• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    Anyone doing the Nite Ride in Indy Saturday night? My brother in law and I am doing it. Next year, pending family expansion timing maybe, my daughter will be in a trailer behind my bike and my wife will rejoin us on the ride. Last year she didn't do it due to being pregnant and she isn't doing it this year due to the baby.

Going to miss this year. First one I will miss in 6-7 years. I miss the days where they had it out at Major Taylor Velodrome. Lots of fun watching the races. Now we usually go to an Indians game before when it's at IUPUI. I suppose every venue has its good/bad.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Went on my third ride of the year this morning. Trying to get back into it after not riding at all in 2014 & 2015. Had a nice 20 mile ride but the aluminum frame is beating me to death. Hopefully I can get into a carbon frame before to long. An upgraded group set would be nice also.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    PDog, I've had good luck with an early Giant carbon fiber frame. It isn't stiff enough for racing but is very comfortable and relatively compliant. I find newer CF frames to be way to stiff. You could run over a dime and tell the date on the face.

If you ever get the chance, pick up a Nivachrome frame. Its a type of tool steel that is light and strong. You get a super strong, quite light frame with the comfortable ride of steel and theyre practically indestructable if you don't stack

Some of the best deals might come campy equipped but there's nothing wrong with c-record

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I was looking at bikes last week in a shop that's close by. They had a Scott Solace which looked pretty nice and is supposed to strike a nice balance between performance and comfort. The owner of the shop has a 2015 Merckx which he rode last year and he thought I might like it. I'm planning to go back in this week and ride both to see how I like them.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    It was a good ride, I ended up about 20' from the starting line he so we didn't have to walk much like two years ago when it was at the same place. We finished by 12:30, at the end my knees were feeling only riding once this year.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Had some stars line up and was able to purchase a new bike this afternoon. Ended up going with a new 2014 Scott Solace 20. For whatever reason the newer models have the Shimano 105 groupset and this one has Ultegra so I'm pleased with that, especially considering what I paid. I hadn't planned on buying today and was going back in to look at options and the store owner made an offer I couldn't turn down for it. I drove my car so I couldn't haul it home so I'm going to have my wife drop me off when I get off work tomorrow and I'll ride it home.

D396F02B-DDB8-463E-8E52-5179ADF06C9E_zps1zteng70.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Took the long way home from the bike shop with the new ride. 17 miles and I'm blown away at how nice this thing is to ride. I need a new saddle but the ride is amazing. Planning a nice long ride Saturday morning and can't wait!

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Three of us from work decided that we needed a new place to ride. Went to Indy and rode the Monon/White River/Canal trails on Wednesday. Started up in Westfield, at the park behind the Police Station. Nice 45 mile round trip. Rode the Cannondale Quick and had a good time. We are planning on doing it again with more riders in the near future.

Have a century planned for 21 July with the Low-Riders recumbent club. Going to ride the Cardinal Greenway trail from Gaston to Richmond and back. Will be using the Catrike Expedition for that one.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Rode 26 miles with a small group Saturday morning and got 30 miles in solo this morning which is a new personal best distance for me, got it done in 1:51. It's not much to the guys I ride with but I feel good about inching closer to my goals.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Rode 26 miles with a small group Saturday morning and got 30 miles in solo this morning which is a new personal best distance for me, got it done in 1:51. It's not much to the guys I ride with but I feel good about inching closer to my goals.

Avg speed of 15 or so is bottom edge of aerobic workout. You're there, my man. And if it matters, you burn more fat in that second hour. Just remember to eat a very little bit because your metab needs some nutrient help to burn fat :yesway:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Thanks. I learned pretty early on about eating properly before and during a ride. I've been doing pretty good about not bonking or overeating.

Hoping to join a group ride this evening if the weather holds. I took yesterday off and I'm itching to get back on it.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Gearhead here. Love riding and working on bikes. Own three. A Cannondale Quick flat-bar road bike. A Cannondale H400 touring bike. And a Catrike Expedition 30 speed trike. Usually do two centuries each summer. Belong to an old persons trike riding club, (Lowriders), and we have a blast. We often ride the Nickle Plate Trail on Sundays, but today we did 45 miles on the Panhandle Pathway Trail. Also love restoring old Schwinn's and fixing up bikes for friends. Planning a solo trip on the Katy Trail in MO, in the fall. 475 miles of riding and camping.

Three to four days a week, I hang out at Victory Bike Shop in Kokomo. It has to be the most politically incorrect place in all of Indiana. The owner is also a Class III manufacturer and dealer and has an FFL.

Ha! You've probably met my retired neighbor at Victory Bike Shop. He was wanting to purchase a tadpole trike earlier this year but I think didn't. He was talking about all the guys that hang out at Victory. White/grey mustache.

My 'bent is a Sun-Trike. Very comfortable.

michaelw2608

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    New to the cycling world, bought a 2014 Trek 1.2 a month or so ago. I work in Indy on Wednesdays and Thursdays and was thinking about trying to ride the Monon some in the mornings before work. How crowded is it at say 6:30 in the morning? Will be on the section from 96th street till trail ends in Westfield. ~20 miles round trip. I'm assuming that section of the trail is pretty safe, even with little traffic.

Also, any Strava users on here? Would love to follow some fellow INGOers.

Top Bottom