• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    DPMS and CORE Rifle Systems make solid rifles and have great customer service.

I thought about DPMS but hadn't heard much about them for years. I'd also prefer it to at least come with a fixed front sight.

I have a CORE 15 Scout as my backup AR and its great. :)

How many rounds have you put through it?

I had two guys ask me about these late last year and couldn't find a real review anywhere.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I've owned DPMS, Double Star, PSA and even an Olympic or two and never had an issue with any of them. I would agree with many above on the S&W M&P. Since the floor is about $500 and you can get an M&P for under to right at $600, seems a good choice. If for no other reason than resale might be a bit stronger than a PSA or DPMS.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    If you can get a S&W for $600, get it. I have model MP15OR which is the flat-top. I threw a cheap battle scope, flip up BUS and and a floated hand guard. About the only thing I'd complain about is the trigger, but I think that can be said for any of the lower end ARs.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    If you can get a S&W for $600, get it. I have model MP15OR which is the flat-top. I threw a cheap battle scope, flip up BUS and and a floated hand guard. About the only thing I'd complain about is the trigger, but I think that can be said for any of the lower end ARs.

Whittakers has the Sport II for $549.99. I absolutely don't need one but am tempted.

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    This is definitely what I'm leaning towards. The gen 2 seems to be a no brainier to me

What I am calling the Gen 2 is without the forward assist and dust cover, just so you know. The first Gen had Thompson center barrel with 1 in 8 twist 5R progressive rifling. They also had an A2 rear sight believe. Mine is exactly like the Sport II just without the forward assist and dust cover.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    What I am calling the Gen 2 is without the forward assist and dust cover, just so you know. The first Gen had Thompson center barrel with 1 in 8 twist 5R progressive rifling. They also had an A2 rear sight believe. Mine is exactly like the Sport II just without the forward assist and dust cover.

I think we're on the same page.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    As a noob was asking the same question myself. The conclusion based on input, research and reviews was the M&P Sport. Ultimately went with a built AR from a friend but from what I read I would have been satisfied with the M&P.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    I went with the Ruger AR 556 based on all the positive reviews out there and the fact that it comes nicely equipped right out of the box. It's my first AR so I can't offer any comparisons based on experience but I can say that it feels nice in hand and when shouldering.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I'm very happy with the M&P Sport 15. Rural King sells them for less than $600 all the time.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've spent thousands of hours on the firing line watching "cheap ARs" getting fired by noobs during training. Without hesitation I can tell you all the "cheap guns" are all about the same quality because they're, more often than not, manufactured by the same people.

Sure, there are different brands out there and different companies use different parts and components but almost all the "cheapos" or "entry level ARs" are assembled from parts made by outside suppliers. Notice I said "assembled?"

The three you mentioned are all just fine. I wouldn't fast rope out the little bird in the sandbox with them but for the "I don't know squat about ARs" folks coming to you for advice, chances are good any of those three will be way more rifle than they really need.

This. Mohawk probably knows quite a bit more than me on who makes what. I'd also say the remainder of the advise is spot on as well. For most people, the ranges they are going to shoot at and the number of rounds they are going to shoot...there's no difference between "ok" "better" and "best". Spending $1500-$2500 on a boutique rifle just to say you've got one makes a lot less sense than a $550 rifle, practice ammo, and a training session or two.

Now, if you're REALISTICALLY going to be prairie dog hunting at long distances, shooting 10s of thousands of rounds in training, etc. then it may start to pay off to up the quality of the rifle.

**edit**
    Personally, I'd pony up for a forward assist model of any given rifle because press checks.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    In class with Mike Pannone this past weekend (he may know just a wee bit about AR's) he mused that he couldn't figure out why people would build franken guns when there are so many quality reasonably priced AR's out on the market. He followed it up with mentioning that most home built guns he sees in classes have problems.

What's considered a "franken" gun?

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    We got this last week from Marksman in Westfield. So far, she's running fine on anything brass I've fed her. Next meal is steel cased ammo.

attachment.php

indybrownsfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Mooresville
    I have been following this thread....I thought about buying a complete gun...But as time went on I found it more informative to build my own AR.

I used Anderson Lower and Anderson upper for my first build..Had a few small problems..Springs are a little tricky...Pretty much stock AR.

Second build I used Anderson lower with a Radical upper...Hexmag tactical grip that is adjustable..Battlelink rear stock.
    Nickel Boron BCG from Wise arms .... Very happy with both guns...
    That being said .. I learned a lot about the guns and how to take care of most any problem that may arise.
    Just my opinion but I feel you get more out of doing it yourself.
    Ohh and first gun was done for under 500.00
    Second gun around 700.00

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I would say that is subjective, but I took it he was referring to something put together from a bunch of different sources.

Both of my rifles are BCM uppers with Spikes lowers. One lower has a spiked LPK, the other is a BCM LPK.
    Didn't know if anyone would consider them franken rifles or not.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Both of my rifles are BCM uppers with Spikes lowers. One lower has a spiked LPK, the other is a BCM LPK.
    Didn't know if anyone would consider them franken rifles or not.

I would. But quality Franken rifles. To me a franken rifle is anything that is not using the same mfg. for all the parts except stocks, grips and forends.

Top Bottom