• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    .300 ideally, but finding a high grade or unique gun (or screaming deal) will always trump desired round. I’m no collector and usually more practical, but in this case I’m waiting for a 1899 with all the fixins like brass counter, in user-shape. I have found very good condition examples but can’t afford the premium for those, especially with the expectations of using it afield often once I have it. But I’m also not looking very hard, just dreaming.
    Yeah, those high grade and collector's pieces are going to cost no matter the chambering. I was referring to shooter grade examples, which can be found for much more reasonable prices.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    The only Savage 99 I'm interested in is a featherweight in .250 sav.
    Had an EG in .300.
    why let go of the .300? I think the hunting-oriented history of the round is interesting and I plan to make it one of my deer rifles. But I have no experience with it, just what I’ve read

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My .300 Sav shot the Superformance fine.
    Was a well worn '35 model. Was not drilled and tapped.
    Got a Lightfoot mount and scoped it.
    Worked perfect but overall scoped the rifle didn't feel good to me.

Purists don't want old rifles D&T, of course the same folks won't pay much for a decent rifle either.
    But I figured the ol rig made it this far in original form, I wasn't gonna D&T it.
    Couldn't find a proper peep anywhere so away it went.

Scoped, featherweight, .250 sav.........only one I'll consider nowadays.

Don't need it, not really a lever fan anyway.

Just got a Ruger #1 in .308 so don't need a short action cartridge deer rig.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    Is anyone right handed but left eye dominant? I shoot rifles lefty due to my eyes and don't usually have an issue, but I'm concerned levers would be a tough adjustment with my non dominant hand. Actuating a selector and pulling a trigger is one thing with the wrong hand, but actually manipulating a lever quickly and without getting tripped up is another.

I am right hand and left eye. I can run all rifles and shotguns as a lefty or righty. Once I put time behind the lever I have found I'm actually smoother left-handed since I'm more methodical and don't rush. The only rifles I run strictly right-handed are AR's because most all the controls are just easier. This helped me with shooting both eyes open as well.

Top Bottom