• ...and so much more!
  • unshelledpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    Hammond
    Hello Folks,

I'm posting this as an AAR to an incident that occurred in my home tonight. I feel it will help me analyze my reaction and recollection to events and also get some feedback from the community here. Thanks for the read.

My wife and I were relaxing before bed tonight (9-6, 2350 approx.), in our basement entertainment room, when we heard a loud crash and what sounded like glass breaking and shuffling feet. I immediately grabbed the closest firearm, my EDC glock 17 and told my wife to dial the cops if she heard anything else.

I proceeded to go up the steps that lead to my kitchen and I start my clearing routine. Immediately I'm stuck with a bad choice. There are two doorways in my kitchen, one that leads to the dining room and the other to a hallway with another door to my office at the opposite end of it and stairs leading up next to the kitchen. Approaching either leaves me exposed to the other. I rush through into the dining room and quickly scan; nothing. From there, I move into my living toom , once again, nothing. Now I position myself at the opposite end of the aforementioned hallway and prepare to move into my office. I round the corner and move into the office, a quick scan reveals nothing. Now I turn and move back into the hallway and up the stairs. My staircase is odd in that it leads to a t shaped hallway, that, when walking up normally, leaves my back to the only two rooms on the upper floor. Knowing this, I walk up the stairs backwards with my eyes on the rooms. As I walk I can see my wife's cat crouching on the balcony overlooking the staircase. I top the stairs and head towards the rooms. Once again, faced with two bad choices, because the rooms are opposite each other, entering one leaves me exposed to the other. I choose left and rush and clear that room and quickly move across the hall into the other. Nothing.

Now I can relax

I go back through my house to try and find what made all the commotion. From what I can tell, the cat was playing with one of its toys when it knocked over a broom in the kitchen, causing it to take off running, knocking over a vase and breaking it. The shuffling was from the toy, which was still tangled in its paws, when I finally found the cat again.

The whole process from basement to upper floor took about 2minutes.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I would be securing those doors that leave you exposed.

Hell of a time to discover holes in your tactical plan, huh ?

Which means you didn't have one.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    There's nothing like a bang in the night to help you realize what about your clearing technique needs to be changed or thought through a bit more. Good news is you had a gun nearby.

I'll leave it to some of the experts to comment on technique. Glad everything is ok.

unshelledpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    Hammond
    Most of these aren't even doors. Just passageways. Any door that can close , stays closed for this very reason. Most of the risk comes from the Kitchen hallway and upstairs hallway. My house is not the kind to clear alone. Looking back, it was incredibly stupid of me to even attempt this because I left my wife unarmed. But I take it as a learning experience and now I know where deficiencies are in my plan that I did not anticipate. This is why I write these things down as soon as possible.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Yeah, we always make sure each of us has access to something to shoot if need be. I've come back from investigating noises in the night to find my lovely bride taking partial cover with her glock and phone ready to call 911. That always makes me feel good.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Okay, the IMPORTANT question first:

Did you untangle the toy from "Fluffy"? :lmfao:

Glad it turned out to be 'nothing'. Time to start compiling 'lessons learned' AND 'response to lessons learned'.

Tactics / ideas can be discussed, but better to leave out specifics of the home 'just in case', on the internet (yeah, yeah... 'paranoid'... whatever).

Good idea writing it down a.s.a.p. As 24Carat aptly noted, such 'holes in the plan' simple illustrates that one doesn't quite exist yet. Better to find out this way then if a few low-lifes had actually broken in. :yesway:

First one (as noted) is leaving the Lady with just a cell phone. You could now be in more trouble than if there HAD been a break-in! :laugh: That needs to be revamped a.s.a.p. Another firearm, a different firearm, etc.

Walk through / think through the house clearing. How COULD / SHOULD you go about clearing two opposing walkways, hallways, rooms, etc. by yourself, in that home? Look at the layout, 'cause at some point you'll need to pick ONE. Which one? Easiest and quickest first? Check behind open doors via the gap between door and frame? Is there a way to clear one while keeping an eye on the other, even peripherally? If YOU were the BG, which would YOU choose? Why?

Can that be changed by adding in your wife as a 'clearing partner'? Maybe, maybe not. Does she have the skill sets, or is she willing to acquire the skill sets to work in tandem? Depending on viewpoint, the 'toughest' job may be 'point man', but that person behind ya better know exactly what they're doing AND what you're doing. And vice versa. If not, probably better to just do it alone, and have her 'hole up' until the all clear.

Keep in mind, when searching / clearing, IF there's a BG(s), they know where you are, you don't know where they are. An adrenalin pounding contest of 'hide & seek'. You must negate their advantage and exploit the one (or more) you definitely have. It's your home and you know every nook & cranny of it (or should).

If YOU were the BG, which room (opposing doorways) would YOU pick? Why? Is it possible to adapt / alter / modify one room (or both) to 'force' the BG to choose one over the other, even psychologically? Use of decorative mirrors, lighting, locks, door types, etc. can aid in clearing and / or used to 'force' a choice. Like a magician's trick. YOU think it's a 'free choice', the magician even tells you that it is. In reality, however, he knows the card even before he arrived to meet you. You'll 'freely choose' whatever card HE decides. Same concept.

Don't forget to do this 'lessons learned & response' with your wife. In that way, while she may still maintain the same position (now able to defend herself, right? Good.), she's a set of 'new eyes' with a different perspective on things. That's a GOOD thing. The "Lady of the house" has every desire (oft times, more!) to defend her home as intensely as the 'Henpecked Husband' (Yes you are. Yes, WE are. Just admit it!).

Last edited:

unshelledpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    Hammond
    Yeah, we always make sure each of us has access to something to shoot if need be. I've come back from investigating noises in the night to find my lovely bride taking partial cover with her glock and phone ready to call 911. That always makes me feel good.

It just so happened that tonight was one of those nights we weren't both armed. I was lucky it turned out to be nothing. I only had on my pajama pants and a single mag in the gun.

unshelledpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    Hammond
    Okay, the IMPORTANT question first:

Did you untangle the toy from "Fluffy"? :lmfao:

Glad it turned out to be 'nothing'. Time to start compiling 'lessons learned' AND 'response to lessons learned'.

Tactics / ideas can be discussed, but better to leave out specifics of the home 'just in case', on the internet (yeah, yeah... 'paranoid'... whatever).

Good idea writing it down a.s.a.p. As 24Carat aptly noted, such 'holes in the plan' simple illustrates that one doesn't quite exist yet. Better to find out this way then if a few low-lifes had actually broken in. :yesway:

First one (as noted) is leaving the Lady with just a cell phone. You could now be in more trouble than if there HAD been a break-in! :laugh: That needs to revamped a.s.a.p. Another firearm, a different firearm, etc.

Walk through, and think through the house clearing. How COULD / SHOULD you go about clearing two opposing walkways, hallways, rooms, etc. by yourself? Look at the layout, 'cause at some point you'll need to pick ONE. Which one? Easiest and quickest first? Check behind open doors via the gap between door and frame? Is there a way to clear one while keeping an eye on the other, even peripherally?

Can that be changed by adding in your wife as a 'clearing partner'? Maybe, maybe not. Does she have the skill sets, or is she willing to acquire the skill sets to work in tandem? Depending on viewpoint, the 'toughest' job may be 'point man', but that person behind ya better know exactly what they're doing AND what you're doing. And vice versa. If not, probably better to just do it alone, and have her 'hole up' until the all clear.

Keep in mind, when searching / clearing, IF there's a BG(s), they know where you are, you don't know where they are if they're laying in wait. An adrenalin pounding contest of 'hide & seek'. You must negate their advantage and exploit the one (or more) you definitely have. It's your home and you know every nook & cranny of it (or should).

Don't forget to do this 'lessons learned & response' with your wife. In that way, while she may still maintain the same position (now able to defend herself, right? Good.), she's a set of 'new eyes' with a different perspective on things. That's a GOOD thing. The "Lady of the house" has every desire (oft times, more!) to defend her home as intensely as the 'Henpecked Husband' (Yes you are. Yes, WE are. Just admit it!).

I got the cat untangled, but not without a fight. It's never really taken a liking to me.

As for leaving the lady defenseless; it just so happened that we deviated from our routine. Usually our wind down before bed takes place in the bedroom, where we both have our nightstand guns where they belong, on the nightstands. She wanted to watch Netflix, and the only place we could do that is in the basement. Me grabbing my piece was a complete afterthought. Now I know, carry everywhere.

On my clearing plan: Looking back, I thought the plan I had in place was solid. BUT, now I see one HUGE deficiency. It assumes that I have the high ground. I never ran my drills from the basement-UP. From the top down, it's solid, and I can run it by myself. But I never thought to run it backwards. Now I can see that any starting point, besides the top down approach, is going to require two. The angles on the two risky hallways are 180. there's no way for one person to cover both approaches fully. This brings me to my next point. I would love if my wife could be a clearing partner, but, at the moment, she doesn't have the skills, for now I have to assume she will end up barricaded. I will work with her on how to clear and secure a building.

unshelledpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    Hammond
    Now that I think about it, this was the first time I've encountered a situation like this. I was scared out of my mind, but my ultimate goal was protecting me and mine, and I think that was the driving factor that kept me moving.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Gotta ask....what about instead of having a plan to "sweep" your house, you have a plan to GTFO of any room in the house and let the police do what they're trained to do?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Gotta ask....what about instead of having a plan to "sweep" your house, you have a plan to GTFO of any room in the house and let the police do what they're trained to do?

Not even an option here. I understand this way of thinking but just not my mindset.

We were tested in a similar way a few weeks ago by a loud crash in the early A.M.

There were not really any holes in our program "But".............getting torn from deep sleep and responding is harder than a lot of folks think it is. 1st getting my mind/vision cleared to get the sure fire and not blow my eyes out before they adjust.....getting the 1911 from the night stand safely as manual dexterity from sleep to defensive takes a minute at my age......moving through the house towards the back yard where the noise came from (could have been back door) all the while still clearing my head/vision as eyes adjust to the sure fire light.....rear door intact/locked....exit to the back yard and do a sweep with the light and my mind/body are just now coming up to speed.....Sweep the entire area and see no one.....just as I realize I am in the backyard in my skivvies armed and alert I see the huge bug zapper lying on the ground. The mount had broken and the unit hit the ground. Went in to tell the wife all is well and the whole ordeal was under 4 minutes.
    It was a good test of my ability to respond to a situation from a dead sleep. What seriously sucked was it took well over an hour to get back to sleep.....:(

It is not an easy thing to defend your home. Have a plan. Plans are not rock solid but having one will set you off in the right direction in the right frame of mind.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Sometimes there are no good options. Having said that, I hope you have a great fire escape plan that you've practiced.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Small beans I know but we have a strategically located small desk lamp on a remote control keyfob that can lend a lot to defusing a situation and mainly softening an adrenaline pump.

Top Bottom