Best sub-$200 folding pocket knife for edc?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Brad, what is your opinion of Buck Knives? I have been a Buck fan all my life, my first real hunting knife was a Buck 102 back in my pre-teen days. I know all the rage is ceramic bladed knives now.....but there is just something about a good old steel knife that I like.

I have a nice Buck 119...with a custom leather scabbard. I have been thinking about a nice assisted open folder. I do like the 110..but it's not assisted open. Am I too stuck in the past, too old fashioned?

I was the same way until I started handling good steel. Once you cross the road you will never look back.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I know all the rage is ceramic bladed knives now.....but there is just something about a good old steel knife that I like.

:scratch: I don't know what knife guys you know, but ceramic sucks!!

Steel is where it's at, the new steels will amaze you with their ability to pry, chop, slice, stay sharp, and sharpen easily. Check out a knife with 3V, ELMAX, M4, INFI, there's to many to name, that's just a few.

Buck isn't bad for what you pay, :twocents:

twfshelton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    The woods of green
    +1 for Emerson, so many different sizes and blade shapes, made in USA. With the emerson you are not stuck with fast opening, you can deploy it faster than even auto or simply thumb open. If you don't like chisel grind, you can sharpen to v grind. Very sturdy and easy to sharpen. Very rugged and simple, no spring to bind or break. The perfect knife would be a collabro of Emerson and Benchmade (wave with axis).

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Brad, what is your opinion of Buck Knives? I have been a Buck fan all my life, my first real hunting knife was a Buck 102 back in my pre-teen days. I know all the rage is ceramic bladed knives now.....but there is just something about a good old steel knife that I like.

I have a nice Buck 119...with a custom leather scabbard. I have been thinking about a nice assisted open folder. I do like the 110..but it's not assisted open. Am I too stuck in the past, too old fashioned?

With the possible passing of the new knife laws in Indiana, I have thought about an auto 110 Buck.

I do like the older Buck knives. I'm not all that crazy about their newer models, although some of them look to be pretty good from a steel selection viewpoint. I just think there are many better choices out there that fall into the same price range as some of the higher end (USA made & better steel) Buck models.:twocents:

FYI: The Buck 110 auto is not actually made by Buck. Secondary companies/people are taking the standard 110 model and converting them to an auto. Buck will not honor the warranty on the 110 models that have been converted.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Maybe, but I dont' find them visually appealing....at all. And my 46 year old Buck 102 is still a great knife.

There is someone for every seat. Case in point:

When I hit a knife show, I walk right passed the tables of knives that all look the same. Like the traditional slip joints and 10" Bowie knives with stag handles. I have no interest, and find them generally unappealling. I am
    Drawn more towards original designs and innovations. It's not to say the other knives are not quality built, but rather a question of visual taste.

The reason I share that is because looks ate skin deep. If we compare a quality built tool to a price point built tool.... Odds are very good that the quality tool will perform better. And to say a cheap, poorly mass produced knife can do anything a better built knife can, is ridiculous. Quality is measurable by performance. Just look up some of the edge holding and
    Impact tests done for RnD. Then, the junk drawer knives have no RnD...

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Personally, my tastes are a bit different. I think all the knives suggested above are butt ugly and generally repulsive. (please don't take that personally). For a more traditional quality knife I might suggest a knife from Great Eastern Cutlery or Queen Cutlery. I like the two blade trappers, canoes, and copperheads. Now THAT's a KNIFE!

savage308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Ft. Wayne
    I have been carrying a Kershaw (Ken Onion) 1550ST for years now. It is assisted open and easy to take apart and clean. Like any quality knife it has a lifetime warranty.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Personally, my tastes are a bit different. I think all the knives suggested above are butt ugly and generally repulsive. (please don't take that personally). For a more traditional quality knife I might suggest a knife from Great Eastern Cutlery or Queen Cutlery. I like the two blade trappers, canoes, and copperheads. Now THAT's a KNIFE!

You must be an old guy like me. None of these young whipper snappers of today appreciate a good slip joint knife. :):

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Surprised no one on the first page of this thread mentioned Chris Reeve?

The Sebenza is one of the most popular premium folders ever made!

Chris Reeve Knives - Optimum Quality, Optimum Performance

My next knife will be a ZDP-189 Spyderco. Probably a Stretch.

I abso-freaking-lutely love the Chris Reeve folders, but the thread is about the best knife for under $200. A small Sebenza is going to run around $400, and the large for another $50.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I abso-freaking-lutely love the Chris Reeve folders, but the thread is about the best knife for under $200. A small Sebenza is going to run around $400, and the large for another $50.

Didn't realize they were that expensive. Last I saw one it was around $200-$250ish..

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Didn't realize they were that expensive. Last I saw one it was around $200-$250ish..

I've seen them used around $250ish and up. But I totally agree the Reeve stuff is top notch. I don't think I've left my house without my Umnumzaan in the last 18 months I've owned it.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    My favorite carry knife for many years has been the Benchmade 730 by Elishewitz.

ff1vfk.jpg

Top Bottom