Best way to "deal" with a skunk without getting sprayed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    "Oozes stink" LOL! God love the little critter....
    You know - I never thought of the "approach trap while shielding yourself with a tarp" deal.

Interesting. In other words - spraying's gonna happen no matter what, might as well just mitigate it.

This critter just oozes stink. It's walked under our open bedroom window twice in the last few weeks. Gotta shut the window or stink up the whole house. Sheesh.

AND it's crapping in my yard.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    We normally take them to the fish and wildlife area to release them. Not private property and an area where they apparently are welcome since it is wildlife habitat.

I find it incredibly amazing that anyone would put a live skunk in their car and take it anywhere.

But anyway... DNR: Nuisance Wildlife

Resident landowners and tenants have several options for dealing with many of these animals. A resident landowner or tenant can legally capture some species of wild animals without a permit if the animal is discovered damaging property. If the animal is going to be released after it is caught, it must be released in the county of capture. You must also have permission from the landowner before releasing any animals on their property; this includes city, county or state property. Please contact the property’s owner or manager before releasing wild animals on their property. If the nuisance wild animal is not on your own property or you wish to receive an annual permit, you can apply for a nuisance wild animal control permit. The application form and regulations are available on-line.

And... DNR: Striped Skunk

[h=3]MANAGEMENT[/h] Skunks been protected by Indiana law since 1905. Skunk harvest is controlled by trapping seasons and regulations. Occasional skunk sightings around neighborhoods should not be cause for alarm. When skunks take up residence around homes, mild harassment is usually effective in convincing them to move elsewhere. Packing a burrow with leaves or using mild repellents such as rags soaked in ammonia will often do the job.
    [h=3]PREVENTION AND CONTROL[/h] Occasional sightings around neighborhoods should not be cause for alarm. When skunks take up residence around homes (usually under decks, barns and in crawl spaces), mild harassment is usually effective in convincing them to move elsewhere. Eliminate rodents found around your house by including removing access to crawl spaces and garages, reducing their food supply by storing pet food and bird seed in sealed containers, and reducing nesting materials by stacking firewood piles away from the house and keeping trash picked up.

If you know where the skunk has its den in a confined area, placing leaves or rags soaked in ammonia in that area will often do the job. Once the animal has left, make sure to permanently seal the entrance to prevent the skunk from gaining access again.

If you find a skunk trapped in a window well, place a rough board in the well that extends to the top and it will climb out on its own. If a skunk gets into the house, open a door and calmly allow it to exit. Don’t chase or excite the skunk.

Resident landowners and tenants can live-trap a skunk that is causing damage on their own property without a permit from the DNR. The skunk must be euthanized or released within the county of capture on property in which you have permission. In order to prevent the spread of disease, the DNR encourages homeowners to safely and humanely euthanize the skunks, if possible. Live-traps can be purchased from hardware stores and garden centers. If you do not want to trap the skunk yourself, contact a licensed nuisance wild animal control operator.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Rent a live trap from any of the pest control places near you. Put a little bowl of cat food in it. When you catch him, take a regular bed sheet, wet it down real good. Hold it up in front of you as you approach the cage, and gently throw it over it. I used to be a maintence man at a apt. complex in Portage. We had to do this at least twice a week. The wet sheet really works. Good luck and have fun!

I second this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Also, remember to remove your clothes first because if you get any spray on them it will ruin your clothing.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Best solution just came to me, set up a box trap with the best bait you can find in your neighbor's yard, that way the skunk is caught and you don't have to deal with getting rid of it.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Best solution just came to me, set up a box trap with the best bait you can find in your neighbor's yard, that way the skunk is caught and you don't have to deal with getting rid of it.

That's....delicious. LOL

Thing is - I LIKE all my neighbors!

The older couple immediately next door are a tad standoffish - but they'll still always wave and say hi.

That'd be a heck of a prank. :D

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Mk_6_nuclear_bomb.jpg

Mushroom-Cloud-010.jpg

:rofl:

dirtfarmerz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Henry County
    My son picks them out of the chicken nest boxes often. He walks up to them all the time and picks them up by the tail. He usually brings them to the house to show them off. There's only been one with an attitude, but he still got picked up by the tail. He had another one a few nights ago.

He got sprayed once; he was chasing one across the yard. The only reason it sprayed him is because my son kicked some gravel toward the skunk as he was reaching down running behind it. Full blast in the face. That was special.

Skunk_zpsf60d87f0.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
    Top Bottom