• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jzukjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    crawfordsville
    nyway, I proceeded to explain to him that I did in fact have a valid permit and was going to use it. He then told me to leave, but I was leaving anyway. I just was amazed that he thought I was an undercover cop. haha

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    nyway, I proceeded to explain to him that I did in fact have a valid permit and was going to use it. He then told me to leave, but I was leaving anyway. I just was amazed that he thought I was an undercover cop. haha
    :scratch:

jzukjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    crawfordsville
    Was out in Indy with my wife for my Bday. Went to the boring fashion mall and was carrying. After about an hour of following my wife around one security guy came up to me and asked if I was a cop. I told him I wasn't and that I wasn't aware you had to be a police officer to carry in public places. He got pretty crappy with me and called me a "smartass" and asked me to leave the mall even after i showed him my permit. I was leaving anyway because we were going somewhere else anyway. I just don't understand 1. how does a jerk like that work with people and 2. I didnt see any signs posted saying anything? Was I in the wrong?

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    all the malls around here are very anti gun, its not illegal to carry there but it is against company policy which means if they tell you to leave and you dont, you could get trespassing charges

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Was out in Indy with my wife for my Bday. Went to the boring fashion mall and was carrying. After about an hour of following my wife around one security guy came up to me and asked if I was a cop. I told him I wasn't and that I wasn't aware you had to be a police officer to carry in public places. He got pretty crappy with me and called me a "smartass" and asked me to leave the mall even after i showed him my permit. I was leaving anyway because we were going somewhere else anyway. I just don't understand 1. how does a jerk like that work with people and 2. I didnt see any signs posted saying anything? Was I in the wrong?

I don't agree with some of your actions, but I can't say you were "wrong" per se.
    I don't know about the mall you mention. If there is a sign there, it could be said you were in violation of their rules. You obviously knew what he meant; he asked if you were a cop and you knew immediately he was asking about you carrying. You showed him your LTCH, but had no reason to do so. He has no authority, power, nor right to demand to see it.

How does a jerk like that have a job working with people? Simple: He applied for the job and hasn't been fired yet. If the mall you went to is a Simon property, they're well-known (though maybe not by you) for being anti-gun. I don't give them any business, personally, at least not by choice.
    Finally, as to him calling you a "smartass", I would suggest that perhaps a call to his boss would be in order... describe him if you must, name him if you can, and relate the conversation as close to verbatim as you are able.

I don't present the above disagreement to say either that I'm right or that you're wrong, only to give you some things to consider. As to whether you were right or wrong... that's up to you to decide.

Blessings,
    Bill

jzukjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    crawfordsville
    I dont know honestly but you wouldn't have a badge unless you were impersonating a police officer, which is illegal

on another note is it illegal to lie to a mall cop and say yes I am a cop?[/QUOTE]

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Not illegal to lie to a mall security guard.

If you claim to be a LEO in order to obtain some benefit or exercise some authority you don't have, yes, you're impersonating a police officer. (going on memory here; the reasons may be stated in error.)

It also might put you in a bad spot if you're then asked to come with him because he needs a LEO for something (arresting a shoplifter, for example.)

I'd advise against it, though if he asks, "Are you a police officer?", you might answer, "Not locally." Completely true, although a bit misleading. Expect to have to excuse yourself to avoid further conversation after this, though. ;)

Blessings,
    Bill

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers

...if he asks, "Are you a police officer?", you might answer, "Not locally." Completely true, although a bit misleading. Expect to have to excuse yourself to avoid further conversation after this, though. ;)

Blessings,
    Bill

How about "...if I told you, I'd have to arrest you."
    :shady:

T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area
    Yeah I think the fashion mall is a simon property too...

on another note is it illegal to lie to a mall cop and say yes I am a cop?

If you claim to be a LEO in order to obtain some benefit or exercise some authority you don't have, yes, you're impersonating a police officer. (going on memory here; the reasons may be stated in error.)

It also might put you in a bad spot if you're then asked to come with him because he needs a LEO for something (arresting a shoplifter, for example.)

I'd advise against it, though if he asks, "Are you a police officer?", you might answer, "Not locally." Completely true, although a bit misleading. Expect to have to excuse yourself to avoid further conversation after this, though. ;)

Blessings,
    Bill

That is very tricky and I would recommend to NEVER give the impression to anyone that you are a law enforcement officer if you are not one.

Here is the wording of the Code Section:

IC 35-44-2-3
    Impersonation of a public servant
    Sec. 3. A person who falsely represents that the person is a public servant, with intent to mislead and induce another person to submit to false official authority or otherwise to act to the other person's detriment in reliance on the false representation, commits impersonation of a public servant, a Class A misdemeanor.

However, a person who falsely represents that the person is:
    (1) a law enforcement officer; or
    (2) an agent or employee of the department of state revenue, and collects any property from another person;
    commits a Class D felony.

Now you could argue that you weren't inducing the person to submit to your authority, but IMHO it is just bad form all the way around to to lead someone to believe you are a LEO when you aren't.

However, to answer the original question, "is it illegal to lie to a mall cop and say yes I am a cop?", I would say it depends on how it is done. Semantics could play a big part in your conviction or exoneration.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    there is no mention of no guns on the rules sign at metroplis, have carried there a few times oc with no issues.

Yes, Metropolis and Jefferson Point in Ft. Wayne aren't Simon Properties.

I'd still bet they've got that in one of their "rules" though...

-J-

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    if they don't see it, they can't ask you to leave. Yes I know oc is legal, I oc at times. But it is so much easier to cc and not have to deal with the bull****. OR look at the mall cop and say "Why, are you still pissed you couldn't be one, so now you must live your life pretending to matter"

Top Bottom