Best sub-$200 folding pocket knife for edc?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TEK

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    st joe county
    This is the typical statement that I hear very often from gun people who are not into knives. They will buy and carry Kimber, Wilson Combat and other high end firearms, but when it comes to their knife, $10 to $20 is their limit. Think about this, your more than likely going to use your knife a 100 times more in a week than your firearm, so why wouldn't you want something of decent quality that is going to serve you well? :twocents:

touche, you make a good point, but for me a medium quality gun is good enough too. I like AKs. I like a strong, basic, simple weapon. I also have an old set of golf clubs. I just dont like spending a lot of money on gear. I would prefer if i had the time to invest the money (and time) in training over newer better gear.

I like this SW tanto folder I have in my pocket. It's never failed to do anything I ask of it and if I lose it I can replace the same thign for $15.

I appreciate enthusiasm for nice super hi quality weapons but I am a utilitarian I guess. I also like cold steel machetes copies for $40 instead of buying a fancy expensive sword. I have a langsax and scramsax and a two handed saber type and a gladius type and I think they all cost me about $200 total.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    This is the typical statement that I hear very often from gun people who are not into knives. They will buy and carry Kimber, Wilson Combat and other high end firearms, but when it comes to their knife, $10 to $20 is their limit. Think about this, your more than likely going to use your knife a 100 times more in a week than your firearm, so why wouldn't you want something of decent quality that is going to serve you well? :twocents:

True, but if my knife fails, I have any number of other knives or metallic objects available as potential substitutes. The consequences of the failure are inconvenient, but not lethal.

With all due respect, I think that analogy to firearms fails.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    True, but if my knife fails, I have any number of other knives or metallic objects available as potential substitutes. The consequences of the failure are inconvenient, but not lethal.

You missed my point, it's not always about failure. It's about quality and performance.....edge retention, cutting performance, weight, ease of deployment...etc.
    The only reason I used the analogy to firearms is because we are on a gun forum and I figured more people could relate to what I was trying to say, but with everything that you purchase, there are different levels of quality and normally the cost/price will reflect that level of quality.

Last edited:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    No offense to anyone here but all you folks talking about your cheap knives and how well they work ect. Do you really use them? That smith and Wesson folder in your pocket is basically made out of Chinese heat treated juicy fruit wrappers. Take that out into the woods and use it for 20 minutes and you will have no edge at all and it will be worthless other than being pointy. It's easier to lose a knife but not that easy. How often have you lost your pistol you carry.

And just to be clear here I'm not saying you need to spend hundreds of dollars or even 100 dollars. You can find good quality knives for great prices if you do a little research. For example mora knives. Cost about 20 dollars and are literally razor sharp. Hold a decent edge. Can be had in stainless or carbon steel and even come with a sheath. Or look at condor knives. All come with a solid sheath and are properly heat treated carbon steel. Most are designed by folks who actually use knives on a daily basis out in the woods and around town. Very feature rich tools for very good prices. Or for great pocket knives that cost very little check out swiss army knives. Everyone should own a victorinox farmer. Such an amazing tool for about 35 bucks. I could go on but most you non knife folks have probably quit reading lol.

And to the poster above who talked about knife failure not being a big deal your right it isn't if your in the city or something but if you ever hike and camp off the beaten path a knife failure is huge unless you know how to flint knapp :) and it can be quite dangerous when a sharp object breaks.

Ps I believe brad and knife lady can hook you up at great prices for all the stuff I mentioned.

Last edited:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    No offense to anyone here but all you folks talking about your cheap knives and how well they work ect. Do you really use them? That smith and Wesson folder in your pocket is basically made out of Chinese heat treated juicy fruit wrappers. Take that out into the woods and use it for 20 minutes and you will have no edge at all and it will be worthless other than being pointy. It's easier to lose a knife but not that easy. How often have you lost your pistol you carry.

And just to be clear here I'm not saying you need to spend hundreds of dollars or even 100 dollars. You can find good quality knives for great prices if you do a little research. For example mora knives. Cost about 20 dollars and are literally razor sharp. Hold a decent edge. Can be had in stainless or carbon steel and even come with a sheath. Or look at condor knives. All come with a solid sheath and are properly heat treated carbon steel. Most are designed by folks who actually use knives on a daily basis out in the woods and around town. Very feature rich tools for very good prices. Or for great pocket knives that cost very little check out swiss army knives. Everyone should own a victorinox farmer. Such an amazing tool for about 35 bucks. I could go on but most you non knife folks have probably quit reading lol.

And to the poster above who talked about knife failure not being a big deal your right it isn't if your in the city or something but if you ever hike and camp off the beaten path a knife failure is huge unless you know how to flint knapp :) and it can be quite dangerous when a sharp object breaks.

Ps I believe brad and knife lady can hook you up at great prices for all the stuff I mentioned.

^^^^THIS^^^^
    I couldn't have said it better...Grunt is spot on!

Last edited:

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    touche, you make a good point, but for me a medium quality gun is good enough too. I like AKs. I like a strong, basic, simple weapon. I also have an old set of golf clubs. I just dont like spending a lot of money on gear. I would prefer if i had the time to invest the money (and time) in training over newer better gear.

I like this SW tanto folder I have in my pocket. It's never failed to do anything I ask of it and if I lose it I can replace the same thign for $15.

I appreciate enthusiasm for nice super hi quality weapons but I am a utilitarian I guess. I also like cold steel machetes copies for $40 instead of buying a fancy expensive sword. I have a langsax and scramsax and a two handed saber type and a gladius type and I think they all cost me about $200 total.

Basically what you guys are saying. Is you have low expectations of your gear so your never disappointed. :dunno:

Hopefully you don't learn the error of your ways when it really matters.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    You missed my point, it's not always about failure. It's about quality and performance.....edge retention, cutting performance, weight, ease of deployment...etc.
    The only reason I used the analogy to firearms is because we are on a gun forum and I figured more people could relate to what I was trying to say, but with everything that you purchase, there are different levels of quality and normally the cost/price will reflect that level of quality.

I see your point.

While I think the analogy to guns fails, your points are all still true and I see what you were doing.

The difference between a cheapo knife and a truly special, well-made blade of the latest steel is remarkable. It's almost unreasonable to use the same word "knife" to describe them both. Kinda like a "car" can be a 30 year old Volvo or a brand new Audi.

I used to shave with a straight razor because I liked all the kit that went with it. Now I shave with a Muhle R41 and some Astra SPs-- a safety razor and disposable blades. For the life of me, I cannot keep a straight razor anywhere near as sharp as a disposable DE blade. And since a quality DE blade is only 20 cents a pop, I just can't justify the expense.

JH

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    The edge on the Kershaw I picked up is holding up fairly well... Admittedly I was a bit worried about using it as not to lose the edge [from prior experiences with cheap knives] but it's holding up nicely.

I'm sure there are nicer steels out there, but this one is durable enough for me for now.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    The edge on the Kershaw I picked up is holding up fairly well... Admittedly I was a bit worried about using it as not to lose the edge [from prior experiences with cheap knives] but it's holding up nicely.

I'm sure there are nicer steels out there, but this one is durable enough for me for now.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your Kershaw Shallot, it's a fine knife, and I wouldn't consider it to be a cheap knife. Go ahead and use the hell out of it, and yes, you will have to sharpen it at some point, but that is the case with every knife (even the $200 plus ones) if you use them. Try not to lose the edge completely, it will make it harder to sharpen. Stropping it once in a while will also help keep the edge between sharpening periods.

I want to be perfectly clear, when I talk about cheap or cheapo knives, I'm referring to the crap that comes from over seas that uses a questionable steel with questionable heat treating....in the words of Grunt, "Chinese heat treated juicy fruit wrappers". There are a lot of decent quality knives that only run in the $40 to $50 range. Are they as good as a $100 or $200 plus knife?.....probably not, but they are far from being junk. :twocents:

Last edited:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with your Kershaw Shallot, it's fine knife, and I wouldn't consider it to be a cheap knife. Go ahead use the hell out of it, and yes, you will have to sharpen it at some point, but that is the case with every knife (even the $200 plus ones) if you use them. Try not to lose the edge completely, it will make it harder to sharpen. Stropping it once in a while will also help keep the edge between sharpening periods.
    I don't have a strop yet, but plan on picking one up at some point in the near future. I did get a Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker and tested it out on a few older knives/kitchen knives/etc. It's no Wicked Edge but I was able to sharpen a nicked and dull knife (so dull I couldn't cut myself with it if I tried) back to sharp enough to shave hair off my arm with it.

I want to be perfectly clear, when I talk about cheap or cheapo knives, I'm referring to the crap that comes from over seas that uses a questionable steel with questionable heat treating....in the words of Grunt, "Chinese heat treated juicy fruit wrappers". There are a lot of decent quality knives that only run in the $40 to $50 range. Are they as good as a $100 or $200 plus knife?.....probably not, but they are far from being junk. :twocents:
    Oh, I know - but even if it's a quality knife $40~50 is still "cheap" compared to $100 or $200 - cheap in price, not necessarily in quality.

Jeepers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    My EDC is the Sog Mini Aegis Tanto. Hangs low in your pocket and is very light. Been a very good knife for me.

Indiana Ed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    Bloomington / South
    It comes down to personal taste. I don't really care for most linerlocks for pocket. To me they seem to open to easily. My edc is a spyderco rescue. I do also carry a spyderhawk from time to time. But if linerlock is ok w/you look at a emerson. There are several "used" ones on this site that would pass for new on any gun show table. They can be a little heavy if you get a bigger one, but you can't break one.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    It comes down to personal taste. I don't really care for most linerlocks for pocket. To me they seem to open to easily. My edc is a spyderco rescue. I do also carry a spyderhawk from time to time. But if linerlock is ok w/you look at a emerson. There are several "used" ones on this site that would pass for new on any gun show table. They can be a little heavy if you get a bigger one, but you can't break one.

Please explain this to me, I'm confused as to why a lock of any type would have an affect on how a knife opens. :dunno:

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN

do you mean the lock unlocks to easily or the blade opens freely in your pocket?

Indiana Ed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    Bloomington / South
    Please explain this to me, I'm confused as to why a lock of any type would have an affect on how a knife opens. :dunno:

A knife that has a arch lock like an Spyderco Endura has tension on the blade by the spring when closed. Liner locks don't have this. I know it sounds silly but they seem safer in my pocket to me. I once had a CRKT open in my front pocket. Just enough to give me a little treat when i reached for my keys.

Indiana Ed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    Bloomington / South
    Opens in the pocket. Sorry for the confusion.

When i was a kid i carried a swiss army knife everywhere. Back then you could even carry one at school. In the woods i carried a surplus USAF survival knife. That was a pretty good combo. Now a days there seems to be alot more choices. Before this wonderful invention we are using now. You actually had to leave the house to buy something. Read a mag to find you about guns,knives, whatever.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    A knife that has a arch lock like an Spyderco Endura has tension on the blade by the spring when closed. Liner locks don't have this. I know it sounds silly but they seem safer in my pocket to me. I once had a CRKT open in my front pocket. Just enough to give me a little treat when i reached for my keys.

I'm assuming that you mean a lock back design when referring to an "arch lock".

I would tend to agree that the lock back design puts a little tension/pressure on the blade tang when the blade is close because the center pivoted stop bar touches and tracks around the circular portion of the blade tang until it drops or locks into the notched out tang. However, with higher quality knives that don't use the lock back design for a locking mechanism, a good detent design incorporated into the knife will keep the blade closed until you are ready to deploy it.

Indiana Ed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    Bloomington / South
    I'm assuming that you mean a lock back design when referring to an "arch lock".

I would tend to agree that the lock back design puts a little tension/pressure on the blade tang when the blade is close because the center pivoted stop bar touches and tracks around the circular portion of the blade tang until it drops or locks into the notched out tang. However, with higher quality knives that don't use the lock back design for a locking mechanism, a good detent design incorporated into the knife will keep the blade closed until you are ready to deploy it.

I would agree i have never had a Emerson open in pocket.

Top Bottom