• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have been giving this a lot of study. It's something I'm interested in and with the help of others who had light primer strikes, I want to eliminate this common problem. Watching comparison videos and reading other forums, here's what I learned.

The Franklin gen 3 will work with AR 9's.
    Use the standard hammer spring in the kit, not the light spring.
    Purchase some anti walk hammer pins.
    It seems to binary better with a suppressor. My theory is more gas is being redirected through the gas tube. It may be a good idea to have an adjustable gas block for tuning.
    One forum suggests it works better with a standard buffer than a carbine buffer. My theory is more reciprocating buffer weight.
    Free float of a clean firing pin is important. Soaking the clean bolt in motor oil should keep the pin moving.

An adjustable gas block might help in this situation.

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    I have the FA binary trigger, and originally installed the lighter spring. It worked perfect on 9mm ans 22lr the first range trip, but then had light strikes on 9mm only the second trip. I swapped in the stiffer spring, but havent been back a third time to confirm the 9mm light strikes are fixed. On 22lr it is so much fun and so easy to control.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My biggest issue with running it with the .22lr kit is that I spend 3 minutes loading the dang mag and then 3 seconds to shoot it. I need more .22lr mags or maybe invent a CMMG mag speed loader. .22lr is a blast to play with in these.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My biggest issue with running it with the .22lr kit is that I spend 3 minutes loading the dang mag and then 3 seconds to shoot it. I need more .22lr mags or maybe invent a CMMG mag speed loader. .22lr is a blast to play with in these.

We have 6 mags for the 22 AR.....:cool:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Update on my last post.
    Fostech has complete lowers for its Echo II and Echo Sport. I was wondering what they run in their buffer, and it's an H2 heavy. So I started researching buffers.

The standard buffer never really needed any tuning, but with the introduction of the adjustable stock, the buffer tube is shorter. The heavier the buffer, it's like the bolt hitting a heavier dead blow hammer, and giving it time to catch up and clean the gas system out better. The trick is to tune it up to the point it still cycles reliably.

If I were running an AR 9, I would get the Franklin. I'm hearing the Echo Sport has a crisp trigger with no grit and about 5 1/2 pounds of pull. It has a selector disc above the trigger. The disc follows the trigger and comes down in the trigger guard during the shot, taking up some room.
    I don't like the Fostech complete lower. It has a closed trigger guard, and you could build a lower, with a bigger trigger guard, way cheaper than what they're asking.

Here is a link to tuning the buffer.
    https://www.wingtactical.com/buyers-guide-for-buffers-buffer-springs/

Here are some images concerning specific weights and order, and spring sizes.
    sJ8jO8P.jpg

7wk8CoH.jpg

3s3pssc.jpg

And of course 88 has the right idea with the 22 conversation.
    I'll give the Franklin another look before I jump in. Right now I'm feeling the Sport over the Echo II.

Top Bottom