• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    This is where I work. This is a 2 building complex inside a 10 square mile plant.

rimg.php

To get an idea of the size, look where it says #1 BOP shop. under that are some doors. Inside the door on the left, is a yellow blob. That is a locomotive. (They yellowbird. It moves steel between #1 BOP and the LMF.)
    Also, on the bottom of the left, you can see little cars.
    I used to work in 1 BOP.
    Now I'm at the Caster. That's the building where it says "Gary Works". The building that is on is the Caster. I work from that sign, north (toward top of pic). I also can get sent to the BOP (towards the bottom of pic). The office I work out of is about 2 or 3 stories under that sign.

In the background you can see buildings that look like a bunch of pipes. Those are the Blast Furnaces. I never worked there. If you've seen the movie "Pearl Harbor" (the sucky one), they were used in filming, to simulate the bombing of a Japanese steel mill because Blast Furnaces tend to "stick out".
    In fact, when the Blue Angels fly a show at the Gary Beach, they line up with the Blast Furnaces because they are so visible.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    16766083134_7f604351dd_b.jpg

This is a "sub car", or a "submarine car". Some mills call them "torpedo car". This is what they use to bring iron that Blast Furnace made, to the BOP shop where the iron will be made into steel.

While making the steel, impurities form slag. The slag is poured into a "thimble".
    kamag-slag-transporter.jpg

This is the car that caries the thimble, with a thimble loaded up.
    The thimble is not kept in the car, because if you pour wrong, well there'd be no car left. Plus there are a lot of thimbles, and only so many cars.
    For a size comparison, there is a man in the cab.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    By the way. No, these are not my pics. The mill tends to fire people that take pics. They find them if they post online.
    Since I almost got busted, I don't put any online anymore.

ladlecheck_012.jpg

After the iron in the sub car gets "desulfer'd" it gets poured into a "hot metal" ladle.
    This is the ladle you see. It is pouring the iron into one of the furnaces in the BOP.
    The picture on the right is a "thermal scan". This is done to look for hot spots. Yes, it looks hot all over. But if the masonry used to line the ladle is compromised, you will see it on the thermal scan. If this happens, it is important to "reladle" the steel, and send the ladle out to be relined.

steel-worker-us-steel-edgar-thomson-plant-basic-oxygen-process-shop-B61F10.jpg

This is how you take the temperature of the furnace.
    In the center of the pic is a shield to try to keep some of the heat off the man.
    I'm not sure where the pic is from, but in my mill the man should be wearing his "silvers". Aluminum lined clothes.
    The steel at this point will be between 2,700 and 3,000 degrees. Sometimes I've seen up to 3,100.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    6276919850_dd0d27d965_z.jpg

This is a ladle that we use for the steel that the iron is made into.
    This ladle is coming in from being relined/fixed.
    We don't normally carry them in trucks.

lossy-page1-4052px-thumbnail.tif.jpg

This gives the size of the "hot metal" ladle.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Dansteel---Valsestol---1737.jpg

At the caster, we take the ladle of steel and pour a continuous slab. The slab is cut to length, based on the order.
    There are thousands of grades of steel. Each ladle can be a different grade.
    The computer keeps track of it all, so that it knows where on the slab each grade is, and it knows what size to cut. A ladle can make up several slabs.

steel-mill-kress-slab-hauler.jpg

A slab hauler removes the slabs and moves them to "finishing" where it is made into plate or coil.
    These slabs are something like 30 to 40 tons each.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    U-S-Steel-s-Clairton-Plant-1.jpg

I started here. Well not really. This is from Clairton works. I'm at Gary works.
    But, it is a coke oven battery.
    On the right you can see some men, give you the size comparison.
    They are next to the doors on the oven. Each oven holds, I forget, I think 30 tons of coal, that is then cooked into coke. Which is one of the ingredients the Blast Furnace needs.
    That thing to the left of those men, or in front of the men at the bottom of the pic. That's NOT a building.
    It's a "pusher".
    It takes a door off the oven. A "door machine" on the other side (off pic to right) removes a door.
    Then the door machine pushes 27 or so tons (loss of weight due to byproducts cooked off, collected, and sold) into a train where it is sent to be quenched.

Last edited:

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    Very cool stuff Act. I live a little over 5 miles from Steel Dynamics. Some nights you can hear the plant doing whatever they're doing. Making steel obviously, but I know it's more complicated than that.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Very cool stuff Act. I live a little over 5 miles from Steel Dynamics. Some nights you can hear the plant doing whatever they're doing. Making steel obviously, but I know it's more complicated than that.

A bit.
    And there's noise, and there are accidents with BOOMs.
    This is an overseas plant. This is what happens if water gets in the furnace, and you pour iron on top of the water. (They have smaller ladles than ours. Like 1/2 or 1/3)..

The fun starts about 1 minute. Just after you see the man go into the shack.
    Just in case something like this happens.
    [video=youtube_share;zkph_NNC73g]https://youtu.be/zkph_NNC73g[/video]

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    A bit.
    And there's noise, and there are accidents with BOOMs.
    This is an overseas plant. This is what happens if water gets in the furnace, and you pour iron on top of the water. (They have smaller ladles than ours. Like 1/2 or 1/3)..

The fun starts about 1 minute. Just after you see the man go into the shack.
    Just in case something like this happens.
    [video=youtube_share;zkph_NNC73g]https://youtu.be/zkph_NNC73g[/video]

:thatshot:

Top Bottom