 (most seem run about 4.5lbs or more)

- a magazine-fed 300yd rifle for defensive use and larger game at medium range like a Mini-14, Mini-30, SKS, or similar

If you can keep the weight down, I would think a two-rifle configuration would add little drag over trying to use the same rifle and ammo for everything.

I would even consider dropping the .22 rifle for a hunting pistol like the Ruger Mark III, a S&W 22a, or similar pistol

nfranke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Westport
    i dont know why i had 7.62 stuck in my head but yeah 5.56 is the correct round, i didnt even really think of price but definetly out at 1700, my next choice would be a pump or lever action rifle

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Ok guys, what do you think is the best Indiana specific SHTF rifle?

Edit: upped the budget :D
    -Because of forests and hills, 300 yards is probably the max distance you'll be shooting.
    -Ammo must be common.
    -Parts must be somewhat easy to find.
    -Reliability is a huge plus (must be easy to care for as well).
    -Optics are allowed, but not nessecary.
    -You have only $1000
    -Magazines (if used) must be relatively cheap.
    -Primarily used for taking game but can be used for self-defense in a pinch.

Oh yeah, NO AKs or AR-15s!

What would you guys, under these guidelines, consider the best SHTF rifle for us Indiana residents?

P.S. yeah SHTF weapon discussions have been beaten to death on the Internet. I've not however seen one with these stipulations. Let's see what you guys think.

I'll take a good rod and reel.

In a pinch for defense I'll hang a twinkie on it.

parkerj112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Most bash a 22lr for SD but I think in a end of the world situation if you are taking rounds steady you might be much less interested in keeping an attack going. 22lr = lots of ammo carried easily. But in an all out 300yd fight with multiple "bad guys" I agree that the 22lr would be outgunned.

My pick = Rem 700 308 I would be working the 300yds to my biggest advantage, if I used a round it would be for a kill. As for the game issue there are lots of ways to eat off the land without shooting.:twocents:

Parker

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    For me I think complete silence would be the best solution to a SHTF scenario in this state, so for me I think the round would have to be subsonic.

Ideally a savage in .223 with a .300 blackout barrel and a silencer would be great... but ammo would be a pain in the neck to find -- you'd have to reload. A 9mm carbine would be ok... but if I'm gonna go with that, I might as well just take a 10/22 considering the budget.

I got about $500 (including the rifle itself) pumped into my 10/22. Throw in a kestrel and $200 tax stamp and I'm right around $1000. Throw in 5 boxes of bulk ammo and I should be all set to enjoy a nice, silent life in the woods.

As far as self defense goes... its all about getting the jump on someone. If you get caught not paying attention its not going to matter what rifle you have. Especially if you have eliminated the AR and AK platforms.

Provided I can see or hear you before you get to 100yds, then a silenced 10/22 with a couple of bx-mags is going to be defense enough.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    My first choice would have to be an SKS, but if not that maybe a lever gun in .17hmr it would be light wiegght so you could carry a bunch of ammo with you and that round is pretty devistating for as small as it is.

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    A lever gun in .357 would be sweet with a matching side arm and if you go that route you may have enough money left over for some boots with spurs for getting up close and personal:):

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I also vote for the 30-30 lever gun....the pistol round version doesnt; fit the 300 range criteria very well. for $1,000 you could get a good lever gun and a solid 12ga shot gun....:):

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I know you said rifle but I dont know if anyone has thought about this yet.

JUST GET A CROSSBOW

less than 1k and has resusable ammo and with practice is useful for SD, hunting deer and can take shots out to a good distance. Plus its also completely silent.

Bows and arrows allowed us to survive long enought for firearms which were created becuase of body armor advances. Now I dont think anyone will be wearing body armor in a shtf.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    When you guys talk about parts being readily available, do you mean at a gunsmith's shop or readily available for the owner to find and make his own repairs? If that is the case, doesn't that just about eliminate everything but ARs, SKSs and AKs? The other military type weapons, especially the foreign made ones would seem to be problems when it came to parts unless one kept his own inventory of those parts most likely to fail with heavy firing.

Top Bottom