Best to get a cheaper gun first or something more expensive?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Oh, sorry. Just for the range. I suppose home defense too. Probably not the only gun I ever have, but I'll have it for a long while before getting anything else!

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    You will get what you pay for. My wife and I got High Point 40s a little over a year ago. Without going into detail, now I wish I would have taken that $378 and put it towards something else.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    You can spend as much as you want on a gun, but if you don't practice with, shoot it, and can do so accurately all you've got is an expensive paper weight or a wall hanging.
    Get a gun you can use well first--that's what they are meant for!

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Here's a question: I read one review on another forum where a guy commented and said that the CZ has a really long trigger reset, so it's hard to fire it fast. Is this true? While I don't normally do that, it's fun sometimes and if I need to in an emergency situation I don't want to wait around. The SR22 and Glock 22 I use both seemed very responsive.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    The trigger reset will be longer than a striker fired gun, but the key is practice, Practice, PRACTICE!

I never had any trouble doing rapid fire drills or double taps with my CZ 75B

The same holds true now with my CZ P-01. I can rapid fire and double tap as fast as anything else I shoot frequently.

jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Just to be a contrarian, I personally see the merit in starting off cheap. It lets you learn what you like and what you don't. Sure I wish I'd never bought that Kel Tec, but now I know I don't like tiny guns and I'd be out a lot more money if I'd started with a Sig 238. Some might have thought buying the used Taurus 38 spl was a bad idea but it turns out it's one of my favorite guns and led me to trying out Rugers and Smith and Wessons. Education is valuable too.

Plus it gets you to the range and in the company of like-minded folks, most of whom will let you run a mag or two through their guns if you ask nicely. I'd talked myself into buying a 357 j-frame until someone let me shoot one. I'd talked myself out of a compact polymer 45 until I put some rounds downrange with one. I'd be $250 richer if I'd shot someone else's P3AT before buying one.

However, DON'T COMPROMISE ON RELIABILITY. There are plenty of lower-cost firearms that will run well; don't buy a piece of junk while looking for a good deal.

Just my thoughts anyway. I think the best advice in this thread is if you can afford to buy what you want, go ahead and do it!

steveg26

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    I would say the glock 19 would be a good first gun simple to operat and parts avlibility. You say you wont be buying another gun for a long time and the glock will last a lifetime. You can find them for around 499.00 and up for a new one plus ammo and mags are cheap. Cdnn sells new mags for 22.00 there are all kinds of after market stuff for glocks.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    So i'm pretty set on getting the CZ 75B which'll probably run me about $700 when all is said and done (stainless steel). This is a pretty reasonable amount of money to me at this point in my life (student waiting to get into med school heh).

So it got me to thinking...would it be better to get something cheaper ("worse?") first, then moving on up?

Thanks for any advice, you guys are great! :rockwoot:
    Don't equate "cheaper" than $700 to be worse. You can get a whole lot of great pistols for a lot less than 700. All the Glock standard calibers run from $499 to $550 depending on where you buy them and what kind of sights you want.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Buy once, cry once. If you want a CZ, then you'll find yourself regretting settling for something else. I've owned quite a few handguns, and buying one that wasn't what I really wanted was always a losing proposition.

CZ makes a darn fine gun for the money. Both of my Shadows have gone well over 4000k each running 100%.

And the trigger is amazing. Those Shadows make a no-talent hack like myself look almost good.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kawZ0T245Ew[/ame]

Last edited:

gvonpaul

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I liken guns to guitars. Price tag is not nearly as relevant as reliability and well you handle it. I have several expensive handguns, but I like the Glock 19 in my hand the best.
    This is actually a very good analogy. With a beginner, a cheap guitar will be frustrating to use because they tend to be difficult to play. They won't want to practice because it is difficult. My son started playing guitar and I bought him a decent, easy to play model that didn't fatigue him, and he spends hours and hours practicing. A cheap guitar would probably have sat in its' case, forgotten.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    For my first pistol I bought a sig p226 in 22lr and then added a 9mm conversion kit. You can buy it as a kit for 789 on gunbroker all day long. I want to practice on a full size gun cheaply and without thought of recoil. Ive been to the range a few times and am becoming a lot more familiar with the gun and shooting without the big bang. In time Ill put the 9mm on it and start going through the 9mm ammo ive been stockpiling but by then the gun itself will be old hat. I wanted a quality gun to start out with knowing that I couldn't blame poor accuracy or reliability on the gun. I know I will get a lot of use with the 22 barrel as time goes by with my brothers kids, and other newbies.

I also have a couple of pocket 9's that I got great deals on that I have dry fired and disassembled, but they won't see any lead through their barrels until I am comfortable with the p226

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    The gun is only part of the equation; a .45 is a great round, but if you're on a budget and just starting out, you'll need LOTS of practice, and you probably won't be able to afford it.

For a first handgun, if you need it to pull double duty as a defensive piece and a training piece, go 9mm. Decent stopping power, good capacity, and its cheap enough to actually train with. Plus recoil is nice.

For a first handgun, I honestly tend to lean on the budget-minded side. More than likely, you have NO freakin clue what you want in a gun yet....because you haven't been able to experience many of them. So an expensive gun is a really expensive chance at failure to meet your unknown requirements....a cheap gun is a cheaper chance at the same failure. Plus it'll let you buy lots more ammo.

And in a year, when you have decided what it is about your cheap gun you don't like, you can already have saved up enough money to buy a higher-end gun, based on requirements that you now know because of your experience.

seadoodr.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    martinsville
    No reason not to go with the CZ. Get it and keep it forever.

If you want a good gun thats fairly cheap but still reliable Ill second the Sig SP2022 and also add the Ruger P95 to the list.

The Ruger can be had in black for ~400 and Stainless for ~450.
    +1 on the ruger, I picked up a clean p95dc a few weeks ago. I've put about 200 rounds through it and like it alot.Shoots anything I run through it with no problems at all.:)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The gun is only part of the equation; a .45 is a great round, but if you're on a budget and just starting out, you'll need LOTS of practice, and you probably won't be able to afford it.

For a first handgun, if you need it to pull double duty as a defensive piece and a training piece, go 9mm. Decent stopping power, good capacity, and its cheap enough to actually train with. Plus recoil is nice.

For a first handgun, I honestly tend to lean on the budget-minded side. More than likely, you have NO freakin clue what you want in a gun yet....because you haven't been able to experience many of them. So an expensive gun is a really expensive chance at failure to meet your unknown requirements....a cheap gun is a cheaper chance at the same failure. Plus it'll let you buy lots more ammo.

And in a year, when you have decided what it is about your cheap gun you don't like, you can already have saved up enough money to buy a higher-end gun, based on requirements that you now know because of your experience.

I also subscribe somewhat to the the theory of going to the middle of the road regarding price when you start getting into handguns for the first time. Reading and researching makes for an informed buy, but you can still end up with something that is not right for you. Don't seek to go cheap, but seek to get a good value.

You will only know what works for you after shooting/carrying, etc some different guns and really analyzing the experience. A gun can be of great quality and still not be right for you.

The good thing about guns is if you buy at the right price (i.e. don't over pay for a given gun), you should always be able to sell (again doing so wisely, and to an individual if possible) without taking a huge loss.

I've spent many years figuring out what works for me regarding guns, and put some money into things I probably should not have early on. Do your research (on what you like/quality/price) and realize it will be a learning experience.

As otheras have said, also consider the price and availability of ammo, magazines, holsters, other equipment you may need for a particular gun.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Good to know. I actually chose this over a Sig P226 because it was cheaper. Everything about guns is expensive, its amazing. I wish i got into this hobby before the prices went crazy.

I saw a bunch of guns at the gun show that were like...$160 (.40, 9mm, .45, .22, etc) with the brand name "hi point" or something like that. Wonder how that compares to something more expensive.
    I have a Hi Point JHP in .45 ACP, and it has been an excellent gun so far. It eats just about any bullet profile I feed it and it is very accurate. I have ran just over 500 rounds through mine so far without one single malfunction. It is butt-ugly and big, but fits the hand perfectly. I primarily use it for a home defense pistol, and my wife shoots it very well. I do have a Fobus paddle holster for it and can carry it in the winter months, but it is too large to conceal with warm weather clothes on. My primary carry gun right now is a Taurus PT-709.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville

BlueEagle speak with straight tongue. Orgeta make many bad choices for many moons before finding Glock.

jazzy1993

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Lake County

+1 on this. I bought my first carry gun a few months ago, I went with 9mm because I wanted to get plenty of practice and not spend a lot of money doing it. I will one day buy a more expensive pistol either .40 or.45 but the XD9 subcompact was what I figured I would start out with. I was originally looking at the S&W SD9 but decided to pony the extra 150 for the Springfield. I don't want to have any regrets. You don't need to spend 700 for your first firearm. You don't buy a 400k house for your "starter home", that comes later (maybe, prob not me though)

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Awww, everybody likes my post. I feel so loved. :D

Do you have a range that rents handguns near you? That can go a LONG way towards helping you figure out what you want.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Thanks for all the info and offers to test their guns out, you guys have gotta be the nicest forum I've been to! I think I'll just go for it, then. I tried other guns out that had more comfortable grips at the gun show but those were either way more expensive or not even 9mm (what I'm looking for) or not as good according to reviews.

Sig p226 seems really nice too, but that's too expensive and I've heard the newer ones (made in essex i think?) aren't as well made as the ones made in Germany.

Look around in the classifieds for deals also. You might find a German made P226 for around the price of a CZ or you might find a CZ for a little better price or the same price with some goodies.

ETA: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns_pistols_and_revolvers/217745-cz_97b_w_4_mags.html

Like that.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom