• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Rember Mil spec means procured and chosen by the us millitary, not knocking them but I doubt even the best trained marine could break a Busse ffbm or a scrapper 6

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    "Rember Mil spec means cheapest they can get away with chosen by the us millitary, not knocking them but I doubt even the best trained marine could break a Busse ffbm or a scrapper 6"

There's the truth! Give me anything Busse over anything Ka-bar any day of the week!

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    the classic marine k-bar will do anything you need, I've cut the lock out of 2" hardwood door without damage, these new blades are nice but are they battle proven

i will be the voice of discent......... the kabar will NOT do anything you need.

you will find MILLIONS of former .mil folks (millions of whic where .mil before there WAS a DOT!!) who SWEAR by the kabar. most of which never used one. call this one "waxing nostalgic".

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I got my RAT RC-4 at work today....I took it over to my ex-marine buddy that swears by his Ka Bar and says It was a waste to spend the extra on the RC-4.....After holding the Rat he said "that does feel good, that's a good blade right there"

:D

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    the classic marine k-bar will do anything you need, I've cut the lock out of 2" hardwood door without damage, these new blades are nice but are they battle proven
    I broke 3 ka bars as a Marine & Army S.E.R.E. instructor....just sayin'

Bob:popcorn:

PS I carried a Busse to Iraq 2x soooo

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I got my RAT RC-4 at work today....I took it over to my ex-marine buddy that swears by his Ka Bar and says It was a waste to spend the extra on the RC-4.....After holding the Rat he said "that does feel good, that's a good blade right there"

:D

Glad to head that, mine should arrive with an Izula sometime either today or tomorrow. I've yet to see the unimpressed person after showing them my RC-6.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN

Ive got a kabar sitting in my garage rite now...in 2 peices:):
    they are ok knives as I mine served me many years but they do have there limits and aparently my kabars limit was hard compacted soil:rolleyes:

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Ive got a kabar sitting in my garage rite now...in 2 peices:):
    they are ok knives as I mine served me many years but they do have there limits and aparently my kabars limit was hard compacted soil:rolleyes:

Here's the Ka-Bar Warranty details from their website:

Warranty and Return Procedures Limited Lifetime Warranty If at any time your knife fails to perform due to manufacturer’s defect,
    we will replace the product with the same model or the most similar
    model to it from our current product line.

LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY
    KA-BAR Knives, Inc. (the “Company”) warrants, to the original purchaser of the knife
    only, that this knife will be free from defects in material and craftsmanship under normal
    use and maintenance for the lifetime of the original purchaser. This Limited Warranty
    does not apply to any failure of, defect in, or damage to the knife caused by normal wear
    and tear or by improper use, including throwing the knife, using the blades as a can
    opener, chisel, pry bar, screwdriver, digging tool, or for any heavy work for which the
    knife was not designed.
    If the knife fails to satisfy this Limited Warranty, the Company will repair or replace the
    knife or substitute a knife of comparable value, at the Company’s option, and such repair,
    replacement or substitution shall constitute the sole remedy for any failure of the knife to
    satisfy this Limited Warranty or any implied warranty (ies) of the Company. In order to
    have a Limited Warranty claim evaluated by the Company, you must return the knife, at
    your own expense and risk, to KA-BAR Knives, Inc., at 1125 East State Street, Olean,
    NY 14760, attention Customer Service Department. Please include with the returned
    knife a brief written description of any claimed defect(s) in or failure(s) of the knife. Any
    returned knife determined by the Company to not be eligible for repair, replacement or
    substitution under the terms of the Limited Warranty will be returned to the Owner.
    THE COMPANY MAKES NO EXPRESS WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION
    WHATSOEVER OF OR WITH RESPECT TO THE KNIFE OTHER THAN THE
    FOREGOING LIMITED WARRANTY, AND ALL SUCH OTHER EXPRESS
    WARRANTIES ARE HEREBY EXPRESSLY EXCLUDED. ANY IMPLIED
    WARRANTIES OF THE COMPANY, INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF
    MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS, ARE LIMITED IN DURATION TO THE
    DURATION OF THIS LIMITED WARRANTY. THE COMPANY WILL NOT BE
    LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES,
    AND ALL SUCH DAMAGES ARE EXPRESSLY EXCLUDED.
    Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, or exclusion
    or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitations or
    exclusion may not apply to you.
    This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which
    vary from state to state.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Looks like you're screwed!

"This Limited Warranty
    does not apply to any failure of, defect in, or damage to the knife caused by normal wear
    and tear or by improper use, including throwing the knife, using the blades as a can
    opener, chisel, pry bar, screwdriver, digging tool, or for any heavy work for which the
    knife was not designed."

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN

"This Limited Warranty
    knife was not designed."

yeah I figured as much...no big deal really as I have had it for several years and figure the abuse I gave it I got more than my $70 worth.

I replaced it this weekend with a cheap gerber knife..its a gerber profile,which I wont use to dig with :): I bought it more for a light use gutting/skinning knife which I think it will work well for that..it fits my hand very well.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN

"This Limited Warranty
    knife was not designed."

so.... i wonder how many military knives have VOIDED WARRENTIES!!! :popcorn:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

I hear ya, the RATs are designed with you guys in mind, most recently the RC-5 SERE, which is the next on my list.

RAT Cutlery Co. RC-5 SERE

I like the fact that they will replace it... for ANY reason and are US made.

Warranty Info

No Questions Asked Warranty. If you screw it up, break it, or cut it in two with a cutting torch, send it back and we'll replace it. Warranty is transferable. In other words, we warranty the knife no matter how many times it's been traded, sold or given away. We don't ask for a sales receipt, date of purchase or where you bought the knife - No fine print and no hassles.

C.H.U.D.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Elkhart
    holy **** storm I only mentioned the K-Bar as a good cheap knive relative low price and good over all service never said it was the best thing in the world , by the way I got mine almost thirty years ago and put it though hell in various places include honduras and it performed great , maybe Ijust got agood one, Now as far as mil spec, It is a standard that is set before any contracts are given, and Ive notce that most of the comic book rambo out there put a lot of stock in it, or else why do the mil spec AR parts demand a premium, why is ir that most of the good stuff out there has a military spec code on the label I dont think they do that to show how cheap they are, the military set a standard and then gives contracts to the company that will meet that standard at the best price
    Why is it that every time somebody has a opion that might not agree with some of you that its either assulted as foolish ot taken as a attack, I am veteran, I seen the **** , Im not a range rambo that never been out of the country. This is why i dont do much on these pages, because most of yahoos responding dont give you a counter arguement but a mines bigger than yours, testostrone fest

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    holy **** storm I only mentioned the K-Bar as a good cheap knive relative low price and good over all service never said it was the best thing in the world , by the way I got mine almost thirty years ago and put it though hell in various places include honduras and it performed great , maybe Ijust got agood one, Now as far as mil spec, It is a standard that is set before any contracts are given, and Ive notce that most of the comic book rambo out there put a lot of stock in it, or else why do the mil spec AR parts demand a premium, why is ir that most of the good stuff out there has a military spec code on the label I dont think they do that to show how cheap they are, the military set a standard and then gives contracts to the company that will meet that standard at the best price
    Why is it that every time somebody has a opion that might not agree with some of you that its either assulted as foolish ot taken as a attack, I am veteran, I seen the **** , Im not a range rambo that never been out of the country. This is why i dont do much on these pages, because most of yahoos responding dont give you a counter arguement but a mines bigger than yours, testostrone fest
    Relax and take a breath. I don't see examples of any of this when I re-read the posts. I see valid comments about knives that others have experience with. I'm not saying your knife hasn't served you well but I am stating my knives have had problems. I'm actually glad your knife served you well during your military career otherwise you might have had big problems that would have prevented you from being here to contribute.
    As I've said before, I had a blade fail me once and vowed that I would continue to look for the best tool I could get from then on. So far that is Busse. It has nothing to do with testosterone or emotional attachment to any blade. If another tool comes out, better than Busse, I may get it if I can but I won't p & m if somebody has different experiences with it than I do.
    I could say more but I won't out of respect to this forum.

Bob

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    chill_pill.jpg

the OP asked for the BEST knife under $100, that's why people gave feedback on the suggested k-bar.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    C.H.U.D. - I didn't mean any disrespect, we're all entitled to our own opinions. I am also glad that you have a quality, reasonably priced knife that has served you well.

flatlander, I appreciate your diplomatic approach and candor.

Everyone else, let's keep the thread on the right track, we're all family here. :ingo:

Top Bottom