• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    A lot of those "Frankenguns" have the same stuff with different names on the parts. The PSA kits I was thinking of have pre-built uppers which have been test-fired at the factory. How someone could mess up building a lower... You'd have to try pretty hard. Personally, I'd do the lower build myself with a PSA rifle kit and get a CL/CHF barrel by FN way before I'd get a non-CL barrel in one of the factory entry-level ARs. YMMV.

Oh trust me, people can screw up building a lower. Especially the guys who are going to save a quarter by buying a parts kit with no name on the bag because "they all come from the same place anyway". I agree with what I think you are saying though, that a well put together and tuned upper is the important part of the equation.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    No issues with my DPMS that I bought from Rural King on sale for $535 after tax. I had to buy front and rear sights for it so if I had to do it again I'd probably go with a Ruger because at the Kokomo gun show they were going for $550 and had sights on them. That would have saved me some money.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I'll copy my post from a while back:

I'll be the guy who ignores what you say in your OP and inject my own knowledge. Buy a complete upper, buy a complete lower, and slap the two together.

You could get the Sport II: Champion Firearms | Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport II w/ Forward Assist & Dustcover 5.56mm 10202

So $630 for a bare bones AR

Or you could get this upper:

PSA 16" Mid-length Stainless 1:7 Freedom Upper - Without BCG or Charging Handle - 482726

Lower:

AR15 Complete MOE Plus Lower - Black - 7779445

BCG:

PSA 5.56 Premium HPT/MPI Full Auto Bolt Carrier Group - No Logo - 39339

And a basic $15 charging handle (PSA is out of stock right now)

That puts your total at $495, plus a rear sight and a mag, so add on another $60 or so. So $555 for a rifle with better furniture, a better gas system, and probably a better barrel.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Great reading in this thread, thank you!

Based on some of what I read here, I just picked up a S&W MP15 Sport II. I am sure I will be making some fairly quick upgrades on a few items, but for a decent starter platform, it seems like a great buy right now. I got mine for $699 out at Bare Arms in Noblesville. That was my first time in their store... good guys and I would recommend them highly.

Now, to get it cleaned and lubed so I can put some lead downrange.

caulfieldian

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    West of Indy
    for a low-cost yet high quality forend and pistol grip upgrade, look at the new MOE SL handguards. You can attach m-lock light mounts easily and they look great.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Great reading in this thread, thank you!

Based on some of what I read here, I just picked up a S&W MP15 Sport II. I am sure I will be making some fairly quick upgrades on a few items, but for a decent starter platform, it seems like a great buy right now. I got mine for $699 out at Bare Arms in Noblesville. That was my first time in their store... good guys and I would recommend them highly.

Now, to get it cleaned and lubed so I can put some lead downrange.

congrats James.
    although $699 seems kinda high for that particular model...
    by the time you burn through $699 worth of ammo, you won't care what you paid for the rifle.
    have fun with it.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    congrats James.
    although $699 seems kinda high for that particular model...
    by the time you burn through $699 worth of ammo, you won't care what you paid for the rifle.
    have fun with it.

Haha! So true. Thanks.

I have seen them online for closer to $600, but everyone is out of stock, I searched high and low. Plus, once you add the $35 transfer fee... The biggest thing is that it is always nice to support your LGS and keep the doors open for them. I buy a lot of photography equipment as well, and try to support the local guy as much as I can there as well. Now obviously, there is a limit as to how much extra I am willing to spend to support the local guy, but in this case, I felt comfortable especially considering there were none to be found elsewhere.

Reverend Dreed

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    new hope
    The Mrs and I picked up a couple of the s&w mp 15 sport II in the last few months, they are our first ar's and we like them. I got mine first in e town for 650 out the door. Hers was found on sale in bardstown for 589 and they ate the tax. We have each run about 100 rounds so far with no hick ups.

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    After reading some reviews and torture tests, I just purchased a Omni Hybrid Maxx from Rural Kings website. Forward assist, dust cover, rails and adjustable stock for $449, $491 out the door. With my limited budget, I thought that was a killer deal. I've wanted an AR15 for many years!

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    After reading some reviews and torture tests, I just purchased a Omni Hybrid Maxx from Rural Kings website. Forward assist, dust cover, rails and adjustable stock for $449, $491 out the door. With my limited budget, I thought that was a killer deal. I've wanted an AR15 for many years!
    Congrats on getting an AR15. Just a warning, it's hard to own just one!

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Why did you pay a 35 dollar fee? Was it a special order?

Because contrary to liberal belief you cant just buy a gun online and have it shipped to your house. you still have to have it transferred through a FFL. Most shops charge anywhere from $10-40 per transfer depending on where your at and how well you know your shop.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I'm well aware of how it works. I thought he said he bought it at a shop and still paid 35 dollars.

No, sorry for the confusion. I was saying that I saw some of the same guns online for about $600, but they were out of stock. I ended up paying $699, which is $99 more, but *if* I had ordered online, it would have cost me the additional $35 transfer fee, so the difference was really only $64, and I did not have to wait. I guess I was trying to say that the difference in cost was low enough to warranty the LGS purchase, especially when I would rather spend my money locally.

jag09

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indy/Cloverdale
    I saw Radical Firearms mentioned here, what is their reputation on INGO? I've seen mixed reviews but would like to hear from someone who has their product. Also any opinions on Karris Guns or Ghost Rifles? I am wanting to buy and upper then build out a stripped lower.

indybrownsfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Mooresville
    I have a Radical upper with a Anderson BCG.
    So far so good I have ran about 200 rounds without an issue.
    Price on the upper was under $300 without BCG.
    Hope this helps.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    The spreadsheet for a build is a good idea. Many of the "serious builders" you run across forget to include things like shipping, transfer fees, AND THEIR TIME! in the cost of their builds. Their "cheap AR build" - which is always cheaper than your off the rack bargain price - will include things like, "Well, I was going to order that anyway so I didn't include that in the price of this rifle here."

Bottom line is, right now, you can save money on building one if you meticulously search the interwebz all day, have the auto-message features set up, and have the tools. But that $20 savings isn't going to be had by someone building their very first one and the guy telling you to do it "to save money" is conveniently omitting the vise block and armorer's wrench he's only used twice.

Plus, there are way too many good rifles out there to be had on the cheap.

How someone could mess up building a lower... You'd have to try pretty hard.
    I used one of the "all made by the same place anyway" kits and the 12-year-old kid in mom's basement on the YouTube video had me do the build correctly.... but there was a part broken internally. (The J spring inside the hammer.) I had no idea what was wrong and just thought it was a cheaply built kit and the pins were walking due to being out of spec. (I knew the 12 y/o guided me through my install correctly. After all, he's on the internetz!)

After installing expensive anti-walk pins I continued to chase the issue for a while until another 12 y/o told me about the J spring. My hammer was still caddywhompus so I yanked it out, held it up to the light, and sure enough there was no J spring at all. I sent a strong email to AIM Surplus (supplier of my "all made by the same place" kit) and they corrected the issue immediately by sending me a new hammer.

The little stuff like that isn't supposed to happen in a factory build. That's why I'll always point folks toward a factory build first. Sure, building ARs is fun and easy but it gets easier as experience on the rifle is gained.

Top Bottom