• ...and so much more!
  • printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Wait......... I saw a documentary where it was blowing bathroom stall doors off the hinges.

[video=youtube;X8zn9xly1qE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8zn9xly1qE[/video]

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013

Right? Too small shot and discs, the shape with the worst sectional density of any bullet shape!

Rob Pincus did a video on the round and I don't really remember what he said about it... I do know that I wouldn't carry one. I've shot one some guy had loaded with buck shot, but it's still a 410... Its a snake gun at best IMO.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I have seriously considered buying one. As much as I would hate to choose a Taurus over a S&W, it seems that S&W has no plans to produce one with a 3" chamber while Taurus already has on one the street.

No, I do not consider it adequate for defense against dangerous humans or predators, but it does seem like it would be dandy for snakes and pest birds (i.e., starlings), both of which cause more problems on the farm than humans.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have seriously considered buying one. As much as I would hate to choose a Taurus over a S&W, it seems that S&W has no plans to produce one with a 3" chamber while Taurus already has on one the street.

No, I do not consider it adequate for defense against dangerous humans or predators, but it does seem like it would be dandy for snakes and pest birds (i.e., starlings), both of which cause more problems on the farm than humans.

I just bought the CCI snake shot shells for my .44 magnum. Cheaper by far, will fill a sheet of copy paper with shot at 7y so I'm figuring it would hit a snake at that distance, and let me carry two of the snake shot and then fill the rest of the cylinders with traditional ammunition and if issues arose I could just rotate the cylinder two notches and have "people/dog" ammo ready. (Single action .44, so half cock let the cylinder spin freely)

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I just bought the CCI snake shot shells for my .44 magnum. Cheaper by far, will fill a sheet of copy paper with shot at 7y so I'm figuring it would hit a snake at that distance, and let me carry two of the snake shot and then fill the rest of the cylinders with traditional ammunition and if issues arose I could just rotate the cylinder two notches and have "people/dog" ammo ready. (Single action .44, so half cock let the cylinder spin freely)

I would probably go that way if I already had a .44, but, unfortunately, I don't. Starting from scratch with a plan, the 3" .410 would seem to carry a heavier shot load which is the turning point in my thinking, but then again, this idea is still forming up in my head and I have been known to be wrong once in a while! :):

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Or buy something a little more convenient chambered in .45LC...that's a big weapon to carry for a .45 pistol round.

When the 410/45 revolvers first came out that is excatly what I thought, while with shot shells it would be pretty good for snakes, I felt it would be better than the shot shell 38/357/44/45 rounds but how much better really??? I mean folks have used the 38/357/44 and 45 shot shels for YEARS with good results. And while being able to shoot 45 colt (or 45 acp in the S&W Governors case) was neat with the length of the clynder to accomidate 410's, I mean there are SEVERAL better choices with better rounds, overal length, capacity and eas of use. To me the 410 revolver just a marketing ploy for some to jump onto (like when the lazers first started gaining in the earl 1990's and in Poffs a whiter trash type talking about getting a Glock 45 and with it he is good to 300 yards, guess I am just not that good, didn't realize a 45 was effective at 300, should get a lazer myself I guess)

It is all marketing, about like all the Boogie man is gonna get you commercials on Outdoor channel during the gun shows.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    You guys are 40 years behind the curve. I still have some .44mag hot shot loads in my ammo stash. Prepare to be underwhelmed by the overall performance of these hand cannon shotguns on real animals.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    To me the 410 revolver just a marketing ploy for some to jump onto

Well, remember the time frame when it was released. Carjacking was the Fear De Jeur, and it was marketed to that fear. At first glance it seemed reasonable, something that has a bit of spread to overcome the fact you won't get a traditional sight picture, will break the glass without deflecting, and is powerful. The problem was #3 wasn't actually there.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    OTs-62 12 Gauge "Service Revolver Shotgun" - The Firearm Blog

410 schmoreten...... go with 12 ga.

ots_62_12_gauge_the_firearm_blog-tm-tfb.jpg

And these.......
    12 Gauge... Pistols? - AllOutdoor.com

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I gave my wife a .410 snake charmer single shot...It has room for four rounds in the butt and a butt cuff that holds 8 more...A buddy reloaded me some "defense" loads with four .36 caliber muzzleloader round balls in it...I have shot them in a rotten stump and penetration is OK and the spread is horizontal and about 8 inches wide at 10 yards...

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I gave my wife a .410 snake charmer single shot...It has room for four rounds in the butt and a butt cuff that holds 8 more...A buddy reloaded me some "defense" loads with four .36 caliber muzzleloader round balls in it...I have shot them in a rotten stump and penetration is OK and the spread is horizontal and about 8 inches wide at 10 yards...

:faint:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I bought a Judge shortly after they were introduced and I still have it.
    I bought mine used but in new condition, and it was, at that time, a special order.
    It is a blued "Ultra-Lite" with a 2-1/2" chamber and a 4" barrel.

I never intended to carry it, I just wanted one.
    After shooting a few bird-shot and a cylinder or two of Colt, I went looking for other options.
    I found these, 0000 Buck (middle of the page)
    Paraklese Technologies LLC

I was intrigued so I ordered some.
    I did my own, highly unscientific test. I set up 4 gallon milk jugs filled with water. I applied two layers of denim to the front jug.
    From 21' (7 yards for those of you in Rio Linda) I got 3 of the projectiles back out of the 3rd jug.
    Three of the four balls made it at least 12" through water.

YMMV, but that's my experience, with my Judge, and that ammo.
    I still don't carry it, but not because I wouldn't trust it. It's just too bulky.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Right? Too small shot and discs, the shape with the worst sectional density of any bullet shape!

It fares decent in denim covered ballistics gel. The pellets are a waste, in my opinion. But those discs? I'd hate to get hit with those. Not that I'd like to get hit with any bullet or projectile.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    How's it do after meeting a rib? Will it break a femur after a few inches of muscle? Will it deflect or penetrate on an oblique angle shot on the skull?

I don't have any real world shootings to say. My guess is it will fare poorly, though, given the combination of poor sectional density and low inertia of the projectiles combined with a relatively lower velocity. Shot sucks at penetration, it's just that real shotguns put enough oomph behind it to make up for the inefficiency.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Even with slugs - typical 1/4 oz .410 slugs are just a hair lighter than most common 9mm rounds. I could not find any velocity numbers for that out of the Judge barrel - but I didn't look too hard.

I'd bet it's about on-par with most 9mm velocities out of most 3-5" pistols.

If I wanted 9mm performance - guess what? I'll use my 9mm with a total capacity of 18...vs. 5.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    How's it do after meeting a rib? Will it break a femur after a few inches of muscle? Will it deflect or penetrate on an oblique angle shot on the skull?

I don't have any real world shootings to say. My guess is it will fare poorly, though, given the combination of poor sectional density and low inertia of the projectiles combined with a relatively lower velocity. Shot sucks at penetration, it's just that real shotguns put enough oomph behind it to make up for the inefficiency.

I have absolutely no idea how it would fare. One reason why I don't have a Judge (although I would like one just for giggles) for EDC.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Once again i have to recommend the poly version. I carried it comfortably iwb holster. One pull of the trigger yields 4 36 caliber projectiles into a tight pattern under 7 yards. I never felt " not well armed".

Top Bottom