• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    My cat created a similar situation years ago by knocking over a copper collection above my kitchen cabinets.
    In my pre-1911/pre-shotgun/pre-AR days, all I had at the time was a .38 J-frame...and I felt very under-gunned.
    One of the things I took away was to NOT leave my gun locked up in the mini-vault.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    There are no good ways to clear a home by yourself. There are only less bad ways.

Ask yourself why rush? Was there anyone else in the house you needed to get to? Can you "quietly rush" or would it be pretty obvious where in the house you were to anyone with the forethought to stop and wait for you? Would you rather wait in ambush and listen or would you rather rush into an ambush yourself?

The need to "do something" can be powerful. It can also get you smoked. Sometimes simply waiting, orienting, and evaluating is the better play.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    This is why I can see all of my homes video surveillance cameras from the downstairs entertainment area. No need to rush into something you don't know about either as BBI pointed out. I'd just access the downstairs weapons locker and clear at my convenience...call back up if needed. It's easier to secure the stairwell until you are comfortable with moving on. I'd be going upstairs with a shotgun, sword, and a family trained in firearms. Remember, the family that shoots together has interlocking fields of fire.

Cats, they don't care. Our dog would have been the first one up the stairs...

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Most of these aren't even doors. Just passageways. Any door that can close , stays closed for this very reason. Most of the risk comes from the Kitchen hallway and upstairs hallway. My house is not the kind to clear alone. Looking back, it was incredibly stupid of me to even attempt this because I left my wife unarmed. But I take it as a learning experience and now I know where deficiencies are in my plan that I did not anticipate. This is why I write these things down as soon as possible.
    I'm curious if you and your wife have ever had strategy conversations about what to do when and/or drilled?

I'm a big fan of a guard dog for these kinds of things. Their contribution to the efforts is well worth the hassle of keeping them.

Gotta ask....what about instead of having a plan to "sweep" your house, you have a plan to GTFO of any room in the house and let the police do what they're trained to do?
    Because no one knows my house like I do, and I can clear it faster (and arguably better) than they can. Because I don't want to bother them for a cat that knocked over a vase. Because I still have to expose myself to risk in attempting to make that exit. Because I have dogs [STRIKE]I don't want shot[/STRIKE] that help me determine if it's a real threat and help me deal with it.

unshelledpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    Hammond
    Gotta ask....what about instead of having a plan to "sweep" your house, you have a plan to GTFO of any room in the house and let the police do what they're trained to do?

I'd rather not be "that guy" who calls the cops every time he hears the slightest bump in the night. Hindsight is 20/20 and that's why I posted the situation. Ultimately, the decision is mine and if my first choice is going to be securing my home, I want to be the best Ican possibly be. That being said, barricading is a valid option, but not for me in THIS particular situation.

unshelledpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    Hammond
    I'm curious if you and your wife have ever had strategy conversations about what to do when and/or drilled?

I'm a big fan of a guard dog for these kinds of things. Their contribution to the efforts is well worth the hassle of keeping them.

I do talk to her about these thing, but she is kind of stubborn in her belief that "nothing can happen to us". It's unfortunate that it takes legitimate scares to convince her of listening to my strategies and running drills, but this is better than nothing.

I would love to have a dog, but our work schedules leave us away from home most of the day. The cat pretty much takes care of itself. I would love to get a German Shepard and a dachshund, though. (Kudos to anyone who gets that reference)

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We have a dog, she's a pit bull and border collie mix, and she absolutely HATES visitors of any kind. A few months back, my wife and I were watching TV late at night when the "loud crash" Happened. The dog immediately got up and went straight up the stairs to the loft, and started sniffing around where a shelf holding blankets had collapsed, causing the house shaking crash. If not for the dog, I would have been all over the house looking to see what had happened, as the linen shelf isn't in an area that anyone could access from outside without sawing a hole in the exterior wall.

I did indeed have my SR 9 ON my person when the loud noise happened. Always carry even while relaxing around the house. +1 to you for that, -1 to you for leaving the wife unarmed. Bottom line.......get a good dog, I would not feel safe in my home without ours.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Clearing any structure alone sucks. There is no way to cover your 6 or secure areas you are not in. Perhaps train with your wife to clear the house together? Even if one of you provides rear security while the other clears a room, it's better than leaving yourself exposed.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I do talk to her about these thing, but she is kind of stubborn in her belief that "nothing can happen to us". It's unfortunate that it takes legitimate scares to convince her of listening to my strategies and running drills, but this is better than nothing.
    That's a common complaint. Just to make sure you know, I wasn't criticizing. I was genuinely curious.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI

I would love to have a dog, but our work schedules leave us away from home most of the day. The cat pretty much takes care of itself. I would love to get a German Shepard and a dachshund, though. (Kudos to anyone who gets that reference)

My wife was home with her mom when she was 15 and someone tried to break in. Her mom fumbled to load a shotgun and dropped the shells all over the floor. As it happened the only neighbour within a half mile was a sherriff's deputy home early from his shift. The bad guy fled when he saw a rather portly, shotgun toting cop headed for him.

They were incredibly lucky. Needless to say my wife thinks that was her "freebie" and was pretty keen on the idea when we had the gun talk upon moving in together.

This was in a small town with virtually no crime of any kind. It can happen anywhere. Learning the basics and having a plan makes you both safer.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Problem can be easily fixed with a dedicated SD gun always loaded in a bedside safe (if kiddos around) or leaning against the side of a dresser. A cujo alarm system also works wonders.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    That's a common complaint. Just to make sure you know, I wasn't criticizing. I was genuinely curious.

Are you married? If so, do you and your husband plan and drill together?

I ask because my wife thought it all slightly silly at first, but quickly saw the value. It's now something we bond over.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Clearing any structure alone sucks. There is no way to cover your 6 or secure areas you are not in. Perhaps train with your wife to clear the house together? Even if one of you provides rear security while the other clears a room, it's better than leaving yourself exposed.

Agreed -
    You should keep yourself covered while clearing the house.

VUPDblue -
    Curious how many "Cat" calls you've gone out on.
    I'm sure not to many here would call the police on every bump in the night but there's got to be a few out there that assume the department is their own personal security blanket for nite-nite.

do you and your husband plan and drill together?

A little personal, wouldn't you say? :rolleyes:

unshelledpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    Hammond
    Problem can be easily fixed with a dedicated SD gun always loaded in a bedside safe (if kiddos around) or leaning against the side of a dresser. A cujo alarm system also works wonders.

That's a good idea, but it only works if the guns are nearby. I keep all my weapons loaded and ready to go near the bedside (no kids yet). We had just gotten home from a bbq and we were bloated and tired. Having only my glock was a stroke of luck. Our nighttime routine usually takes place in the bedroom, but last night, the wife wanted to watch Netflix and the only place to do that was away from all the guns. I grabbed my piece as an afterthought.

Top Bottom