Best way to "deal" with a skunk without getting sprayed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Whatever you do, PUH-LEEZE have your wife video this from the safety of inside your house. You know, as a how-to for anyone else who may have the same problem. Yeah, yeah, that's it, a how-to...yeah.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Can you not set some dope out for it to eat? I'm sure skunks eat old food. Just put a little poison in some cat food or whatever

4evercoltsfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Goshen
    Set up a trap that will keep it alive. Then from behind, slowly lower a blanket onto the trap. Transport the trap to a pond and lower the trap and blanket slowly into the water and drown the skunk. If you shoot it, it will spray! When I was younger I helped get rid of these critters with this method and it was followed by an ol' timer for many, many years!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Both the state and federal government.

And local? It's my understanding Indy is a no go for "dangerous weapons", though I could be wrong

Sec. 451-2. Firearms generally. (a) Within the police special service district, it shall be unlawful for any person to fire off, shoot at another person or otherwise use any dangerous weapon for any purpose other than in defense of his life or the life of another person, or the protection of his property or property entrusted to him by another person, or for practice at a range under the supervision and operation of a governmental entity, or without the prior written approval of the department of public safety.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Air Rifle? (it's not a firearm)

Or nuke it from space, just to make sure. :)

I know the "no shoot" areas inside Marion County the law covers ANY projectile weapon whether its compressed gas, gunpowder, or springs. I think the latter has even been discussed here as to whether it could theoretically also apply to a bow since its just a giant spring.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'd just as soon not kill it...

Not necessarily for any moral reasons - just that once the critter expires - the sphincter muscles (yeah, I said it. So what?) relax and the musk will be released anyhow.

I've thought about contacting some "pest removal businesses" in the area and inquiring as to how much they charge.

If I could then spread that cost between all affected parties - that MAY be the way to go.

-J-

(And yes, discharge of even pellet/BB guns where I live is "illegal")

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    My wife's grandfather told me that if you crack a skunk sharply across the back and break it's spine, it won't be able to spray.
    I never really understood how that helped.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My wife's grandfather told me that if you crack a skunk sharply across the back and break it's spine, it won't be able to spray.
    I never really understood how that helped.

It'll still lose control of the muscles that retain the musk.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We've shot many that did not spray. If you shoot it in the head, it will not spray. The last three that were shot were all in a group...three shots, three dead and none sprayed. Their mama that ran off did but they did not. That was lovely. She and her other young one apparently have moved on as I no longer smell any hint of them by the wood shed where they were hiding.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I know the "no shoot" areas inside Marion County the law covers ANY projectile weapon whether its compressed gas, gunpowder, or springs. I think the latter has even been discussed here as to whether it could theoretically also apply to a bow since its just a giant spring.

I must have missed the Marion County part of the equation.

Does a blow gun with darts dipped in poisonous rainforest frog blood count as compressed air? :)

I guess call an exterminator.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-Licensed_Nuisance_Wild_Animal_Control_Ops.pdf

Why kill it? Seems like a waste of life. Trap and relocate it.

Because it has to be released in the same county it was trapped in and because it's against the law to trap and dump a wild animal on someone else's property without their permission.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I must have missed the Marion County part of the equation.

Does a blow gun with darts dipped in poisonous rainforest frog blood count as compressed air? :)

I guess call an exterminator.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-Licensed_Nuisance_Wild_Animal_Control_Ops.pdf

Because it has to be released in the same county it was trapped in and because it's against the law to trap and dump a wild animal on someone else's property without their permission.

We normally take them to the fish and wildlife area to release them. Not private property and an area where they apparently are welcome since it is wildlife habitat.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Once read that skunks are constantly on the move and don't settle in one area. I've found this to be true, had one hanging around the yard, after a couple days, no sign of him again. This was in a rural area.

Top Bottom