• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I appreciate all of the replies, but yours was especially informative. I have settled on a Marlin 336 as my dream weapon. It's chambered in .30-30, and I'm sure I could find a die that would be compatible with my father's reloading equipment. If I "pull the trigger" on buying one, I will share glorious photos of my purchase in this thread.

God bless!
    The 336 is a tank of a gun and well designed. The only thing I have to consistently repair for people is the firing pin spring. It is designed to keep the firing pin out of alignment until locked in battery and prevent any 'out of battery discharges'. It serves this function well but are prone to failure. I always keep extras around, it is that kind of recurring issue but easily remedied.

Good luck with your dream, you will have a blast.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    If you're in the Avon area Copperhead ridge has several to choose from. A few Henrys, a few Rossi. Some mare's legs that would be fun. Expect to spend close to $1,000 right now.

I'd agree with the above 357/38 is probably what you're looking for.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    For the youngsters out there, back in the 70's the lever action was considered a 'poor mans rifle'. A Winchester 94 could be had for less than $80 and the Marlin 336 was in the low $90's.

Any of the bolt action rifles were half again or twice as much for the basics and the sky was the limit on anything special.

My brother still has the 336 he bought out of high school that, with tax, came to $100 and change. He later bought a 94 from the tool truck man because the guy was going through a divorce, once again for $100. He no longer has the Winnie because a few years ago he traded it straight up for a S&W 629.

The prices thrown around today all seem to have an extra digit from what we grew up with like a Montgomery Wards with literally barrels of SKS and AK's for $69 and $79 respectively and the threw in a case of ammo. SMLE's were $40. Mosins were hard to give away. I bought 2 Polish M44's still in cosmoline for $60 total.

I feel sorry for the generation that is coming up and the costs you will have to pay for all things in your lives. Good luck to ya...

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    For the youngsters out there, back in the 70's the lever action was considered a 'poor mans rifle'. A Winchester 94 could be had for less than $80 and the Marlin 336 was in the low $90's.

Any of the bolt action rifles were half again or twice as much for the basics and the sky was the limit on anything special.

My brother still has the 336 he bought out of high school that, with tax, came to $100 and change. He later bought a 94 from the tool truck man because the guy was going through a divorce, once again for $100. He no longer has the Winnie because a few years ago he traded it straight up for a S&W 629.

The prices thrown around today all seem to have an extra digit from what we grew up with like a Montgomery Wards with literally barrels of SKS and AK's for $69 and $79 respectively and the threw in a case of ammo. SMLE's were $40. Mosins were hard to give away. I bought 2 Polish M44's still in cosmoline for $60 total.

I feel sorry for the generation that is coming up and the costs you will have to pay for all things in your lives. Good luck to ya...

Yeah tell me about it, the same rifle I bought in 2016 is now $600+ more expensive and I am getting ready to drop 300+k for a first house.

Sorry for the derailment , I would say new production Ruger/Marlin chambered in .375 / 38spl is the ticket. You have a wide range of ballistic options with those calibers and they are all very easy to reload being straight walked pistol cartridges.

Sub sonic 38 for fun and quite plinking and hot rodded 158gr 357mag for whitetail. Basically the ultimate "traditional" Hoosier do all rifle IMHO.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Right now on GB there is a Winchester 94 trails end in .44mag with octagon barrel. I have one just like it except in 45LC. They are just north of 1K though. But fun to shoot.

drm-hp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    Personally I am a fan of three lever actioned rifles.
    My personal favorites are:
    1st = 1886 Winchester in 40-65 and/or 40-82.
    Less costly version, 45/70.
    2nd = 1899 Savage in 303 Savage.
    Less costly version, 300 Savage.
    3rd = 1894 Winchester in 32-40.
    Less costly version, 30 WCF (30-30).
    As much as these are my favorites the reverse order is probably the most cost-effective for purchase.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    O.k. I have an 1894 and an 1895, but I've never heard of the 1893.
    What was that chambered for?
    The 1893 is an older offering, chambered in 32-40 and 38-55 at first, the rifle was sort of a bridge between BP and smokeless. Some of the rifles are so marked on the barrel as "smokeless steel" or "black powder. It picks up 30-30, 25-36, and 32 WS as we move into the smokeless era deeper and BP fades away. Accurate rifles even today, particularly in 32-40. RCBS makes a wonderful 170 grain GC mold that just seems tailor made for this cartridge.

It shares some parts commonality with the modern 336.

The two rifles on the left are 1893s with a Winchester 1894 from the same era. One is a takedown that I have a nice Heiser scabbard for, a popular item back around the turn of the last century, both chambered in 32-40. marlwin.jpg casetk.jpg

Last edited:

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Hey ya'll,

I'm new here and have developed an interest in finding a good lever action rifle. The purpose would be for plinking, but I would also like it to be chambered in something powerful in case I need to ward off zombies with it. I definitely can't afford to shoot anything that would be 10$ a round, but I understand there is are some powerful rounds that won't break the bank too much. I would love to hear your opinions and bonus points if it comes with mounting rails for optics/flashlights.

Did you mention a budget? This one seems to have all the doodads on it, if you have enough lettuce!

https://www.indianagunowners.com/th...streamlight-protac-2-wml.538796/#post-9644355

Personally, I like a little simpler approach:

Cropped IMG_2316.jpg

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I picked up a rusty Sears Ted Williams Model 100 yesterday. It is a Winchester 94 made for Sears.

This one has been neglected but not abused. Has some pitting under the wood line but cleaned up pretty well. The furniture is better than I see on the real Winnies. I will have a little over $300 in it when done, but these days that is a cheap 30-30.

I would still rather have a 336...

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'd be really interested in hearing some people's experience with the browning lever action rifles.

They've always kind of been a curiosity to me and I'm surprised I almost never see them brought up in the conversation of lever guns.

Top Bottom