Bill Making Happy Hour Legal Heads To Governors Desk…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Don’t think I have ever bought singles in my life and six packs since high school… :lmfao:

In my misspent youth, it was a fairly common thing for folks to realize they had planned poorly and need beer on Sunday, which you had to cross the river to buy. So you'd buy a warm case or two and a cold get home beer or two...

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Another funny liquor law I remember from my traveling work days was in the little town of Dalhart TX. Dalhart is on the upper panhandle of Texas and straddles two counties. When I was there, in the late 80's, one of those counties was dry and the other one was not. My friends and I would go to a bar called Swayze's that was on the dry side of town. At Swayze's, they could serve beer and wine, but not spirits; however, you could buy a bottle of spirits at the liquor store on the other side of town and bring it into the bar to drink it. You had to show your bottle to the waitress and keep it on the table, and they charged more for your Coke if you were drinking liquor.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I think Corbin Kentucky is still partially dry. It used to be if you were on the west side of I75, you could buy beer, on the east, nope. I always wondered why Sonnys bbq chose to build on the wrong side of the highway.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    In my misspent youth, it was a fairly common thing for folks to realize they had planned poorly and need beer on Sunday, which you had to cross the river to buy. So you'd buy a warm case or two and a cold get home beer or two...
    Mike walsh liquor store in downtown Louisville. Made a trip there almost every Sunday back in the 80s and early 90s. The place closed shortly after Indiana got Sunday sales. Usually on Sunday, the entire parking lot was full of Indiana cars.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Remember seeing news video of people at bars with their nights worth of eight drinks in front of them after they bought four drinks buy one get one free…

Not something that needed changing. The funny part is most national chains just offered the drinks that were happy hour specials in other states all day here to comply with the law…
    Counter-point: not something that needed state regulation in the first place. Responsible people would be responsible, and irresponsible people would be irresponsible, either way. Driving under the influence of alcohol would remain illegal, either way.

I don't need the state babysitting me.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    It wasn't the reduced price that was the issue. It was the limited time thing. Like Mike said above, people would go in and order 8 drinks at a time. Some might nurse them all night, but a lot would just down them in the limited time that they were offered, getting hammered really quick and then driving home. I remember them well. A lot of places had deals on appetizers too, like 25 cent peel and eat shrimp or wings.
    So?

Do you really think they're not going to do that, one way or the other? Drunk driving is illegal, regardless of how much an intoxicated person pays for their drinks or what time of the day they buy those drinks.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    There will always be laws (rules for how society will operate) needed to some degree. Humans are incapable of operating without such laws. Proponents say selling alcohol based on time encourages excess consumption of those already impaired…
    Laws should be based on regulating behaviors that are inherently harmful. Drunk driving is inherently harmful. Paying half price for an alcoholic beverage is not inherently harmful.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    ”It's rather silly that selling alcoholic beverages at a reduced price is illegal.”

That is not what the law said. Paraphrased, it said you cannot sell alcohol based on time.

How about a bar offers more free drinks if you buy ten drinks in a hour?

I get the whole freedom thing generally, do we have any laws? If there are any you want to keep, makes those special?
    How about it? Maybe I'm buying for a group. Maybe I'm buying a round for the bar. Maybe I'm not planning on driving, and it doesn't matter how plastered I get.

Less nanny state, please.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Did anyone note the law also allows to-go cocktails? What are thoughts on that?
    Food delivery services (Door Dash, Uber Eats) are going to love it. And so are people who want to carry out to enjoy their meals (and cocktails) at home.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    So do away with all alcohol laws? Should DUI go away? After all until they hit someone they didn’t hurt anyone else?
    This is the Straw Man. DUI inherently causes harm. Selling beverages at an agreed-upon price does not inherently cause harm.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Mike walsh liquor store in downtown Louisville. Made a trip there almost every Sunday back in the 80s and early 90s. The place closed shortly after Indiana got Sunday sales. Usually on Sunday, the entire parking lot was full of Indiana cars.
    People of a certain age in my area of Indiana remember going to the Triangle bar in Greenville, Ohio to drink 3.2 beer after you turned 18.

I also remember a big dust-up between several groups of fine folks at a local seasonal campground where police were called in to restore order. I was told that the cause of the ruckus was that somebody drank somebody else's "Sunday beer" on Saturday.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Laws should be based on regulating behaviors that are inherently harmful. Drunk driving is inherently harmful. Paying half price for an alcoholic beverage is not inherently harmful.
    The law is not about price at all. It is about selling based on time. Truth is we consumers benefited by special priced drinks being available all day…

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    The law is not about price at all. It is about selling based on time. Truth is we consumers benefited by special priced drinks being available all day…
    Same difference. Selling alcoholic beverages based on time is not inherently harmful.

Sellers can still offer special-priced drinks all day, if they so choose - unless I am mistaken.

Top Bottom