• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I know this is BGF's sub-forum, so I'm sure there's some biased opinions, but I'd like to get you guys' thoughts on BGF versus Pops when it comes to using the range.

I've been in BGF a couple times and their facility is top-notch. However, Pop's is literally 5 minutes from me versus the 15-20 minutes it takes to get to Beech Grove. If there's a night I want to shoot after work, it'd be much more convenient to stay close to home. I have not been in Pop's yet to check it out for myself, but thought I'd start here.

slowG

Expert
    Dec 15, 2010
    Pops is ... Ok. Forced to shoot for an hour. The kid that runs the register is a gigantic Tool. I see some interesting people in there shooting that I wouldn't trust with a butter knife. Other then that .. It's ok.

Noway Jose

Marksman
    Jan 16, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've had decent experiences at Pop's. I still have one free range token so I'll be there at least one more time. If you're comparing the ranges it's not even close though. Pop's has fewer lanes, poor ventilation, and their system is just older. Last time I was there the target retriever got stuck. It's not a bad place, but I'll usually spend the little extra time and money it costs to go to BGF.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Pops isn't bad. There's nothing that would make me rather go to pops over BGF other than distance from my home, but even then I would still rather go to BGF breathe cleaner air, shoot a mosin, and have fun chatting with the staff.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Pops is ... Ok. Forced to shoot for an hour. The kid that runs the register is a gigantic Tool. I see some interesting people in there shooting that I wouldn't trust with a butter knife. Other then that .. It's ok.

Uh, er, are you in Pop's or Dons....:dunno:

Sounds the same.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    There is no comparison. I'd rather give my money to a crack addict than give it to the dicks at pops.
    beech grove is an excellent range. I'd like to see more lighting eventually so I could see my target better, but otherwise there's no other range comparable yet in central Indy.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I had free range hours at Pops and gave them away to another INGO member for free. I work across the street from Pops and go in there every now and then on my lunch break to kill time. Usually get to deal with the young arrogant kid who runs the range most of the time. Id rather spend my money with a INGO site supporter. Beech Grove has the nicest indoor range in Indiana and the staff is always nice. And last time I checked BGF is cheaper then Pops.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I have 4 free range tokens to Pop's, so I'll be back there. I've never been to BFG but really want to get there and check it out. Pop's is the only indoor range I've been to so I can't really compare the range to anything, but the store lacks quite a bit. The young guy behind the counter "tool" as previously stated is rather obnoxious but there are one or two guys in there that seem nice enough.

wolfman

Master
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    When you get tired of the metallic taste in your mouth and the black soot in you nose, every time you come out of POP's, head over to BGF and see what real air quality is like.

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I think you guys have made my mind up for me... Thanks! BGF it is. I can deal with poor facilities, but I won't deal with poor employees.

boileralum

Marksman
    Sep 6, 2010
    Indy
    I can see Pop's from the upstairs windows on that side of my house, and the reputation alone was enough to keep me from darkening the door. I'd much rather drive the 15 mins to BGF than walk to Pop's.

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    BGF has great, nice employes. The old man is a little ruff (white hair beer belly) not rude, but not friendly. All the girls are GREAT, the young guy with the dog (most beautiful German Shepherd EVER) is super cool. The dog is just amazing, love the shop pouch. Everyone is great, friendly and knowledgable. The range is so far better then Pop's, air quality at BGF is amazing. Plus Pop's has some customers in it's range that I don't feel comfortable with, its a lot like Don's. Not as bad as Don's but pretty close it terms of some of the customers. BGF is a great place, with great people, great product, and great prices. Support them!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    BGF has great, nice employes. The old man is a little ruff (white hair beer belly) not rude, but not friendly. All the girls are GREAT, the young guy with the dog (most beautiful German Shepherd EVER) is super cool. The dog is just amazing, love the shop pouch. Everyone is great, friendly and knowledgable. The range is so far better then Pop's, air quality at BGF is amazing. Plus Pop's has some customers in it's range that I don't feel comfortable with, its a lot like Don's. Not as bad as Don's but pretty close it terms of some of the customers. BGF is a great place, with great people, great product, and great prices. Support them!
    That's Garry, Greg's dad and part owner I believe. All the ladies and the younger boys have always been top notch.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    I shot at dons twicw when I was younger because its near me. It is awful. Haveng been to pops since there was one on 56th and georgetown. Matter of fact haben't been to a range in probably 5 years. Is BGF range attatched to the main building? Or is it not. Basicallu I'd like to know where to go if I go there to shoot. I have wanted to go but it's a bit far and never been there.

Integraholic

Master
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home
    I shot at dons twicw when I was younger because its near me. It is awful. Haveng been to pops since there was one on 56th and georgetown. Matter of fact haben't been to a range in probably 5 years. Is BGF range attatched to the main building? Or is it not. Basicallu I'd like to know where to go if I go there to shoot. I have wanted to go but it's a bit far and never been there.
    Yep. Walk in the front door and head back to the range.

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    BGF has great, nice employes. The old man is a little ruff (white hair beer belly) not rude, but not friendly. !

Gary at BGF reminds me of some of the old timers I grew up around, which is probably one of the reasons I like him. When you start dealing with him, he's polite and courteous, but you'll see a lot more of his personality once he's decided that you know the difference between :poop: and Shinola.

He's never steered me wrong to make a buck.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom