• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyk

Master
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Keep the hastey old man at home and give that place good change over in mgmt, supply, and products, would bring folks back to pops, but over the years, thier reputation for customer service and lack of decent product and pricing keeps folks like me far away,
    and I live 1 minute away.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Stay away from Pops. They are less then 2 minutes from my place and I don't even consider them for anything.

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    Gary at BGF reminds me of some of the old timers I grew up around, which is probably one of the reasons I like him. When you start dealing with him, he's polite and courteous, but you'll see a lot more of his personality once he's decided that you know the difference between :poop: and Shinola.

He's never steered me wrong to make a buck.

Im not talking crap, he's fine, I don't know him. Just compared to everyone else in the shop, yea know. But still compared to some at other shops like Elmore's, forgetaboutit. The rudest person at BGF is still 10 times better then the nicest person at Pop's or Elmore's.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Does BGF let you draw from the holster? Does Pop's? That would help me make a decision if one did and the other did not.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Mar 22, 2013
    Last time I shot at pops, everyone was rapid firing everything they had... including me :ar15:.. and I thought I was going to die from smoke inhalation and lead poisoning

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Im not talking crap, he's fine, I don't know him. Just compared to everyone else in the shop, yea know. But still compared to some at other shops like Elmore's, forgetaboutit. The rudest person at BGF is still 10 times better then the nicest person at Pop's or Elmore's.

I'd say your assessment was fair. Seems to me that he takes a minute to warm up to people.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Stopped by both shops today. Only spent money at BGF.

Was going to shoot at Pop's because of the free range tokens, they had an hour wait so we decided to try BGF and see how it was. Went there, they said about 30 min wait, we filled out the paperwork and got in almost right away. Probably a 10-15 min wait total. I paid a fair price (cheaper than prices posted on the wall) for 1/2 hour and 3 ppl on 1 lane, and I know we shot longer than 30 mins...I guess they were being nice since myself and the 2 ppl with me had never been there before.

I'll definitely be back. Thanks BGF!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I will never darken pops door again. Getting bumped after waiting for the range for 45 minutes where I was next by a walk-in club member sucks ass. The final straw?

I went in to buy a bipod. About the time I get to the counter, an older customer who walked in at the same time mentions to the two guys behind the counter (one kid, one old) that he is there to see the new 1911 they just got in and was called about.

He started coonfingering it and the old coot behind the counter asks me what I want. I tell him what I want and he goes to the back to get it. About that time the other customer tells the kid "I'll take it" and they proceed to the register. The old guy returns and hands me my bipod a few seconds later and tells me to go to the counter and talk to the kid to pay for it. I thank him and then approach the register to see the other customer starting to fill out his 4473. I wait patiently for a couple minutes and the kid makes no attempt to do anything except watch the codger S-L-O-W-L-Y and meticulously fill out the form while they shoot the breeze. I interrupt politely and ask if I can pay for my accessory and be on my way. "As soon as I finish with this customer, sir I can help you."

My jaw hit the floor. Seriously?!? I just want to hand you my cash and leave, but I have to wait for this guy to fill out a form and you call it in? I'll be in my car by the time the other guy even finishes the form!

After another couple minutes pass and the old guy walks up, and as if he never set eyes on me before, asks "Is there something I can help you with?" I said "um... yeah, I'd just like to pay for this so I can leave?" At which point he beckons me to the range register and lets me pay. (as if he couldnt have done this in the first place?)

After that horrific customer service experience, I'll never be back.

BGF is worth the drive. Even if you are in the Pop Guns parking lot.

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    I will never darken pops door again. Getting bumped after waiting for the range for 45 minutes where I was next by a walk-in club member sucks ass. The final straw?

I went in to buy a bipod. About the time I get to the counter, an older customer who walked in at the same time mentions to the two guys behind the counter (one kid, one old) that he is there to see the new 1911 they just got in and was called about.

He started coonfingering it and the old coot behind the counter asks me what I want. I tell him what I want and he goes to the back to get it. About that time the other customer tells the kid "I'll take it" and they proceed to the register. The old guy returns and hands me my bipod a few seconds later and tells me to go to the counter and talk to the kid to pay for it. I thank him and then approach the register to see the other customer starting to fill out his 4473. I wait patiently for a couple minutes and the kid makes no attempt to do anything except watch the codger S-L-O-W-L-Y and meticulously fill out the form while they shoot the breeze. I interrupt politely and ask if I can pay for my accessory and be on my way. "As soon as I finish with this customer, sir I can help you."

My jaw hit the floor. Seriously?!? I just want to hand you my cash and leave, but I have to wait for this guy to fill out a form and you call it in? I'll be in my car by the time the other guy even finishes the form!

After another couple minutes pass and the old guy walks up, and as if he never set eyes on me before, asks "Is there something I can help you with?" I said "um... yeah, I'd just like to pay for this so I can leave?" At which point he beckons me to the range register and lets me pay. (as if he couldnt have done this in the first place?)

After that horrific customer service experience, I'll never be back.

BGF is worth the drive. Even if you are in the Pop Guns parking lot.

The last time I shot at Pop's there was a "member" next to me shooting. It was the last time I will ever darken there door. The only club he should have been in was a cage, either at a zoo or a prison, doesn't matter. I really think Pop's is trying hard to get every last drug dealer, gangster, welfare queen/king that Don's hasn't gotten to yet.

I do not understand why anyone on INGO or with a brain in there head goes to Pop's after the first time, unless they just don't know better, or love abuse. The Marion County Sheriffs office should just set up a sub-station in there to arrest 60% of there customers. The employees could not be ruder unless they just started pissing on your leg. And even then I would prefer that as long as they did not talk to you while pissing on you. The place is just a waste. IMHO, of course. To each there own.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    The kid at Pop is a piece of work.
    Has he tried to show anyone recently how quick he is at taking a 1911 apart? He did this to a couple of friends I was with who don't own a 1911. He quickly lost all the parts on the floor. After he got all the parts he made the dumbest comment ever "I can see you are impressed, would you like to buy this Colt?"

223 Gunner

Master
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I haven't taken time to read the entire thread. But there is no comparison really. BGF hands down. Also there have been car break-ins at POP's, so while you are on a lane, or waiting for one, your car may get broken in to. I know you took all your guns in with you right?? But still it's a hassle that you may have to deal with.

BGF has a fenced lot.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I've never shot at either place but BGF is a nice place so I would guess the range is nice, also. I've never really heard anything good about Pops.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I haven't taken time to read the entire thread. But there is no comparison really. BGF hands down. Also there have been car break-ins at POP's, so while you are on a lane, or waiting for one, your car may get broken in to. I know you took all your guns in with you right?? But still it's a hassle that you may have to deal with.

BGF has a fenced lot.

It is the regular clientele looking through your stuff while you are inside.

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I appreciate all the candid opinions. Sounds like I need to take my business to BGF. That does not necessarily make me unhappy... Was just going to save myself the time if Pop's range was worth it. Sounds as though it is not.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I've been in Pops once. I will not set foot in there again until hell freezes over, or every single individual who manages or works at that establishment is fired and replaced with half-way decent human beings.

Top Bottom